Anyone taking Darvocet for pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone taking Darvocet for pain? Anyone taking Darvocet for pain?

Unread 08-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Anyone taking Darvocet for pain?

I am 1 week post LAVH and I was on Hydrocodone but ran out, I called my doc and he called in this Darvocet. I am still in moderate pain, what should I expect from this medicine? The Hydrocodone was a joke, I had to chase it with the Motrin everytime I took it. I just wanted to know if any ladies have taken the Darvocet and actually felt better. Thanks girls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Thats what Dr gave me. Darvocet. After I ran out of the 10 tylox. I tell you I could have took 2 asprins and got more pain relief. Hydrocodone is alot stronger than Darvocet. I been taking the hydrocodone that my GYN gave me for my cramps.
Unread 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM

My doc gave me Darvocet and 800mg Motrins when I discharged from hospital. I took the darvocet as much as I could b/c the motrins made me ill nausea...... come to find out the darvacet can cause constipation which caused me alot of problems in the long run - I now am ON regular Advil but of course need less pain control then when I first got of hospital unless I over do it. I do occasionally pop a darvocet if I get miserable
hope you get better soon
TAH large fibroids /uterus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesrgr8
My doc gave me Darvocet and 800mg Motrins when I discharged from hospital. I took the darvocet as much as I could b/c the motrins made me ill nausea...... come to find out the darvacet can cause constipation which caused me alot of problems in the long run - I now am ON regular Advil but of course need less pain control then when I first got of hospital unless I over do it. I do occasionally pop a darvocet if I get miserable
hope you get better soon
TAH large fibroids /uterus

I know that you had your abdominal opened. I dont know how you did it on Darvocet. Bless your heart. There are studies where they show where 2 tylenol is just as effective or more effective than darvocet.
Unread 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

I did for a short time. The big thing is that it makes you sleepy which is ok if you take it at night.
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:07 PM

wow thanks jamajessie
I feel good to know that now .. my pain threshhold must be higher then I thought..... Maybe I will try 2 Tylenol
I am having an ache in my incision today and these Advils aren't doing it
take care of you
Di
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Doc gave me Vicodin for the first week of recovery. At my first post op check she wrote a script for Darvocet. I took it for two doses and realized it wasn't touching the pain so I started taking Ibuprofen. I found some of the research that jamajessie had mentioned. At the six week post op the doc asked if the darvocet worked and I told her that Tylenol worked better! Don't be afraid to ask the doc if you need stronger meds just be prepared to plead your case.

Best wishes with your recovery.
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM

I was on 2 Darvocet-N, every six hours in the hospital. It took 45 minutes to kick in and then I was good for about four hours after that. I was in quite a bit of intestinal pain, so they switched me to one 600mg Motrin every six hours and told me that in addition I could have a Darvocet for breakthrough pain but only if I requested it. (I guess this means the Motrin is stronger???)

They sent me home with 100/650 Darvocet-N (darvocet w/Acetaminophen) and Motrin 600mg. For almost 2 weeks I took the Motrin every six hours and Darvocet-N only when I needed extra. After about 12 days, I started feeling nauseous. Turned out that it was the Motrin.

Now, almost three weeks post surgery, I just take a couple Tylenol in the afternoon ... and two more at bedtime if I'm sore.
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM

jeepgrl-

Hey, you! I have darvocets and motrins only and, in comparison with percocet *for me* there are a couple of differences: percocet covers my pain better but makes me itch, and darvocet constipates me all to heck. I really don't like either darvocet or percocet, but motrin alone is just not enough for me other than help with the swelly-belly. I really want to call my dr. for some better meds, 'cause this ain't enough for me and I had a LAVH like you did. It also depends on how many you are allowed to take at each dose, too. For some people it works, but I'm not one of 'em. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register