Abdominal Hyst Recovery Time - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hyst Recovery Time Abdominal Hyst Recovery Time

Unread 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Abdominal Hyst Recovery Time

I haven't had my surgery yet. Scheduled Oct 6. But just wanted to add my two cents about recovery from major surgery.
Yes, everyone feels better at different rates. But remember, you have had major traurma to your body. Be careful of scar tissue forming. Don't excercise, bend or overexert yourself too early of the dreaded adhesions will form. Do what your doc says and as hard as it is, take it easy!

BTW, I have heard it takes 2 years for the body to completely heal from major surgery. Having had 2 already, I would agree on that.

I don't want to scare you dear ladies, but scar tissue is nasty, I moved around too much after my spine surgery and now I have problems with it around my spine. I also moved around after another surgery and had problems with some of the sutures.

So jus enjoy your time to relax, believe me, a few weeks is better than permanent disability!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2004, 02:55 PM

I hear you, and thanks for the reminder.

I went to the store 2 weeks after my last c-section (had just been cleared to drive) and carried two 24-packs of pop to the car. Thought I was a wimp to not do that. What a fool! I was lucky I didn't pop my incision (which wasn't completely closed).

Honestly, you can do much more damage to yourself by doing too much than by taking it easy maybe a little longer than you should. Your muscle tone will come back in time. Short walks and GRADUAL increases in activity are the key.

I understand that some women who are truly in tip-top shape can do more quicker, but I would think they would be the exception rather than the rule. You and your dr. know best.
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:18 PM

Kindred,

I'm sure everyone has a somewhat different experience, but I'll relate mine.

I am one week one day post op. I spent two nights in the castle but only because my doctor said she had never discharged an abdominal patient after 24 hours, so I stayed until the next morning. Probably my greatest pain was the first time sitting and standing to go to the bathroom. My tummy felt so tight!! I did the pain meds (demerol) on surgery day only and have taken Aleve on one occasion since coming home.

My first two days home, I slept quite a bit. My walking was to the kitchen and to my chair in the den. I'm not driving yet -- doctor's orders to protect my incision from the seat belt. I did pad my belly with a pillow and went to Winn Dixie on Day 5 Post Op and to WalMart on Day 6 Post Op. Both outings were brief with slow strolling in the stores. Yes, I was a little tired when I got home, but it was much more entertaining than strolling between my kitchen and den!!

I've tried to consider what I ate since surgery to reduce the chance of gas. This has been very successful and I only had gas pains on Day 3 Post Op (also the first BM and it wasn't difficult). I think this was easier because I drank tons of liquids as soon as I could start following surgery (juice, tea, coffee, water, anything liquid). The BMs have been easy and already back to normal and I haven't had any problem with gas or lingering effects of anesthesia or meds.

I think I could probably go back to work anytime now, but I am able to take the month of September off so that's what I'm doing. My doctor suggested a month to be sure I allow the internal healing to take place and me not put any unnecessary stress on my body by working and overdoing.

Speaking of overdoing. Today I felt what could be described as a cramp or a stitch just beneath my ribs. All indications are I probably didn't lay around as much today as I should have.

Best of luck to all!
Unread 09-08-2004, 11:40 PM

HI! I had an abdominal hysterectomy and I was feeling okay at 6 weeks but by around the 8week mark I felt great. Around 9weeks my dr. released me to normal activities.Just remember we are all heal different. Get plenty of rest,take good care of yourself.You will be in our prayers. God Bless, Shimmer
Unread 09-09-2004, 07:44 AM

Hello ladies,

Doesn't recovery depend on the type of surgery you have? Then it would depend on the type of work you do as to when you can go back? The assistant of my department wants me to take the whole 6 weeks cause we do a lot of lifting in the school kitchens. Plus it depends how how faithful your are at following MD's directives, like walking and etc. My MD said do you remember what your c-section recovery was like? Well he said it would be the same. I had a c-section 21 years ago, may I rememeber. I will follow MD's orders and am hoping November 1st I can return to work. The ladies at my work are so very helpful, they will want to baby me and do all the lifting for awhile anyway.
Unread 09-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Yall are the best!

All i can say is this site has been a god send, i get to work every morning looking forward to seeing my email, i leave the site up all day and when the thought passes my mind of how long i will be down i come back here for my reasurances, you ladies have been so wonderful in putting fears to rest for me.

DH had a good idea last nite, he is going to rent one of those sliding tray tables for me while i am at home so he can put my computer on it instead of going across the house up and down so now i can lay in bed and read all the words of encouragement i have received since i joined this site.
I get sick to my stomach everytime i think about the surgery, and currently the doctor has me on pain pills to manage during the days due to severe back pain from my uterus being oversized and wrapped up in scar tissue, when he did my examination my uterus was so pulled back he couldnt find my cervix, so just dealing day to day now with the pain and discomfort of bleeding for 20 days..and SEX forget it..told DH i HAVE to have a "fun filled nite" before the surgery cause then i know i am off limits for 6 weeks. But i wanted to thank everyone for helping me get thru this...Huggs Bubbles

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register