Did i overdo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did i overdo? Did i overdo?

Unread 05-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Did i overdo?

Had LATVH May 14th. I have been walking (mostly around the house), drinking lots of water and thought i was doing good. i am trying to slow down on pain pills and save them for nighttime when the pain is the worse but tonight is BAD. I scrapbooked some today and then went to the store with my husband and baby tonight. I am so paying for it and can't make the pain stop. Ieven tried sticking an ice pack between my legs. I guess I am not following the rules. I have an 8 mnth old and it is so hard NOT to pick her up - maybe i have cheated one too many times. My husband just can't handle it all. Guess I should slow down again, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Did i overdo?

You shouldn't be lifting anything more that 5 pounds. I can't imagine having a baby around after a hyst. It must be really hard for you. Is there someone around who can help you with your baby? Maybe your mother or mother in law? You need to take it easy. You should not be going to the store either. I didn't go anywhere for the first 2 1/2 weeks. Now I'm back at work and really trying to take it slow and no lifting over 5 pounds and no long driving or shopping until at least 6 weeks. Please take it easy, it's very important!
Unread 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Did i overdo?

I would say you overdid it. At that stage (today is my 4-week anniv) I was still swimming in pain killers. I didn't even think about doing as much as you did. One outing a day and NO lifting, that was my max. I was reminded that there are stitches inside that we can't see but can still rip. If you rip them you risk possible further surgery. No way do I want that so I figure I better be a good girl and not lift stuff. My DH has good days and bad ones. If you let a few thing go, things that aren't end of the world (like housework) then it isn't as much for DH to handle. Mine exploded a couple of times so far but he is getting a glimpse of what we do every day when we are well, that's gotta be worth something. Hang in there and you will make it.
Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Did i overdo?

My LATVH was May 15th. I understand where you are at with the baby. I have a 17 month at home that doesn't understand why I can't pick him up. I sit on the floor, with a pillow under me, alot. Babys love when you play down on their level. My Dr said I can drive when it is not painfull to hit the brake. I have been driving for 2 days. No painkillers for 3. I think the biggy is NO LIFTING. I load the dishwasher and do some light straightening up, but no vacuming, and NO LIFTING. If your pain has not subsided by tomorrow, I would call your Doc, just in case you ripped some stitches. Good luck and take care of you.
Janice
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Did i overdo?

Slow down! Don't rush things, your body needs time to heal properly the first time. I know it is hard with a small baby - but you have to take care of yourself so you can be the best Mommy later.

Put your feet up and get plenty of rest - if the pain continues - call your doctor.

Mary Beth
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Did i overdo?

You should call your doctor and let him know about the pain in case he wants to see you. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Did i overdo?

Hi, I also had the same surgery as you, additionally with BSO, on May 14th. I think if YOU feel you have overdone it, then maybe you have and you should try to take it a little easier... you can hold your baby with a pillow on your tummy, just ask for someone to get her up to where you are.... ask your doctor how much you can lift. I think different doctors might have some different guide lines and you should check with him/her on these issues of lifting and the pain you are having.
For example, my dr. said that I can lift as heavy as a milk jug, and he thinks it is okay to do little things like carry laundry to the wash ( NOT the whole laundry hamper!!) as long as it is a handfull and not a washer that I have to bend down to. He said basically take it easy, but I can do things as long as I don't tire myself out and am not physically hurting myself. As you see, most women are told not to do those things and some are told just to do what your body lets you without discomfort. You should check with your doctor specifically.
It depends on you and how you feel. If you are tired and in pain - STOP AND REST.
But, don't be too hard on yourself! Coming down on yourself is not good for you and your recovery, or your spirits. You are a wonderful woman experiencing a difficult time like we all are. It is okay.
Everyone recovers differently and at their own pace.
I stopped taking any pain meds as of last Sunday, 6 days post op, and have been fine in that area, but I can tell you, that if I have walked around the house too much, or sat in a regular chair without a pillow, or sat at the table eating dinner too long etc... I pay for it. I get exhausted and my bottom aches like you were talking about.
I think, like you, with having a family, I just want to help do some small things, and to feel like a regular member again, and not put everything on the hubby, but we have to let it go and rest more.
I will try harder to be a better princess if you do too. Deal?
Unread 05-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Did i overdo?

Sorry you hurt, your still inthe rest all day stage and need to take things easy and slow. i couldnt imagine having a baby after surgery, glad you have your husband to help out. rest up!
hugs
Lisa
Unread 05-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Did i overdo?

I had abdominal hysterectomy with lots of fibroids/adhesions/etc on May 15th. I think that you have to obey your Doctor but even more, respect your body. If you feel up to things then, increase activity gradually. I'm allowed to drive on 5/26 but I'm not sure I will because I don't feel up to "sudden moves" yet. I have a 2 yr old grandson that lives with me and I let him sit on my lap and have "helped" him get on the bed a few times. I have been picking up around the house today and dusting and it has taken it's toll. I think each person needs to figure out what's right and wrong for themselves. Maybe check with you Dr. before you try something new. So, you went out in public? was it wonderful? I'm so bored cooped up in my house! Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Did i overdo?

Two days ago I felt great and weeded a garden. Yesterday I went to a retirement dinner where I gave a speech. Today I have been really sore all day. I guess it doesn't always show how much you overdo it until it is too late but now I will take it easy.
We are going to the cabin this weekend. It is opening the cabin weekend which means all kinds of work...for everyone else but me! I plan to take my pain meds with, maybe I am a wimp but I stayed on the heavy meds for 2 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register