New here, no insurance, and advice greatly needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, no insurance, and advice greatly needed New here, no insurance, and advice greatly needed

Unread 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
New here, no insurance, and advice greatly needed

Hello ladies,

I am new here and am very glad I was directed to this site. I have been told by my Gyn for about 5 years that a hysterectomy would be in my future, and in the last few months he's vehemently said I NEED one. (My conditions are listed in my signature)

My biggest obstacle, of course, is not having insurance. We are a family of 6 living solely on my husband's income (-/+ $48,000/yr) and have been denied any and all governmental assistance.

My conditions deteriorate by the day. I bleed constantly and live in pain almost daily. The heating pad is what keeps me going most days. He's prescribed me narcotic pain meds that I HATE taking. I don't want to live that way!

I have been told by the hospital that I have to put half of the hospital's fee down in order to receive the surgery ($7,500) and my Gyn has said I have to pay him in advance as well ($1,200). I am truly at my wits end. Does anyone know of any other way that I can have my surgery without having insurance? I have spoken to hospital advocates, several governmental programs (we make to much according to them), etc. to no avail. I am in Texas if that helps anyone.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Re: New here, no insurance, and advice greatly needed

what part of texas are u in i am near ft worth and i do know that ft worth has a hospital called JPS and they have a program that is baised on ur income and number of house hold members you might look into something like this in ur area let me know what part u r in and i can see what i can find out in ur area i hope this helps
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Some hospitals have charities that can donate funds for a surgery. You can try to contact both the hospital and the charity directly and see if they can help you. Also try some charitible organizations such as salvaton army or the red cross. They cannot help (I do not believe) but that can hopefully put you in touch with people who can help. Also try talking to the billing department for your doctor and the hospital and ask them flat out if they can have their doctors preform the surgery pro bono or if they can give you any help that they can. Some doctors will do it, but a lot of them will not. I hope you find some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2012, 01:39 PM

I had a similar situation with no insurance. Is your condition life threatening? Can your surgery be put off 6 months to a year? 2 years ago my doctor told me she was going to have to start doing some expensive tests as she was pretty sure hysterectomy was in my near future. She suggested I get insurance, as some of the tests were thousands of dollars.I could not afford insurance, but was in constant daily pain, and my health couldn't afford no to have the tests and fix the problems. I stalled another year, and got the same talk from my doctor. I called my parents for advice. I tried government assistance, didn't qualify. I searched for alternative programs, there were none unless my illness was life threatening. ( cancer, which mine wasn't) My Dad broke it down pretty good. He said if I figured up the insurance premiums for one year it would still end up being much less than being burdened with huge medical bills for many years to come.He was right. I got insurance ( $800 every three months). Waited 6 months for the preexisting condition requirement to pass, then went back to the doctor for tests. The initial testing she did ended up being way more than what 6 months of premiums had cost me so far. She then did a Laparoscopy surgery with D&C and hysterscopy which cost about $13,000. I only had to pay the deductible, so now I was way ahead on what I had spent on insurance premiums. Next came my hysterectomy. It ended up being totally free because I had already met my yearly out of pocket requirement and deductible with the last surgery. My hysterectomy bills that came to m my house were huge. It wasn't just the doctor and hospital charges. There are charges from Anesthesiologist and all kinds of other places and people. MY insurance was billed for hundreds on pharmacy bills too. I also had 3 post op visits to the emergency room and 2 cats scans ( all paid by insurance.) MY advise to you is GET INSURANCE if you can put off your surgery for a while. What you'll pay out in premiums and out of pocket costs is going to be so much less than your actual medical bills will be.
:cathugs:
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Have you looked into PCIP? Google "Texas health insurance preexisting" and it should come up. It's a government program to give people with preexisting conditions health insurance. The deductables aren't that low, but it would certainly save you a lot of money.
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM

I hope you finds some assistance..That was the only way I could even find out what was wrong with me. Because without it the doctors want run any test without money.I was going to do like cathb911 suggested. I was going to purchase insurance long enough to run the test to find out was it fiberoids as my doctor thought and have the surgery and post doctor visits. But I got approved for Charity which paid 100% of everything even doctor vist. My charity was through phobey. I had to be put in the hospital before surgery and given three rounds of blood. Please keep us posted. I will keep you lifted in prayer
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

I would try to get insurance and wait it out. It is very exspensive and thats just the down payment. If god forbid anytging else should be needed your talking tens of thousands. That way you will be covered. And you dont want just anyone doing your surgery. Lol hope you get help soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register