Hematoma at incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hematoma at incision Hematoma at incision

Unread 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Hematoma at incision

I thought I was healing nicely 11 days past my hysterectomy, done 11/14. I have a 10" horizontal incision. Yesterday it looked like a small area may have opened up so we called the doctor and made a trip to urgent care.

The doctor said the area I was concerned about was OK but he saw a hematoma on another area. He proceeded to open up my incision, clean it out and pack it with instructions sent home to repack 2 times a day.

When I got my husband to help me with the repack we were in shock. I have about a 6" long opening that is 3-4" deep. We immediately went to the emergency room.

I saw two doctors there and even asked for a gyn consult. Ereryone was in consensus that it wil take more time to heal from the inside out and to continue taking my antibiotics. I was also given a belly band which will hold it together. Otherwise under the guaze the incision just lays open.

I am so frustrated. I have a message in to my gyn to let her know what is going on. Has anyone had this same experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Hematoma at incision

Dear CUCruising:
I am so sorry to hear about this setback. I can only imagine your frustration in all of this. However, I do not have any personal experience in this.
Do what they have told you to do and see your GYN as quickly as you can.
God Bless.
C
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Hematoma at incision

I havent had this happened to me.Just wanted to tell you that I hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Hematoma at incision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCruising
I thought I was healing nicely 11 days past my hysterectomy, done 11/14. I have a 10" horizontal incision. Yesterday it looked like a small area may have opened up so we called the doctor and made a trip to urgent care.

The doctor said the area I was concerned about was OK but he saw a hematoma on another area. He proceeded to open up my incision, clean it out and pack it with instructions sent home to repack 2 times a day.

When I got my husband to help me with the repack we were in shock. I have about a 6" long opening that is 3-4" deep. We immediately went to the emergency room.

I saw two doctors there and even asked for a gyn consult. Ereryone was in consensus that it wil take more time to heal from the inside out and to continue taking my antibiotics. I was also given a belly band which will hold it together. Otherwise under the guaze the incision just lays open.

I am so frustrated. I have a message in to my gyn to let her know what is going on. Has anyone had this same experience?

I had my hysterectomy on Oct 18 came home on the 20th was high tailing back to my dr on the 22 cause i had a gush of fluid out of my incision.(scared me and dh half to death)
got to the dr she took out the bottom 4 stiches packed it with stripping and put a bandage over it ,put me on cipro
we have been changing it everyday and I see my ob\gyn one a week so she can make sure everything is all right.Mine started out being 14cm deep now its 4 and a half.
It is very scarey and can get really exspensive for the packing supplies.Get your DR to put in a order for a home health care nurse and your insurance should pay for it. they come out one a day and change it for you and furnish all the supplies.My insurance company just stopped mine buut the nurse I had really stocked us up before it happened all I've had to buy was the outside bandage.
I am still on pain meds cause it does hurt when they change it.I normally take one pill about an hour before we change mine.
I will be glad to talk with you more about it if you need to.
lots of hugs to you and I wish you the best.
vicki
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Hematoma at incision

Dear Hyster Sister

I too had a hematoma develop at my incision just one week after my surgery on Oct 23rd. Praise the Lord when mine opened my husband was still home and had not left for work.

It scared us to death because there was so much dark blood. My DH called 911 and I was taken to ER then transported to my Doctor's office (which is located next to the hospital).

For one week we too packed the opening. I was put on an antibitotic. The nurse loaded us up with all the supplies that we would need. I followed up with the his nurse every day due to him being out of town at a conference.

Upon seeing my Doctor the following week he said it was and had healed but not as quickly as he would like. I went back to surgery for a 15 minute procedure (that day) where he opened the entire incision. He found another hematoma developing. He cleaned it all out and put a JP tube in to remove any drainage.

Four days later the tube was removed and seven days the staples removed.

All the steri strips have come off on their own and I feel really good. I was supposed to have seen the Dr last Wednesday for a follow up but he had to reschedule...so I see him this coming Friday.

I will have to say mine did not hurt when it was being packed. The Dr said that's because my nerve ends had been cut and had not healed back.

You're in my thoughts!
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Hematoma at incision

Hi CUcrusing

I didnt have a hematoma but had a wound infection. I wound up in the hospital 3 days after my hyst and spent 4 days there. twice a day my wound was irrigated and packed with gauze and what ever else they put in there. when I was released and went to my GYN ( she was away on vacation the whole time I was in the hospital, her partner took excellent care of me in the hosp) she immediatly opened my whole incision and removed the stitches because the infection started to tunnel beyond the incision. I went to her office everyday so she could clean it and she taught my daughter, who is a nursing student, how to take care of it at night. It was the most grossest thing I've ever seen! The doctor chose to take care of my wound herself as apposed to a home health nurse because she was afraid that I would get someone different everyday and maybe not as competent in wound care... I didnt mind going to her, gave me something to do, and her office is only 20 mins from my house.... my wound finally healed after 6 weeks BUT i wound up with an incisional hernia from the wound infection.... I just had that repaired 3 weeks ago. so now im recovering from that and cant wait to get back to work and back to my life! yes it is a major set back and emotionally and physically draining but just hang in there it will all be over with before you know it and remember that we are all praying for your recovery! keep us posted

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register