Hysterectomy in 5 Days (8/11) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy in 5 Days (8/11) Hysterectomy in 5 Days (8/11)

Unread 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Hysterectomy in 5 Days (8/11)

Hi all - I'm new to this site and looking for advice, support....whatever I can get. I'm due to have surgery in 5 days - and I'm getting more and more anxious about the recovery, the pain, being laid up for weeks!

The thought of being in pain and having to depend on someone else is really terrifying....as you can probably tell I'm a little bit of a control freak.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what to expect recovery-wise. Surgeon is hoping to do everything laproscopically, taking womb, cervix and one ovary....hospital stay of 4-5 days. I was so excited when she agreed to do it I asked no questions, I was just relieved as I currently take morphine for period pain.

The nerves are really beginning to kick in!

Any guidance?

Poodie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Re: Hysterectomy in 5 Dasy

Wow, 5 days in the hospital? I'm guessing you're not in the u.s.? Or else you have a super platinum health ins. I was in one night for my TAH/BSO and didn't need one more minute in the hospital, i was so bored. You may not be laid up, or in pain, or have to depend too much on anyone. I was pretty much pain free and pretty much self sufficient and able to do most things. Not driving until being cleared was the biggest inconvenience for me.
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:28 PM

I know before surgery I was anticipating a much worse recovery. I was under the impression that I would pretty much be an invalid for weeks. It was totally different. I went home 3 hours after surgery and my doctor said to walk a lot and drink a lot of water. I sat in a comfy chair, watched a lot of Netflix, took walks, got bored, etc. But it wasn't like I thought it would be. I know the worrying was a lot worse than the reality. Best to you...you will do great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Hi Poodie to HysterSisters!

Recovery is different for everyone, but it does take time. Think weeks and not days. You will need help at home with dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, cooking, etc. You will also need to take time off work. How long depends on how fast you recover and your job requirements. But again, think weeks and not days.

You will also probably be very exhausted for a few weeks. No matter how they enter your abdomen, you will have lots of internal healing to do.

They will want you to do lots of walking - this really helps healing. So you will be doing brief but frequent walks. You will be resting much of the time, so you can get a little bored. So have favorite movies and light reading available.

You may want to review the check point videos in our post-op forum. They will give you a pretty good idea.

For me personally, I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days with my TAH BSO. I went back to work to a moderate stress desk job after three weeks, but could only work part time for another 4 weeks. Even that was difficult. After that, I went back full time. I slowly returned to my life, but would get tired easily. I did not feel 100% recovered for about 15 months.

Unread 08-07-2014, 04:43 AM
Re: Hysterectomy in 5 Days (8/11)

Ladies

Thank you all for your responses. You've guessed right I'm not in the US but am in Ireland. They are working on the basis of a 4 day stay for a laproscopic procedure and 5-6 days if they have to cut.

I'll keep reading your forums for reassurance. Lord knows I need it.
You've been great, thank you

Poodie
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM

In the US you could have a heart transplant and not be in the hospital fpr 5 days, ha ha. Good luck, you'll soon be done and giving advice to others!
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM

You will be surprised at how little pain you end up having. The biggest thing I can tell you is make sure, no matter how good you feel, that you DO NOT lift anything at all the first few weeks. Follow the doctors orders. They tell you no lifting, pushing and pulling so you do not pull or tear your stitches or vaginal cuff if you have one. I felt good and I had a DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy. The only pain I had was from the built up gas and that I felt in my shoulders from day two to four. Be gentle to yourself and follow orders and everything will be good. Best wishes to you and I know you will do very well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register