Pap test/ No Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pap test/ No Cervix Pap test/ No Cervix

Unread 04-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Pap test/ No Cervix

I just had my 6 week post-op check up and my said that I would be due for my annual exam, mammography and pap test in a couple months. So I said, with no cervix I still need a pap? And he said that it is recommended. ( I said OK, and didnt ask why as I was in a hurry to get out that day)

I figured I would get some great responses here as to why that would be. I have heard of some women who never get a pap test once their cervix was removed.

So ladies... would love to hear what y'all know
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 10:12 PM
Pap test/ No Cervix

My Dr explained it to me that there is no clear cut off line for the cervix vagina. He also told me that he had a patient that had a complete hysterectomy and came in several years later and she had vaginal cancer. So he recommends it to all of his patients. Me, I'd rather go in because then remember to get my mammogram done and an internal check as I still have my ovaries. Better to be safe than sorry later on down the road is how I feel.
Unread 04-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Pap test/ No Cervix

Hi Carol

Doctors seem to have differing views on this.

My doctor told me because I had my hyst for fibroids and I'd never had an abnormal smear in my life, there was no need to have another one post op.

As I say, medical opinion seems to vary. I guess if you've got faith in your doctor, and we all should have or why do we go to them, we have to trust their judgment.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Pap test/ No Cervix

Last wk at my 6 wk check I asked my MD the same questiion she said the there may be same microscopic cervical cells left and that its possible that somewhere down the line it could become abnormal or cancerous. She also talked about vaginal dysplasiga (sp) and that she recommends the yearly paps. So I'll be doing the yrly thing even though I've never had an abnormal pap.
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:23 AM
Pap test/ No Cervix

She also talked about vaginal dysplasiga (sp) and that she recommends the yearly paps. So I'll be doing the yrly thing even though I've never had an abnormal pap.

Same here, I had stage 3 dysplasia, and Dr said I will always need a pap to mek sure it doesn't show up in the Vagina...I never heard of it so am going to do a search....anyone know where?
nan-c
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Same here - no cervix - no PAP's

My ob/gyn doctor told me the same thing.. if I have never had an abnormal pap test, there was no need for a pap test again for the rest of my life.

Myself personally, I don't know... I feel I should still go once a year for safety sake. I will talk to my own family doctor about that the next time I see her and see what she says.

Trust in your own opinions, not others.
Unread 04-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Pap test/ No Cervix

It seems to be a mixed opinion! My family doc said I should come in once a year for a pap... my obgyn who did my surgery said it is absolutely not needed. He said it is just a falacy especially if you have never had a suspicious result in you history. I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry... very confusing....on what to do.
Unread 04-23-2003, 09:44 AM
paps

My gyn said paps every 2 years after my tah/bso.
I'm all for that, I think.
And I agree that all docs have differing opinions. I'd just go with what my doc says.
shirley
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:42 AM
still need the poke and prod....

For any of us princesses who have tested postive, like me, for HPV, a Pap smear is usually recommended. HPV is the virus that is linked to cervical cancer, and is the reason that many of us have abnormal pap results, dysplasia, etc.

My doctor said that while it is uncommon, he does see about 2 cases a year of vaginal pre-cancerous conditions, so just not having a cervix is no guarantee. HPV (normally) progresses VERY SLOWLY into cancer...it's why pap smears are so effective, and why treatments for this type of cancer are normally very very effective, because of early diagnosis.

Anyway. This is what I was told. Your doctor, of course, knows your case history and situation the best.

Cheers, Melissa
Unread 04-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Pap test/ No Cervix

Ditto for what embeez just said, also, just because you may have never tested positive for the HPV virus doesn't mean that you can't get it in the future. The virus is very common and most women have been exposed to it during their life time. Keep getting a vaginal scrape test at least every 2 years and if you get displasia, ask your Dr. for an HPV test. This virus can lead to both vaginal and anal cancer. Early detection is important. The test is no big deal considering everything else we're all going through, right?

Hugs, val

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register