Prolapse... long process or sudden event? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse... long process or sudden event? Prolapse... long process or sudden event?

Unread 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Prolapse... long process or sudden event?

A couple of months ago we bought a new love seat, and my DH and I carried it upstairs and down the hall. The next day I has some abnormal bleeding (I'm well past menopause) and went to the doctor immediately, where I learned I had a big grade 3 cystocele plus rectocele and uterine prolapse.

Previously I had NO IDEA this was happening to me! Not a suspicion of anything dropping at all... in fact I didn't even know pelvic prolapse happened to women.

Could my condition have been developing slowly over years even though I wasn't aware of it... or did that one event of havy lifting cause everything to come tumbling down? The doctors seem to have no clue... they're just kind of vague about causes.

I'm getting it all fixed next month so I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm still curious. And I suppose mainly I'm worried that if lifting a couch could cause this to happen so suddenly, I'll have to be super careful for the rest of my life. I'm not sure if I can manage that.

Just interested to know if any of you had prolapse happen suddenly, and were able to pinpoint the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Re: Prolapse... long process or sudden event?

I'm not sure I know the answer. I've wondered the same thing myself. But like you, my awareness was sudden. I had the flu in March. I went to the bathroom one evening after an intense bout of coughing, and suddenly I could see my cervix. Like you, I had no idea such a thing could happen. Thank God for the internet. I diagosed myself after a five minute google of my symptom.

I suspect the problem started 23 years ago when my first child was born (there was lots of tearing), and the cough pushed it over the edge.

I'm getting it fixed next month also.
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM

I remember after a couple of day after my 3rd child was born going on a walk up hill in the wind and "feeling" like something fell. That was 11 years ago. Went on to have a fourth and things maybe improved a little of stayed the same. It wasn't until this last couple of years it became more noticable and just had it all taken care of. I've heard from experienced women to just stay clear of lifting or risk repeat surgery. I don't want that so I'm going to play my "girl card" for life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM

After the birth of my last child 20 years ago.. I had a prolapse (but didn't know it either!) A few years ago, my gyn told me I was prolapsed and surgery was in my future... like you, I didn't know women prolapsed either! I really have lived with things so long.. that I didn't know what "normal" was any longer.

I really never had much discomfort, as some women here seem to have - but my most noticeable symptoms were - 1) having to splint to have a BM, and 2) having to strain to empty my bladder.
Unread 06-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Altagal, I believe my prolapse happened after I helped move a couch, as well. My employer had myself and another gal move furniture around in the waiting room. We lifted the couch, not dragged it. When I got home that evening, the cervix was slightly out. I was terrified, I didn't even know what it was. I went to one of those "instacare" offices and the doctor told me what was wrong. After that, it was a gradual thing and this winter I had a hysterectomy. I'm still very careful about what I lift, no more couches for sure.
Unread 06-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Hi. I had a hysterectomy and 5 weeks later I had a bowel movement and felt as though my rectum shifted forward suddenly and it had. It felt like it was in my vagina. It was.
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Hi, in answer to your question, YES I think a prolapse can happen very quickly, although I think that the weakening of the pelvic floor happens over time the final straw snaps quickly! I knew my pelvic floor (bladder, bowel and uterus) had fallen after a tramatic birth 14 years ago. I was always told that they were low but had no problems. 2 years ago I had an Endometrial Ablation to end heavy bleeding and give relief to my uterus that was very low. All was good for a year. Then while moving a couch (sound familiar?) I doubled over in pain and felt something fall out! My bladder prolapsed through the vagina with my bowel and uterus caving in on top. A total pelvic floor repair put all three back in place, but after only ten day all was not well. My damaged and elongated cervix decided to fall into the lower vagina even though my uterus stayed in place with mesh. 8 days ago I had a total hysterectomy. 2 years, 3 surgeries and I finally feel normal. Now I pray that the mesh will hold the other two in place for a long time. I will never move a couch again.
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:29 PM

ladies, I think I am staying away from couches!!!
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyme View Post
I'm not sure I know the answer. I've wondered the same thing myself. But like you, my awareness was sudden. I had the flu in March. I went to the bathroom one evening after an intense bout of coughing, and suddenly I could see my cervix. Like you, I had no idea such a thing could happen. Thank God for the internet. I diagosed myself after a five minute google of my symptom.

I suspect the problem started 23 years ago when my first child was born (there was lots of tearing), and the cough pushed it over the edge.

I'm getting it fixed next month also.
I had to do a double take to make sure your story wasn't written by me. I had my yearly Pap in January and there was nothing wrong, and I know I had no prolapse whatsoever or any symptoms. In March my husband brought home a stomach bug that went through the house, ending with ME (the one who spent 5 days mopping up after everybody else's misses in the bathroom) and I was practically turned inside out with the awful diarrhea. Got over that in 24 hours and in the next week I noticed a sensation like a tampon was slipping out. I got out a mirror and investigated myself and there it was, front and back meeting in the middle and on it's way out. Saw my GYN a couple weeks later and sure enough, grade 2 almost grade 3 cystocele and rectocele, literally overnight. Now I'm sure the "damage" was done 15 yrs ago when I had a traumatic vaginal birth, but it was amazing that it all just "gave way" so fast. I've also never been one to hesitate to move heavy furniture or lift heavy stuff, so I'm sure that didn't help.
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Wow, it's so interesting to read your stories. I'm tending to think both things may be true.... prolapse is both a long process AND a sudden event. As kajs says... our problem develops slowly over time and then something (heavy lifting, a bad cough, whatever) seems to act as the "final straw."

Aother thing that intersts me... is it hereditary? Did your mothers suffer from prolapse? This is a hard question, because it's something nobody ever talks about and women of my mother's generation hated to see gynecologists. I would have had to tie my mother hand and foot to get her into a doctor's office for an examination "down there", and her distress would have been terrible. But near the end of her life I know she suffered from urinary incontinence and distended abdomen.

I'd really like to know if prolapse is a genetic condition, so I can warn my daughters to be extra careful... especially with COUCHES!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register