Can't Pee!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Can't Pee!!

Hey ladies! I had my surg this morning and I haven't been able to urinate since!! They cathed me once, and I was completely full. Well... I have that feeling again, I've gotta go... BUT I CANT!!! Anyone else have this happen? I'm in tears, so frustrated and it hurts because I have to pee so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Can't Pee!!

I am post-hyst 1 week today. They cathed me during surgery and it was left in several hrs. Have the nurses try a foley cath and leave it in. Check with your doctor. If you do not feel someone is listening to you, ask to speak to someone in risk management at the hospital. They will listen to you. I wish you all the best. You are not alone. Hugs!!!
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Can't Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman920 View Post
Hey ladies! I had my surg this morning and I haven't been able to urinate since!! They cathed me once, and I was completely full. Well... I have that feeling again, I've gotta go... BUT I CANT!!! Anyone else have this happen? I'm in tears, so frustrated and it hurts because I have to pee so bad.
I too had the same problem and had to be straight cathed twice with no success when I tried on my own again. They decided to put a Foley catheter in sand sent me home with it on a Saturday and I was to go in and have it taken out on Monday or do it myself. So I chose to do it myself monday morning and bladder function was back to normal. Good luck and hang in there. The meds and anesthesia can cause the bladder to be shy for awhile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Re: Can't Pee!!

I had my surgery Mon. 5pm and had a cath in until Tues. morning. I was supposed to go home Tues afternoon, but I was told I needed to pee first. I had n'to urge at all to pee. When my friend came to take me home the nurse said I still hadn't peed so I needed to stay until I did. My friend brought me 12 of the individual milk cartons which I drank over the next hour, as well as 2 of the hospital pitchers of water. I started having pains because I just couldn't go. I also had 2 ultrasound tests on my bladder. I sat in the bathroom with the water running in the sink--still nothing. At 6pm the nurse told my friend that I would be spending another night in the hospital. I went into the bathroom every 15 minutes because I REALLY had to go but it just wouldn't happen. At about 8pm the nurse told me if I did not go within the hour she was putting the cath back in. Finally, about 8:30pm a trickle came out. I did that several times throughout the night and finally in the wee hours of Wed. morning I overflowed the "hat" that was placed in the toilet to measure my output.

I was ready to leave the hospital Wednesday at 12pm.

Hang in there. It will happen and it will feel so good!!!!!
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Can't Pee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsheen View Post
I am post-hyst 1 week today. They cathed me during surgery and it was left in several hrs. Have the nurses try a foley cath and leave it in. Check with your doctor. If you do not feel someone is listening to you, ask to speak to someone in risk management at the hospital. They will listen to you. I wish you all the best. You are not alone. Hugs!!!
They did a quick in and out cath. Then about an hour later I had to pee again! Still nothing!! They called my doc and he told them to cath me until 5am and we'll go from there. Even with the cath in I can feel when I have to pee and if I push a little it will start to drain out. I do NOT want to go home with a cath.
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Ask for a straw... as you are trying to pee - blow out thru the straw... it makes your diaprahm (sp) contract, and puts internal pressure - since we can't use our ab muscles right away. Worked for me... hope so for you too... hang in there - it will happen.
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:51 PM

One trick that has worked for many ladies is to blow through a straw or to pretend to blow through a straw. I have no idea why this works but many ladies report success with it. Other ideas are to run warm water over your perineum, run water in the sink or even put your hand in warm running water. I hope something works for you.

ETA: PaperPusher beat me to it. =)
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:00 PM

I had the same problem while in the hospital. I drank 3 big pitchers of water then chugged 2bottles of cranberry juice. It didnt take long and i was urinating like crazy. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM

I had the cath in overnight at the hospital and felt like I had to pee the whole time. After it was taken out, I had trouble and it took 3 attempts and considerable effort. Though once I could go, I urinated over 2000 mL before leaving the hospital a few hours later. It was such a relief. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register