Effects of Alcohol Pre-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Effects of Alcohol Pre-Op Effects of Alcohol Pre-Op

Unread 10-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Effects of Alcohol Pre-Op

Hi ladies,

I'm new to Hyster-Sisters and this is my first post! I've been doing hours of reading on here getting caught up on so much information I have previously been unaware of. My TVH is scheduled for January 11th so I've got a few months to prepare still.

My situation is: I'm suffering from fibroids and have been bleeding pretty much every day for the last year. During the week of my "official" period it is immensely heavy. I'm having the hysterectomy for that reason as well as the fact that my cervix has been showing pre-cancerous cells for a couple years now, and at 41 I'm no longer looking to have children.

My question is: I've been curious about something for a few months now. I've been a social drinker for years - a few drinks on a saturday night, an ocassional one-drink on a weeknight. But for the last several months or so I find that I can no longer hold my alcohol at all. One or two beers and I'm drunk and vomiting. It's gotten progressively worse. At this point I've decided to no longer intake any alcohol between now and my surgery anyway, because I want to be as clean and toxin free as possible when I go in, but I'm curious to whether this is related in any way to what's going on with my female parts. The idea that I have "thin blood" due to the bleeding seems kinda cliche, but maybe not. Anybody else notice anything like this??? I'm really asking more out of curiousity than anything else since I don't plan on drinking for quite awhile now anyway, but I'd really be curious to hear....

Thank you all!

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Lori!

Glad you have found Hystersisters and are reading all you can! It really will help when you have your surgery!

I had a TVH for the same reasons you are having yours. I have been on so many differents meds this past year and half that I haven't had any alcohol in months. Sure do miss having a glass of wine with dinner every once in a while! I don't know if there is any connection but maybe someone around here has info on that.

I wish you the very best!

Deb
Unread 10-12-2004, 07:32 PM

Hi Lori!

Your question caught my attention because of something I noticed in the year or so prior to my hyst. Out of the blue, I reacted very intensely to alcohol...it seems like overnight, I suddenly became a "lightweight." One time, I had two or three fruity festive drinks at a lake party over the course of an afternoon, and I couldn't even remember the drive home! My DH said I got "plastered" and asked me how many I had!

Prior to my hyst, my doctor told me that lab tests indicated I was anemic. Since my hyst, I haven't had any "incidents" involving the moderate enjoyment of a drink or two. So...who knows?

Best Wishes and Many s to You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2004, 07:50 PM

I also have noticed the same effects. I was able to drink alot in one weekend (long islands or yager) but now if I drink anything but beer, I get totally zoo'd. I'm planning on not drinking the week before my surgery and that's only because my birthday is 10/14 so I am going to celebrate, but after that ~ no adult beverages for me! I'll let you know what happens after surgery!

shake your booty when life seems difficult!
Unread 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM

Wow thanks ladies - that's very interesting that a couple of you have experienced just what I have. Makes me feel a little less nutty. The first time it happened I actually thought maybe I had been drugged or something! Good to know I'm not alone!

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register