54 and wondering about ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

54 and wondering about ovaries 54 and wondering about ovaries

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM
54 and wondering about ovaries

At age 54, I have been told for a long time I am "so close to menopause." Last week I was sure I wanted my ovaries taken out--my mother had ovarian cysts and hysterectomy in her 30's, my best friend died at 50 of ovarian cancer, I've had two first cousins with breast cancer (one died), and perhaps the ovaries won't function well after the hysterectomy anyway. Now I'm wondering if I will be more comfortable to not go through surgical menopause. I'm sure the hysterectomy is a good decision because of fibroids and heavy bleeding, but I'm on the fence about the ovaries. I'd like to hear from my sisters as I continue to do research. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Re: 54 and wondering about ovaries

I couldn't say if or how much cancer risk you have. I can tell you I had a very bearable natural menopause. Then had my ovaries out. There was a big difference. Hot flashes I could deal with, but the incredible fatigue and brain fog, enough to interfere with my job. I started HRT for the first time. I'd advise before you remove them you ask if you'd be able to take HRT or not. You wouldn't be required to but you might want to in order to function. that's really something to look into ahead of time, and whether HRT would negate the point of removing your ovaries. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM

I opted to keep mine after looking up the risk factors for ovarian cancer. None in my family history and I fit into every catagory that has a lower risk. I just turned 55 and was still having periods every couple months prior to hysterectomy. As it turned out, they took my left ovary when I went back to the O.R. to stop internal bleeding. Though it wasn't the main source of blood loss the ovary had started bleeding so they took it. I have a few hot flashes but any brain fog I had cleared up after a few weeks. Not sure if that was from anemia, anesthisia, hormone changes or shock to the body.
Both my mom's sisters have had breast cancer so no HRT for me which was why I wanted to keep the ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Hi Sue! I get frustrated when dr's start quoting stats. I have been told the same thing -- at **51** (the standard age for menopause) that most of my bleeding and fibroid stuff will be taken care of by Mother Nature. My mom bled until she was 63 - and had a hyster then. Apparently she didn't get the "51" memo. (lol) I have Celiac Disease -- a 1:133 chance and is hereditary -- I have no family history. The 1st doc I saw kept saying "51..." yeah, I don't think I want to go through this for another 3 yrs and told them to stop quoting statistics to me. I'm having my ovaries taken out and will start on HRT in the hospital. Good luck!
Unread 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM

My family didn't get the memo either. 1 sister 56 major hot flashes daily. 1 sister started menopause after birth of child #2 at 41. I started about 41 also. But I didn't get most the memo's for a lot of other things. Really needed the one about not having gigantic fibroids!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register