TAH Pre-op appt today... enema??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH Pre-op appt today... enema??? TAH Pre-op appt today... enema???

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
TAH Pre-op appt today... enema???

Scheduled for TAH on 2/6, just had my pre-op appointment today and am freaking out a little bit. Got blood drawn, they say I may need more drawn on Saturday (depending on results from today?) and they will draw more on Monday am before the surgery. Lots of conflicting info... given differrent arrival times, estimated lengths of hospital stay, nurse says 8 weeks off, doctor says 6. And no one seems to be able to give me an estimated out of pocket expense after insurance!!! Everyone seems so calm about everything... which I guess is good, I wouldn't want them freaking out like me, but it almost seems like it's not a big deal and I am over-reacting. Huge fear of needles, started crying during blood draw Also, doc says I need an enema the night before. I have never had one before and am totally FREAKED out by it! Any advice/suggestions? HELP!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Re: TAH Pre-op appt today... enema???

((hugs))

Blood draw suck but they have to do them. I would figure 8 weeks off and try to get the dr. to write your note that way. It's always easier to go back early rather than ask for more time off. Arrival time, use the earliest. You will stay in the hospital as long as you need to stay so don't stress too much about that. The money thing, that's hard, and they probably can't really tell you until you get done since your stay could be longer or shorter and what you need could be different than what they think you need right now.

Enemas are not exactly fun but not that horrible. Search bowel prep and you will probably be glad you don't have to drink some of the nasty stuff other people have to.

You will be fine. Take a deep breath.
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:09 AM

I had to do one Friday 1 to 2 hours before bedtime. It didn't do anything for me, just alittle bit. Morning time I went good.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlygig View Post
((hugs))

Blood draw suck but they have to do them. I would figure 8 weeks off and try to get the dr. to write your note that way. It's always easier to go back early rather than ask for more time off. Arrival time, use the earliest. You will stay in the hospital as long as you need to stay so don't stress too much about that. The money thing, that's hard, and they probably can't really tell you until you get done since your stay could be longer or shorter and what you need could be different than what they think you need right now.

Enemas are not exactly fun but not that horrible. Search bowel prep and you will probably be glad you don't have to drink some of the nasty stuff other people have to.

You will be fine. Take a deep breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Hi Donna

I am having mine done on Monday too. I have been put on light diet (although white bread is allowed????) but have been given lovely drink to take tomorrow evening with instructions to buy vaseline and not to leave the house lol

Good luck with your surgery and recovery

Meg x
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM

I, too, have 2 lovely long haired doxies keeping me company! Thanks for your support and advice!

Going in Monday am....

fingers crossed!
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM

I have my TLH set for March. I'm sort of freaking out because my doctor told me that I could return to work after two weeks, so that is what I am planning on. I have read so many posts saying that women are returning to work after 6 to 8 weeks. I'm hoping the difference of the length of time off is because I have an office job?? Or maybe because I'm having a TLH versus TAH? (Honestly, I'm still trying to learn the "lingo" and what the different abbr. mean)
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Hi freedom lover

I am no doctor and havent had my hysterectomy yet but 2 weeks sounds awful short. I too am having (I hope!) a TLH which is when they do the whole thing via small cuts (I think)

whereas the other one is when they need to do an abdominal cut as well.

Somewhere I read says not to forget that regardless of what way it is done, the same organs are removed and therefore there should be some similar recovery time.

I would speak to your doctor again - or your consultant to see. My consultant is lovely but one of his junior doctors told me I could go home that same day. The nurse and my consultant burst out laughing when I repeated that conversation.

I have had surgery before and had my fallopian tube and I wasnt fit enough to go back to work in two weeks in an office job - so might be worth bearing in mind.

Take care and ask questions

Meg
Unread 02-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the advice Meg! I feel a little overwhelmed and a little naive about all of this. I've been trying to read everything I can about the different types of procedures, what can be removed, recovery time, etc. I was finally diagnosed with adenomyosis (sp?) and trying to understand that as well. My doctor is great, but I think I should be taking better notes or asking better questions when I see her.

I am certainly looking forward to the future and not having to deal with the continual bleeding, clots and pain.

Good luck with you on your procedure coming up very soon. I'll be interested to hear how everything goes.
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM

that adenomyosis is getting very common lol - I have it too - well so they think - they cant tell til they remove the womb and examine it.

Will let you know how it goes - but you might want to start your own thread to get some other input. They are really nice on here

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register