Questions...how long until... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions...how long until... Questions...how long until...

Unread 10-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Questions...how long until...

My TAH/BSO is Oct 21.

What I want to know is, after my surgery,

How long until:

- I'm back in my old jeans

- I can drive

- I can exercise

- I'll feel somewhat normal again?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2003, 12:07 PM

Hi Becca,

I was in my old jeans (the loose ones) at 4 wks post op....for 2 hours and then I changed with a big sigh of relief.

Was cleared to drive at 3 wks, but I was still a bit nervous about it. Didn't have the mobility I was used to...twisting to look over shoulder for backing, getting in and out of car still tough.

Haven't been cleared to much more than walk right now. I can lift 10 lbs...have done 15 without pain, but trying to be careful.

I'm not sure I was EVER normal But I do feel really good...good enough that I have to make a conscious effort not to do too much. I will return to work on half days next Friday and have light duty for 2-4 weeks after that.

Remember...everyone is different.
s
Cat
Unread 10-03-2003, 12:09 PM

Hi,

Everyone is different, so it's really hard to be able to answer your questions, as none of us have the same recovery experience.

I can only tell you what I experienced after my TAH last year.

How long until:

- I'm back in my old jeans

I'm STILL not back in my old jeans, even after 16 months. They just don't fit right anymore. My waist-line seems to have readjusted itself outwards, so when I find a pair of jeans that fit in the waist, the legs are too large! Stretch jeans are my friend now, and even after all this time, I don't like pants with zippers.

- I can drive

Your doctor will give you instructions on this, but with most ladies, it's at least 2 weeks. The rule of thumb is not to drive until you're off of all narcotic pain meds, can stomp the brake hard without pain, and can turn at a 90 degree angle to look behind you.

- I can exercise

You can start walking as soon as you feel up to it. In fact, it's recommended that you get moving as quickly as possible, as this will keep "the plumbing" working and also help prevent blood clots. In terms of other exercising, it's generally recommended to wait 6 weeks, and to return to your routine slowly.

- I'll feel somewhat normal again?

Initial recovery is 6 to 8 weeks, with full recovery taking anywhere from 6 months to a year. You should starting feeling more normal at around the 7 week mark, but you may also have fatigue for several months.

Read and learn all that you can. Knowledge is power. If you haven't already, check out the Pre-Op Hints and Articles link on the main homepage (click the Princess logo at the top of this page to get back to the main homepage.)

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2003, 03:07 PM

Glad you asked this question since I was just getting ready to type the same thing. I'm also 31, and I'm having a vaginal hysterectomy this month on 10/21. I'm not at all worried about the surgery, but the whole recovery thing is a bit worrisome for me since I have two small kids at home (ages 4 and 2). I just picked up a couple pairs of sweats today and some bralette tank tops, so I can be comfortable for a couple weeks. I guess based on everyone's input, I should not plan to wear my jeans for awhile, and should probably plan to put my gym membership on hold status for a couple months. I've made childcare plans for 3 weeks, and sure hope that will be enough!

Kim
Unread 10-03-2003, 04:45 PM

I am 10 day post op from TAH/BSO.

I am going to start backwards to answer your questions.

I felt "normal" as soon as the heavy drugs wore off in the castle. Just wasn't able to get around as well. I am back to my wacky normal now and no longer feel the need to nap during the day. That was an odd thing for me, napping.

My doc told me I can go back to exercising at 8 weeks post op. That's good for me because I am missing my time at Curve's, it's my 30 minutes of me time.

Driving...I have not been allowed to drive now for 20 months due to an injury so this part does not affect me, 2 to 3 weeks is the range most are allowed back behind the wheel.

Wearing my old jeans, well I have not done this yet and to tell you the truth I am having a hard time wrapping my feeble brain around this idea right now. Not because my belly hurts, it doesn't but because I am in love with my very roomy jammie pants. Also, I don't think my old jeans will fit once I am able to bear them on my belly, I think they will be too big as my mid section has gotten smaller since surgery.

s

Donna
Unread 10-03-2003, 05:18 PM

Hiya,

I had a TAH on May 12, so am now 21 weeks post op.

It took me about two weeks to feel comfortable in my old jeans, although I did wear them home from hospital, but they were uncomfortable. I didn't suffer too much from swelly belly thank goodness, so this was never really a problem for me.

I was told I would be able to drive six weeks after TAH, which to me was a miracle as I couldn't drive before I had it due to never passing my test. lol.

Exercise...well, walking gently from day one, and not swimming before week six was recommended for me. I was told 3 months before doing any "real" excercise like an aerobics class and definitely weights. You would DEFINITELY need to speak to a doctor before doing anything too strenuous.

Hmmm what's normal?? It took me about three months before I felt ok. Bear in mind though my op was a lot bigger than most...average length of TAH is about 45 mins, and mine was 5 1/2 hours...and I had an awful lot of stuff wrong...bought one gynae condition (endo) and seemed to get the rest for free (fibroids, cysts, tumours, adeno, adehesions...etc, etc!)

So, just to say what others have said too, EVERYONE is different and EVERYONE will heal at different rates, there is no right or wrong way to heal and you will do it in your own time!

Good luck
Blade
Unread 10-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Recovery Times

I am six weeks post TAH, and having been told right after surgery that I did NOT have cancer as everyone expected was the biggest relief that I think my recovery was given a big boost. With my uterus and tumor gone, and not having much swelly-belly, I was wearing my jeans at week 4, and they fit better than ever! As everyone has said, my DR said no driving until I was off narcotics; but a physical therapist told me to hold off until I could twist and bend with no pain. For me this was week 3. I have been feeling "normal" since the acute pain went away, and have added to my activity level each week. I went to the gym last week, but only for the treadmill and free weights under 10 lbs. Both the DR and PT told me to add resistance gradually, and nothing more than 50 lbs for 10 weeks. This is important for me because I'm an occupational therapist and need to be able to transfer patients from bed to wheelchair. But everyone has a different recovery period. Best wishes and a hug for yours!
Unread 10-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to say

... that I used a belly binder when I started driving and found this very comfortable, as the seat belt rubbed against my stitches I also used this when I had to start walking longer distances. I only used it for about a week, but it really helped.
Unread 10-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Recovery Times

I am six weeks post TAH, and having been told right after surgery that I did NOT have cancer as everyone expected was the biggest relief that I think my recovery was given a big boost. With my uterus and tumor gone, and not having much swelly-belly, I was wearing my jeans at week 4, and they fit better than ever! As everyone has said, my DR said no driving until I was off narcotics; but a physical therapist told me to hold off until I could twist and bend with no pain. For me this was week 3. I have been feeling "normal" since the acute pain went away, and have added to my activity level each week. I went to the gym last week, but only for the treadmill and free weights under 10 lbs. Both the DR and PT told me to add resistance gradually, and nothing more than 50 lbs for 10 weeks. This is important for me because I'm an occupational therapist and need to be able to transfer patients from bed to wheelchair. But everyone has a different recovery period. Best wishes and a hug for yours!
Unread 10-04-2003, 03:19 AM

"Normal"? HA! What's that? Normal is a setting on a hair dryer! heheehe

The BEST thing about my surgery is that I no longer look or feel 6 months pregnant! I need to buy NEW clothes 'cuz none of 'em fit - my belly is so flat - yahoooo!

I drove at 2 1/2 weeks (short rides) and was still a little nervous. When I fastened my seatbelt, the lap part I stretched over and wrapped on my knee - I didn't want to have to slam hard and the seat belt crunch in to my belly.

Exercise - every doc is a bit different and every woman is different. I was walking IMMEDIATELY (even in the castle). When I returned home, I could only walk 1/2 a block a day, but then by 1 week post I was walking around the block. SLOW SLOW SLOW is the key. Remember - you have the rest of your life to exercise, you only have ONE chance to heal properly!

Feeling normal - well, the minute I woke up in recovery I knew I was all better so I guess in that sense I felt "normal". I'm now 6 weeks and I still get a little tired here and there and suffer swelly belly, but I love my new life!

Good luck and best wishes for an uneventful surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register