Lupron, fibroids and pre-op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron, fibroids and pre-op! Lupron, fibroids and pre-op!

Unread 06-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Lupron, fibroids and pre-op!

Had my pre-op today and it was all very positive, informative, respectful and optimistic.

I have been on Lupron for 3 months for the purpose of shrinking the fibroids to make for a better surgery - and guess what! They got BIGGER! I have also NOT stopped bleeding, even with the progesterone. Apparently, the fibroid can be SO big that it presses on the wall of the uterus, causing it to bleed. Ugh.

I am feeling SO much better since the anemia is clearing - thank God for iron supplements and Metamucil!

I am really looking forward to being on the other side of this!

jojo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM

I have my consultation tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, how large are your fibroids, and how many? I have 15 that they could see to count, largest one 17 cm, and I have pretty intense back and thigh pain much of the time, not to mention a giant stomach and a constant period. I, too, am anxious to be on the other side of this!
Unread 06-16-2004, 07:28 PM

JoJo,

I was on (3) months of lupron also.

One fibroid only shrunk minimally. Only a teensy-weensy bit. The other one shrunk more.

So...don't give up hope!! It does happen with lupron. My Dr. expected better results and it still all worked out for my surgery.

Good Luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2004, 07:54 PM

I can't rememember the centimeter size of the fibroids. I know I have one REALLY big one and "multiple" smaller ones. What "stands out" [please excuse the pun] is that cumulatively the fibroids increase the size of my uterus to that of a "small volleyball". My uterus goes from my pubic bone to my belly button, [which i believe is 17 cm] and from hip bone to hip bone. Not a pretty sight! I, too, have had back pain [particularly when bleeding] - and, ocassionally I will get numbness in my legs, which means the fibroid is pinching on the sciatic nerve. I am curious about how much this thing weighs, because it is big and hard and feels really gross. Good luck with your consultation. I had a really positive experience today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register