Vaginal appearance six weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal appearance six weeks post-op Vaginal appearance six weeks post-op

Unread 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Vaginal appearance six weeks post-op

Hi, all.....

Okay, I finally got up the nerve to look at my "quilt work" for the first time in about three weeks. Keep in mind that I am basically cut from vagina to rectum due to the multiple procedures that I had. I was left with an open wound in the perineum to heal from the inside out (secondary intention). All of that looks like it's healing the way it should.

My question is actually about the opening in my vagina. I had a TVH and I know there is a vaginal cuff. However, I swear there is still a bulge in the vaginal opening. If that is the cuff is it supposed to be right at the opening. I expected to see a normal vaginal opening but I don't. I see this bulge and I don't see how anything can find it's way in there (if the day ever comes that I can have sex again)!

As time goes by, does this eventually retract back into the vagina more?

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, nor do I know what my anatomy should be at this point. I've had some many things cut, stitched, pulled, unstitched, etc. I really don't know what things should look like at six weeks out after all of the procedures I had. (There is a list in my signature line.)

Just curious....if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM

I know when I had my repair surgery it took a few months for everything not to look bruised.

good Luck
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM

I am not sure, but a "bulge" in the vaginal opening would definetely be something I would get checked out from doc right away, if only for peace of mind.....sounds like you will take a while to completely heal though, so hopefully it will just be something that needs more time....let us know

***Hi, Tire X4...haven't seen you in a while!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM

I'm still seeing my doc on a weekly basis. I have an appt. on Thursday. I'm sure if there is something wrong, she'll point it out.

I'm thinking it's probably the vaginal cuff and it's still swollen so we'll see. At least I hope that's what it is. :-)
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM

I also had alot of swelling down there.....I found that if I did not sit upright for long periods and basically tried to lay down with pillow under butt to elevate area, helped with swelling also....good luck..hope you are not is too much pain...that wound healing sounds very painful and uncomfortable..hopefully you are passed the worst of it
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:29 PM

Hi Denise It's probably not the vaginal cuff that you see but a section of the inside wall of the vagina. At six weeks post op after that much repair work you could still conceivably have lots of swelling internally. I would look for the swelling to decrease very slowly.

Things may never look exactly the same as they did pre-op, but I would bet that once your DR clears you for intercourse, things will work the way they should.

I was once where you are now and skeptical that I would ever look 'normal' again. Eventually, though, all was OK.

Let us know what your DR says this week, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe
Hi Denise It's probably not the vaginal cuff that you see but a section of the inside wall of the vagina. At six weeks post op after that much repair work you could still conceivably have lots of swelling internally. I would look for the swelling to decrease very slowly.

Things may never look exactly the same as they did pre-op, but I would bet that once your DR clears you for intercourse, things will work the way they should.

I was once where you are now and skeptical that I would ever look 'normal' again. Eventually, though, all was OK.

Let us know what your DR says this week, OK?
s,
-Linda
I will......I'm thinking it must be swelling as well. It's so hard to beleive that I have been basically on bedrest for six weeks and that I still have so much healing to do. My doc warned me that this would be a very long and painful recovery but I just never imagined, I'd still be here six weeks later not able to sit upright or stand more than 10-15 minutes without feeling some kind of pain. It's hard to beleive that this is a "normal" recovery. But everytime I have thought there is something wrong, it's turn out to be normal. Even when I went to the ER bleeding profusely....it was "normal".

Oh well......we'll see what happens on Thursday.

Thanks,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register