Any info on post-op after having a TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any info on post-op after having a TAH Any info on post-op after having a TAH

Unread 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Any info on post-op after having a TAH

Hello everyone!
I have 3 more days until my surgery. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has had a TAH and kept one or both ovaries. How was your recovery time in the hospital and how are you feeling once you are now home?
I am soooooo nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Re: Any info on post-op after having a TAH

Hello Valentinesday.I am at 3 weeks post op today. The hospital stay was fine, 2 nights 3 days. The nurses are all wonderful, I was on maternity in my own room. You want to make sure you have your bedroom ready for you because I didnt get dressed for a week after I got home,no need to. I had my stool softeners,prescriptions,books to read,extra water bottles,heating pad,phone,lots of pillows for support. You want everything within arms length. Its hard at first,but take the pain medicine and relax! Your body needs to heal and heal right. If you have small kiddos I hope you have someone to watch them. I feel good,but tend to over do it and then have to lay down. You might want to order belly binder on this site. It helped me alot when I started walking out in the driveway. Any more questions just ask! You are almost there. Take care,Noelle
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm having surgery on the 2nd...so i can't answer your question. But I think everybody is different on how they heal and recover. I'm expecting for me to be in the hospital for 2 days, Home Thursday I hope. I'm having a TAH, but i'm not keeping my ovaries....There is a lot of information on this website. I'm glad I found it in April...I've been mentally preparing wiht the help of the amazing women on this site! Reading, reading reading. I know your nervous....I have moments of trepidations too....I think we are going to feel so much better on the other side of this Valentine....Deep breath, we just have to make sure we take it easy and not over do it. Let all the worry go....you'll have a little happy shot and wake up and it will be over! The rest will be pain management, walking, passing gas, urinating, walking, passing gas....pain management...thats my take on it! your gonna be mo better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi- I had a TAH 10 weeks ago with no complications but I must be honest and tell you that you will be alot pain. I remember being so thirsty and given only a sponge with ice to keep my mouth moist. Coming off the general anethesia along with the pain meds (narcotics) has always been tough on me after surgery and this time was no difference. By the third day I asked if they could just give me ibuprfen but once home I realized this only took the edge off the pain and had to get to get something more pain manageble yes more narcotics. It's important not to over do any physical activities even if when you feel good because you will feel it later. Make sure you keep a pillow near by to place on your stomach in case you have to cough it helps. It took a while for my appetite to come back. Make sure you have a lot of fruits on hand and please take the required stool softners daily. The meds will make you constipated and that unneccessary pain that you do not need. I had to start chemo about 3 weeks after surgery so that has taken away alot of my energy but for the most part my recovery time went well. Hope this helps and good luck!
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM

thanks for the tips and encouragement!
I'm sorry that I started reading about how the other post-op ladies are dealing with sex after wards. So far it seems like it's bad news. My husband and I have been married for 24 years and since both of our kids flew the nest, we've started dating all over again! It's more fun now than it was when we first met!!! I'm really worried!
Unread 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM

I have to say that I was a nervous wreck before my surgery. To be honest I was more scared about coming home than the surgery itself. My hospital stay was great. The nurses were wonderful. When I started to really come around from the anethesia I was realizing how uncomfortable I was and how much pain I was in. The pain I was really feeling was the gas. I had a really nice nurse who actually let me get out of bed to walk a little. (I really was not suppose to, but we had done everything else and nothing worked) Getting out of bed that first time....WOW!!!! Talk about hard and painful! I knew that it was going to be like that because I read that on here somewhere. So I was prepared for that. Just do it slowly. And stand up straight!!! That really does help. By the next morning I was feeling great!!! I had been walking and going to the bathroom, once cath was out! My dr also let me go home a day early! That was the best!!!! Being home was better for me because I was more comfortable! I made sure that I had everything ready for me. I made a basket for myself of the little things that I would need or want. That has been helpful! The first 2 weeks are the toughest! Just stay on top of your meds, rest and walk! Also stay on top of the stool softeners and gas-x. Take the stool softeners everyday! It does help with the pain of the gas as well. Listen to your body! Make sure to visit the post-op page!!!!!
Oh by the way the things that I put in my basket were....
A pad, pen, word finder book, a reading book, hand lotion, a small manicure kit, tissues, a fly swater, a brush, deoderant, lip balm, hand sanitizer, hard candies. It has really helped. That way I am not asking for little things from people. I would rather them help me more with drinks, food, meds and things like that!!!
Best wishes to you!!!!!
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

I had a TAH on 7/12 and came home from the hospital late day 3. I had trouble with nausea and vomiting in the hospital and the surgeon seemed to think it was because I'm quite short and petite and the binder was too tight (the nurses really put it on well!) and went too high on my body and caused my acid reflux to flare up. Once we got that under control my appetite came back and I started feeling better more quickly.

I agree with everyone who mentioned walking, it does help with the gas cramps and getting your intestines to wake up. Even 16 days postop I'm still having some trouble with my intestines so stool softeners, probiotics, fiber rich food, and walking are all helping. I was very happy I ordered a binder from the hystersister store since it fits so much better than the binder from the hospital, and the suggestion that has been made by lots of sisters to take a small pillow is brilliant. The pillow helps when you laugh or cough or sneeze and also keeps the seatbelt off of your tender belly. One last thing I've found helpful - a small pad and pen next to the bed to keep track of my meds schedule and other information has been really helpful.

Best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery! I definitely found that the waiting was much more difficult than the surgery itself and even the recovery so far.
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM

I had a TAH in June and I pick up a few tips here that helped my A LOT.

After the surgery, your mouth will be very dry : water and ice are a must, always near you.

Stool softeners : a must also.

I stayed 5 days in the hospital, my husband was there with me most of the time and that was precious.

Do not be afraid to ASK. I found that the staff were more than willing to help but you have to let them know how you feel and what you need.

I read the pre-op section and also post-op (partially). The info was very helpfull and when faced with different situations, I knew exactly what to do. But that is not for everyone, it can also cause anxiety. See for yourself.

Have everything you need for the hospital and at home. There are lists on the site.

I had pain but less than I had thought I would.

Stay in control of your treatment, ask questions.

Good luck, stay positive, everything will be fine
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you all for the support! Can't wait until I'm on the other side of this!:
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM

All the best Valentinesday for your op.

Get yourself a wheat bag or hot water bottle for your stomach it soothes it heaps. Drink plenty of fluids, take each day as it comes. Walk little but often to get things moving again and definitely have some laxatives to help with the motions, that is certainly a must. Peppermint tea helped me with gas too, you might want to try that.

Last bit of info: Remain positive and you will be fine.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register