How soon back to work after TAH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon back to work after TAH? How soon back to work after TAH?

Unread 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Re: How soon back to work after TAH?

I started back to work last week after 6 weeks off for a TAH. I wish I had taken 2 more weeks off. A full day of work is very tiring for me at this time and I have a desk job. I am having problems again with gas/bowel movements and swelly belly.....I am doing a lot of resting this weekend because I am feeling the pulling, tugging, aches and pains that I was feeling 2 weeks ago. Enjoy the time off and rest up. I am fortunate that my boss is very understanding and I have been able to leave early a few days to go home and rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM

My doctor told me four weeks and I had originally planned to return part time after three. I have a desk job and can lie down during the day, so it might have been doable if I hadn't had complications.
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I don't see my Dr for the 1st time since surgery until Jan 25th because she has 2 offices and thats the soonest 2 weeks pre-op appt I could get near were I live. I will see what she says about my incision and progress then make a decision about starting back to work Feb 1st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:02 PM

I went back to work after 2.5 weeks however I don't recommend doing that. My boss didn't rush me back to work but I'm one of those few people who absolutely love my job.
That being said, everyone tells you to take it easy but it is difficult to do and I underestimated the mental grind of dealing with my employees.
If I had it to do over again, I would've stayed off at least a week longer.
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and i go see my doctor tomorrow.. i am suppose to go back to work Jan. 14.. I am a paratransit driver. I feel ready. i sit most of my job.. I usualy work 12 hour days. I may have to start off slow. right now when i feel my back ache when i sit for look periods of time i can just go lay down.. I no i cant do that at work so I see what my doc. says tomorrow..
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM

December 2nd was my hysterectomy and bladder sling surgery. Between day two and about the second week I thought ... Am I ever going to get better?

Well I am going back to work tomorrow, I'm planning on half to 3/4 days to start, but so far I feel pretty good. I am not 100% yet, but I see that point around the corner.

I get tired late afternoon, if I've been up and about, and my belly starts to swell and ache, so I know I have to rest and put my feet up.

I see my surgeon in a couple of days and I hoping he says everything is healing nicely.

I am looking forward to getting back to routines and working out. I lost weight after surgery, but I feel it creeping up a little.

Good luck ladies, I hope you are all doing well.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:55 PM

I had my TAH on Nov. 15th. I work as a home health aide and I am just starting back to work now in week 7. I did try to work in week 3, big mistake as I was really weak. In week four the retention sutures started to sink in to the skin and was in so much pain i thought I was going to die. So my vote is don't rush yourself you did have a major surgery. I was very antsy and had to realize taking care of myself was more important than any job.
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM

thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I start week 6 mon I go to see the doctor onFri the 21st to determine if I am ready to go back to work on Mon the 24th am a little worried I work retail and spend a lot of time on my feet work several hours by myseld so its not like I can rest. I lift boxes over 20-40 pound boxes and several at a time. I am hoping the doctor will have me go back to work half days with lifting restrictions.
Unread 01-15-2011, 11:18 AM

enjoy your time right now.. thier are days that you will be glad u dont have to go out. keep drinking your fluids and let everyone pamper you. let your body heal.. i found that reading and puzzle books kept me from being totaly bored. but knowing that i could stop and rest when ever i needed to made all the difference in the world
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley10 View Post
Hello! For those Systers who have had a TAH ~

I am just curious to hear about real experiences. How soon were you able to go back to work full time after your TAH? My doc says 6 - 8 weeks but that seems soo long! I am at a week and a half post op right now. Not ready to go back to work at all at this moment, but am very restless!

Is 6 - 8 weeks pretty realistic?

Thanks!!
Unread 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Hello ladies

I had everything out with no HRT at the age of 39. I am a private teacher and teach from home and took off 8 weeks.

This has been my first week back and it has been very uncomfortable, swelly belly like u wouldn´t believe and it feels like I´ve done a thousand sit-ups a day. (I don't work more than 5 hours per day max.)

If I could have taken a couple of more weeks I would (money money) because I feel like I've taken a beating every night - so if you can take the time off - take it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register