Anyone ever heard of this type of spinal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone ever heard of this type of spinal? Anyone ever heard of this type of spinal?

Unread 10-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Anyone ever heard of this type of spinal?

Ok, Doc said I could have a spinal. At first I thought HECK NO but once he explained the whole thing to me I think I may go for it. But I would like to know if anyone here has ever had this particular spinal.

The way this one works is they do your surgery and once they are done, and before they take you off the anesthesia they roll you over on your side and the anesthesiologist gives you a spinal shot of this new medicine that has only been available for about 2 years now. It doesn't cause the headaches and backaches a regular spinal does and it is long acting: 24 hours of pain relief. It numbs the same area as a saddle block, so you can stand, walk, whatever, and you don't lose control of your bodily functions.

Since it takes about an hour for it to start working you may initially wake up in pain but once it kicks in you are pain free for a whole day.

So the pluses are:
you are asleep when they put it in
med doesn't cause head or back aches
lasts for 24 hours
doesn't affect walking or pottying.

Has anyone had this particular spinal done? How well did it work? Is it all that they say it will be?

I don't want to be doped up so if this would keep me from having to take a bunch of pills I would love it.

Anybody?

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2002, 07:39 PM

I am not familiar with this type of spinal, but I am sure someone here is! Have you tried doing a searc at the top of the home page to see other posts on spinals? Just a thought and I hope you get the info you need! s
Unread 10-12-2002, 11:48 PM

It sounds great. Are you going to do it?

I had a spinal years ago and ended up with screaming whirlwind noises in my head and sever headaches. Days later they had to add fluid to my spinal column.

Why not have a spinal ( they must be better now) and then have the shot right after surgery so you won't have any anesthesia in your system or have the trach tube?

I hope you love this shot. Let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2002, 12:01 AM

I've tried searching for this but I haven't seen anything so far like this.

I really think I'm going to go for this. It will mean I won't need as many pain meds. And I REALLY don't like being doped up. I take enough medications now as it is.

I'll let everyone know how it goes with it and if it is all the doc says it is. I'll even try to get the name of the medicine that they put in.
Unread 10-13-2002, 07:27 PM

The kind I had included two meds (I'm guessing)... one that kept me completely numb and paralized from the ribs down for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, during surgery, and the other (morphine) that did a darned good job of painkilling for 18-24 hours.

It sounds to me like what you doctor is proposing is just the painkilling part, post-op. That sounds like a great option - I don't know why they don't do that more often.

FYI, I believe it's not the meds, but the new needle design that reduced the likelihood of headaches (I've only heard of one case here). And even if you are awake when they put it in, it's not bad. I was awake for mine, and it hurt like any little needle stick - like for a blood draw - not bad at all.

Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register