Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH - how many days post op did you drive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH - how many days post op did you drive? Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH - how many days post op did you drive?

Unread 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LAVH - how many days post op did you drive?

Or vacuum? I'm 7 days post op and feel fine doing dishes and some very light housework, but what about driving and vacuuming? My floors are a mess! I thought I'd try a little drive this weekend as a test.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Hi there sister!!!

I was not allowed to do anything for the first 2wks post op. What did your doctor tell you? You will find a list of milestones here on this site that are extremely helpful. I would suggest that you speak with your doctor before you attempt driving and or housecleaning. Your recovery process is very important and taking care of yourself is just as important. I tried to do some things too early and my body let me know it was too soon. So again, please check with your doctor about what you can and cannot do. If you have someone who can help then let them! I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and remember to pamper the princess!!!!

Bobbie In Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling, kept the Ovaries!
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM

My doctor told me I coul drive for a week post op. I saw her the other day for my 3 week post op visit and she still didn't want me vaccuuming. I'd check with your doctor before you push it too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM

I'm 2 wks post op tomorrow and i drove today for the first time. I didn't go long and not in heavy traffic but it was fine. Such freedom! Came home and laid down with ice pack on belly for an hour just in case the muscles were worn out. Still feeling fine though.
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Hi...I drove within a week of my LAVH, but held off on vacuuming for a while longer. Driving was more of a necessity than a pleasure cruise....someone had to pick the boys up from school.

Call your dr. to get the okay though, everyone is different.

Good luck.
Lis
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:33 PM

I drove 13 days after LSH. I saw the doctor at two and a half weeks out and at that point she cleared me for all activity. She said go slow because I will probably be sore in the beginning, but that I could resume normal activity when I felt up to it.
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM

I drove 5 days after my LAVH (I was supposed to wait a week but I was dying!) but doc said no vacuuming for 2 weeks. I have done a couple of things I shouldn't (lifted heavier than I should have) but no issues other than feeling a little more tired and tender later that day or the next.

Julie
LAVH - 12/31/07 - kept the ovaries
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:15 PM

I drove after the first week out of necessity, but my doctor told me no vacuuming for 6 weeks even though I can do other light household chores. I would take it as easy as you can for a while. You only have one chance to heal right.
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM

It was a couple of weeks before I drove, and then it was only short distances. Do yourself a big favor and do NOT even think about vacuuming before the 6 weeks mark. If it's a bare floor driving you crazy get a Swiffer duster mop and clean it that way. If you give yourself the 6 weeks to get a good clean start on healing you will be much better off. I am almost 3 months post op and I feel that I am not having any trouble now because I did not overdo. And there are still times now and then I might feel a little pull if I pick up something heavy. Other than the occasional twinge most days I forget I had it done. And that's where you want to be!
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

DO NOT VACUUM!! I was told not to drive for 2 weeks, but I also couldn't stand it and finally went out at about 10 days. I waited until I felt good and my insides wouldn't be so sore. I took it easy that's for sure.

I am told I have a 15-20 pound weight limit for LIFE!! So If I were you I would be really careful especially at this early time.......My vacuum is 19.8 pounds and I am looking for a new one that is lighter, but works well. I am very picky. I have a serious issue with them, I have 3 currently and I used to have 6. I just can't find the "best". LOL. I buy the best and they are still too loud or don't work well.

Oh, I have another idea....Enlist in a friend, kids, someone to vacumm the floors for you!!!!

Anyway, good luck, rest and really do not over do it. Don't lift......

Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register