endometriosis, adhesions, and continuous birth control pills | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometriosis, adhesions, and continuous birth control pills endometriosis, adhesions, and continuous birth control pills

Unread 01-19-2003, 06:24 PM
endometriosis, adhesions, and continuous birth control pills

I have endometriosis which my doc is trying to control with continuous birth control pills. I am on my second different pill. I had a 16-day period last month and I know that this is one thing we are trying to prevent by the simple fact that they are continuous. Does anyone know what could be going on here? My doc did not address this at all at my last visit. I am going for another diagnostic lap next month and was wondering if anyone knew if a D&C might help with the uterine bleeding. My doc has mentioned taking the right ovary out to help control the pain, but he is against taking the uterus for some reason. Personally if I am to do without the function of the ovary, I would rather lose the bleeding as well. He mentioned that he thought that part of my pain might be coming from scar tissue. By going in again, are we not just potentially adding to the scar tissue? Anyone that has had this problem, please help me understand. I am beginning to think that my doc is just trying to pacify me and put me off for more time until I am older. I am 29. Thanks, Marni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2003, 06:59 PM

HI Marni:

I have Endo and adhesions, I have tryed the continuous b/c but it did not work, then we did the the lap, which gave me six months of pain relife, then they had me do lupron, which did not work well for me, I started spotting about 1/2 through the treatments, My doctor said at that point of my Lupron that there was a problem with the Uterus it'self. that is when my doctor and I discussed a partial lavh. We had to take the uterus because of bleeding. I also had adhesions as well. I would talk to your doctor, if you do not feel comfortable with what he is telling you ask for a second opinion.

One thing I have learned with having Endo is your doctor is not always right. I have also learned to become more of advcate in my health.

Good luck,
Elaine
Unread 01-19-2003, 07:10 PM

I had a long continuous period due to adenomyosis. Have they checked for that? My doc said that we could go the med treatment route for a couple of years until I go into menopause. I said what about a hyst. He said that would take care of it. I then asked him what we he suggest to his mother. He said the hyst. I said sign me up. Why should I go through years of potential help and it not help. I've been having trouble for the past 6 years and after a D&C, hysteroscopy, and other stuff, I said slay the dragon and yank that thing out.

I'm a happy camper now!

TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2003, 08:15 PM

Hi Marnie:
I too have endo, have had it for 22 years now. The bc pills are they progesterone only? That's what I use and it works well, no periods, and very little if any bleeding. I use mine continuously also. Do you have children? I'm going to have my fourth surgery done this spring and I wish when I had my last one done 10 yrs ago and they took my ovary out that I would of had it all out. It would save me from going thrugh the pain again. My personal opinion is if you have pain from your period and can get away with having your uterus out and not both ovaries then go for it. Good luck, PS there's a new pain pill out called bextra and it is the first that has worked for me. If you have any other questions please write. Good luck again!
Kim
Unread 01-20-2003, 05:53 AM

My doc prescribed the combined pill for me but I found it made my endo pain worse - but I know it helps some people. I'm on depo provera now until surgery, and have found that helps with the pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register