UPDATE, more pain had ultrasound | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UPDATE, more pain had ultrasound UPDATE, more pain had ultrasound

Unread 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
UPDATE, more pain had ultrasound

Wow, am I confused. I called my doc like I said I would if I still hurt by Monday. Well, he sent me for an ultrasound and it said I had a posterior body leiomyoma (1.7x1.6x1.3 cm.), that my myometrium was mildly heterogeneous. It said I had Nabothian cysts in my cervix and an ovarian cyst on my LEFT ovary now (2.3x1.6x2.1 cm.) Through all of that apparantly the cyst on the right has cleared up. Whew! LOL. What the heck does all of that mean?? I've been doing searches online. Will talk to doc tomorrow about it. Anyone else have any feedback. I guess this somehow explains the pain I've been having. I also looked at past ultrasounds and cts and saw that they said I had a fibroid and adenomyosis. But I never followed up cause I was in the process of having my gall bladder out. This is all too much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd32774
[H]e sent me for an ultrasound and it said I had a posterior body leiomyoma (1.7x1.6x1.3 cm.)
A leiomyoma is a uterine fibroid. The word sounds alot scarier than it actually is -- at least most of the time. What you have been diagnosed with is a rather small fibroid. However, that doesn't mean that it's not important or it can't cause pain. In fact, some (((sisters))) have more pain from one small fibroid than others have with a very large fibroid (or several large ones).

Quote:
It said I had Nabothian cysts in my cervix
This is another benign condition for which treatment is not even always necessary. However, they do not usually go away on their own... the treatment is usually a fairly simple office procedure.

Another thing to remember as you go through this journey is that ultrasound is not an exact science! When I had my initial ultrasound three months before my hysterectomy, it indicated two fibroids -- one 5 cm and one which was 7 cm. When I had my surgery, I had over 30 fibroids -- none of which was bigger than 3.5 cm!

When I had my ongoing hematoma problem after my hyst, ultrasound after ultrasound indicated that it was a septated, complex hematoma. In reality, it was not.... but the different qualities of the fluid made it appear on the ultrasound as though it was bubble wrap. (I can't explain it any other way.)

What I'm trying to say is that until they actually do the surgery, they will not be able to give you a definite answer on how many or how big the fibroids are.

Adenomyosis is another condition which usually is not diagnosed until *after* surgery is done, because there's no other way to see how thick the uterine wall has become.

As for the ovarian cysts -- many (((sisters))) have these throughout their lives. Sometimes they are very painful, and other times they go unnoticed. They do not always need treatment, but sometimes they do.

I'm glad you plan to go over the results with your doctor. He or she can really give you the insight you require to see what treatment options are best for you. And if the doctor recommends surgery, I would strongly suggest that you get at least one or two additional medical opinions. Having a "fresh set of eyes" look at everything and examine you can help set your mind at ease before undergoing surgery.

to you. We're here for you, no matter what you decide.
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanx for the info. My hysterectomy is scheduled for May 7th. I've had other ultrasounds and cts and mri's, all showing conflicting things. But one thing is common and that is the fibroid issue for one. My tests have shown variations of possible fibroids. But my doc doesn't think so. Maybe cause he can't feel them from the outside. I know that when it says that the myometrium is hetergeneous it means that there are multiple things going on in the myometrium. I wonder if these are too small to measure fibroids or adenomyosis. Won't know til surgery I guess. I just hate that I'm in pain more so in the past week and a half then I was before that darn exam. The Nabothian cysts are what I'm worried about. I think that they are the main sorce of my worsened pain and surgery is 5 weeks away. What do I do til then?? Do I do anything if surgery is just weeks away?? Sorry, I know. Talk to the doctor. I had to laugh when my ultrasound report said to follow-up with another ultrasound in 6 weeks. HAHAHA. I won't have a uterus in six weeks. Thanx again for taking the time to share what you know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register