Surgery date got moved up - concerned about a preplanned vaca! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery date got moved up - concerned about a preplanned vaca! Surgery date got moved up - concerned about a preplanned vaca!

Unread 02-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Surgery date got moved up - concerned about a preplanned vaca!

Hi ladies,

My surgery (Davinci Partial Hysterectomy + Bladder Sling) moved up from April 10th, to this upcoming Tuesday (February 7th). My friends and family keep asking me if I'm nervous or afraid, and to be honest, my answer is no - mainly because I haven't had any time to absorb the speed in which this process is moving! With three young children, I'm about as distracted as a girl can get - but am pretty sure that when I am laying on the operating table about to receive my anesthesia, I'll have a full on panic attack! ;-)

My biggest concern is an upcoming vacation my husband and I have planned 6 weeks following my surgery date. We're flying out to Jamaica for our 10 year anniversary and have been planning this and looking forward to it for YEARS. Unfortunately, we can't postpone the vacation or we would lose a lot of money. Do any of you have any input on how I should be feeling 6 weeks post surgery? I'm young (30 years old), very athletic (6.0' and exercise daily), and have a fairly high pain tolerance. For all I know, the fitness level pre-surgery may have no affect on speed of recovery...I keep thinking this will be like delivering a baby and that the healthier I am before hand, the easier it will be to bounce back. Would really like to sit in the pool and enjoy the sunshine...will that be pushing it by that point?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you all can share - this site has been a God send over the past few weeks and has given a lot of insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Re: Surgery date got moved up - concerned about a preplanned vaca!

Wow, everyone's experience is different but as I look back at the 7+ weeks since my TAH, I would tend to offer you a positive response - go for it!

Naturally, you and your doctor will know a lot more about your situation after the procedure has been completed. And your first post-op checkup will give you both a lot of practical insight. But recovery itself is not a straight line and you should not be surprised if some days feel more challenging than others.

I felt my first 2 weeks were incredibly easy, then felt a little stuck at times during weeks 3 and 4. Two steps forward, one step back. But no reason to cancel your travel plans - just keep communication open with your doctor and modify your activities accordingly along the way.

Good luck - and enjoy pampering yourself as much as possible for as long as possible, including a great anniversary celebration!
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:36 AM

Thanks for your response and sharing a bit of your own recovery journey. I'm having my Physicals (both with my doctor and with the hospital where my surgery will be) this morning, so am planning to ask lots of questions. Hearing you say "go for it" is encouraging though! Thanks again and continued blessings over you as you continue recovering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM

clsrmla, I am 4 weeks out today and feel pretty good so I would expect 7 weeks out will be even better. Just make sure you relax during your first 2-4 weeks post-op so your healing is at best. Drink plenty of water every day post-op to warn off any urinary tract infections, and help healing, and get those short walks in a few times a day as soon as you can get up right after surgery. The walking gets rid of the gases. But best thing is to look up this website under recovery from Dec 12th thru 16th which I believe would make 7 weeks today.
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM

I'd have to be bleeding out of my eyes to not go to Jamaica!!! Really, I felt spectacular at 6 weeks. I had a few factors that helped: I REALLY followed post op orders, I did not have a job to return to(was "let go" the day I scheduled surgery) and I really did feel so much better than pre hyster. I had a dVh/BSO and I'm on HRT. The best tip to feeling ready for your trip? JAMAICA!!!
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM

I am 3 weeks 3 days post op, and I feel pretty good! I would say "go for it" also!! Just make sure you take it easy the first 4 weeks so you can have a smooth recovery!!
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Lol, Sharona19! So excited to read that you and Scorp1159 both are feeling so well 4-6 weeks post op. - so happy for y'all (and pretty happy for myself as it looks like I will be able to enjoy our trip!). My doctor informed me today I'd even be able to get in the pool...after everything I've read, it was sounding as if I couldn't do that till closer to 8 weeks. Blessings to you both as you continue recovering and thx again for ur help. :-)
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks Susan C, sounds like the name of the game is :rest, water and don't overdue it? Check, check and check...Thanks for ur feedback and hope you continue feeling well throughout ur own recovery! Take care!
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:49 AM

If I understand correctly, I think the ladies who keep their cervix have a bit smoother/quicker recovery. I think you'll be great. I'm not going to talk to you anymore because I'm stuck in dreary, winter Oregon and you're going to Jamaica ; p

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register