swelling and gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swelling and gas swelling and gas

Unread 01-13-2001, 09:22 PM
swelling and gas

Hello
This is my first time actually asking any questions in here, I have been doing a lot of reading and it has really helped knowing I am not alone in this. I am 32 and going for surgery the 17th jan, 3 days and one wake up. I am SCARED CRAZY about being put to sleep. I am having a full hysterectomy done. Right now I have a lot of swelling in the lower abdominal area and a lot of gas the past two weeks. I was wondering will it get better. I look somewhat pregnant. My kids are 9 and 11. My stomach has always been pretty small. I am wondering how long I will have to wait before I can work out at the gym. I normally work out at least 6 days a week. Being stuck in the house and bed will be very hard on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2001, 10:12 PM
swelling and gas

Hello Jaay. I'm having my TAH/BSO the day before you are. I've asked for (and my doctor approved) a spinal rather then general anesthetic. From what I understand, I'll be in a much lighter sleep then I would be under a general. The fear of not waking up after the hyst seems to be very common but as you can tell from all the new Princesses who come back on the boards and tell their stories, everyone does! You might get more reassurance by posting your concerns on the post op board. We're both getting so close to our dates that some nerves at this stage are very normal.

I've also wondered about how soon I can resume working out. I was told at my pre op appointment that I can't do anything at all for 2 weeks. I'll see the doctor at that point and will be given more information. I was told when the surgery was first scheduled that I would have some restrictions for as long as 3 to 6 months but I'm having a bladder repair done with the hyst so that may make a difference. Please be very cautious about your activity level during your recovery. Walking during recovery is encouraged: maybe your doctor will approve a walking workout for you when you are getting close to your six week anniversary. I've decided I'm going to follow my doctor's instructions (and the advice of the other hyster sisters) to the letter - I don't want any set backs in my recovery.

Best of luck to you! Promise to post once you're home again so we can hear your "success" story.
Carol
Unread 01-14-2001, 12:30 AM
swelling and gas

Hi Jaay!
I'm 41 years old and had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 11/29/2000 without removal of tubes and ovaries. It was supposed to be vaginal but I developed some bleeding in surgery that they couldn't control so had to perform an emergency abdominal. I too was consistent with working out 5-6 days a week alternating walking, aerobics, jogging and weight training- so I know it can be a major issue for us "active individuals". The second day I was walking the halls at the hospital 3 x a day on the advice of my Physician. After I got home I walked everyday for a week and completed approx. a mile a day. The second week I was walking between 2-4 miles per day-not race walking either. I would either walk outside (the weather was nice here in December) and I would walk on the treadmill. I did not lift any weights for 6 weeks or jog. I just recently was able to resume my weights,aerobics and jogging as tolerated. Yes...I am feeling a bit sore but overall I am feeling great. You just have to know your limit.I never had any bleeding activity level after surgery. My Physician said that after my 2 week post op appointment I had made a remarkable recovery. I lost so much blood in surgery they almost transfused me! I find that many doctors give different advice to their patient. My Doctor was a firm believer in mild activity everyday as tolerated. You will be surprised how much better you'll do post surgery because of your current exercise regime. The gas or size of your abdomen could possibly be from the size of your uterus. I looked like I was pregnant before the surgery and now my stomach looks much flatter. My operative report from the hospital revealed that mu uterus was the size of a 3-4 month pregnancy. Take care and don't get discouraged-you already have an advantage in your recovery.

John3:16
TAH 11/29/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2001, 12:44 AM
swelling and gas

Jaay,
I forgot to respond to your question about "being put to sleep" I know its your decision..but I would rather have general anesthesia than a spinal. Don't be nervous about it. Your anesthesiologist can answer any questions you may have and can also give you some Versed just prior to your surgery. It's a drug that helps to "take the edge off". I had massive doses of anesthesia because I developed some complications. My two hour surgery turned into a 4 hour one but I woke up with minimal side effects. These anesthesiologists are good and the drugs they use today are different than years ago. Trust me on this one-I work in the medical field.

John3:16
TAH 11/29/2000
Unread 01-15-2001, 12:49 AM
swelling and gas

Thanks for all the useful information. I think I would feel better if I could get some rest now. I haven't slept for nights. I thought I had things all prepared, well my cycle started today, I am so mad, my surgery is set for wednesday morning, I hope this doesn't change things, I am ready, I want if over with. I will contact my doctor and see what he says. Thanks for all the support, this is a great sight. It is great getting input from others actually going through the same thing.
Unread 01-15-2001, 01:54 AM
swelling and gas

Hi Jaay,

Don't worry about starting your period - it won't change a thing.

I had my TAH done with a spinal. I'd recommend it. Very easy on me - no nausea, no brain fog... I came out of the OR feeling very normal, with no pain. For endless details you can check out my other posts on having a spinal:

About a spinal:
https://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...threadid=16757
and another one:
https://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...threadid=17004

Try to get some rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register