Keep the cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep the cervix or not? Keep the cervix or not?

Unread 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Keep the cervix or not?

Hi. I'm new here. I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis. I have to get a hysterectomy soon. I had an ablation for heavy bleeding and cramps two years ago. I am still having horrible cramping and abdominal pain. No bleeding. My doctor is willing to let me keep my cervix or she will take it. I am trying to decide. She says it doesn't matter either way as far as sexual function. Also if the adenomyosis is in my cervix as well I can go back and have it removed later. She said that would be pretty simple quick surgery. She is taking out my fallopian tubes and uterus. I get to keep my ovaries which is so fortunate.
Does anyone know any benefits or disadvantages of keeping the cervix? Help. I'm so confused. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Re: Keep the cervix or not?

Pros to leaving it- I think it makes some prolapse problems less likely, and if you enjoy having your cervix stimulated during sex, you will still have that.

cons- can still develop cervical cancer, the cervix is technically part of the uterus so it may have adenomyosis as well. Mini periods are a possibility if the ovaries are left.

I had a LAVH so I had no choice but to lose the cervix. Haven't been cleared for intercourse yet.
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm keeping mine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Hi infoseeker:

Here is a link to one of our Checkpoints regarding keeping your cervix (or not): https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Have you had a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion? My 3rd doctor had a less-invasive plan for my treatment.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM

I did more research about keeping my ovaries and yes this is good. Lots of health benefits...heart, hormones, etc. Regards to cervix, mine was removed with my uterus last week since my pap smear came out positive for displasia. If I had kept my cervix, I would have to go through more testing and probably another LEEP procedure...didn't want to deal with any more drama so I opted to have him remove it which is what he recommended.
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:42 AM

I grappled with this one as it could go ether way for me. I decided to let the doc take it. he felt that ti would not affect sexual function and many of the supposed cons are not accurate in his opinion. Because of a history of gyn cancers in my family, and the fact that I was afraid of still having periods, etc. (I'd be the one that would have weird heavy bleeding anyway...that's just how I've been), I let him take it. for now, everything we've tried sexually has been great (still no intercourse, so I can't verify that, but we've tried a lot of other things). The doctor told me he believes that if you wind up with a prolapse after a hysterectomy., you were probably going to have one anyway. In short, 3 weeks out, I don't regret the decision to have the surgeon take my cervix.
Unread 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM

I kept my cervix, since I've never had an abnormal pap and my gyn said there was no reason to take it out, unless I wanted her to.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Thank you for your post. My doc really wants to take my cervix also. Not sure if this relates but my Birthmother died of cervical cancer. Hope your recovery is going well.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM

i didn't have a whole lot of cervix left and i had pre cancer in the cervix which never went away...it would keep coming back!
So i lost the cervix along with the uterus.

Goodluck.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:43 PM

I kept mine. It was healthy and it is less invasive surgery when they don't take it. I am fully aware of the pros and cons and for me, the pros outweighed the cons.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register