question about shoveling the driveway | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about shoveling the driveway question about shoveling the driveway

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM
question about shoveling the driveway

So I am almost 9 weeks from a LSH, I live up here in Alaska and of course we have snow and would like to shovel the driveway. I know I need to ask doc but its saturday and would like to get it done, does anyone have any suggestions about whether or not I should or shouldn't be doing this. I still am dealing with pain, but feel as though I could do it. Thanks, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Re: question about shoveling the driveway

Hi - I 'm glad you're feeling so well that you would even ask such a silly question but i'm pretty sure that is a bad idea. That is heavy and low. Can you pay someone else to do it?
Unread 11-28-2009, 08:40 PM

NOOOO!! Don't shovel the driveway! What about hubby? Kids? A neighbor! Anyone around there have a snow-blower?? I really think that you'd regret it if you did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Fearfulinalaska - please don't put on the superwoman cape just yet. I agree with bronx6t6, low and heavy is a bad combination.
Take care of you!
Unread 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Alaska...I totally agree with everyone else. Please don't try to shovel...just yet! Since you live in Alaska there will be plenty of time for that! Take is easy...(easier said than done I know). Good luck...I know how hard it is to see something that needs to be done, yet you can't do it...just yet. Good luck...stay warm!
Unread 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Ok, so I agree with everyone...9 weeks is too soon...but when would it be ok, I don't live in Alaska, but get plenty of snow each year in the Sierra's of CA...I am at 8 weeks (tomorrow) and every storm we have had so far, I have prayed no snow...been lucky so far, but know it is coming soon! I am single and unemployed so I have no one to do it and no $$ to pay someone....going to doc tomorrow so will be asking her too..but would like the adivice of my hystersister experts...no one knows until they have lived it....at least that is my opinion!

Thanks!
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Dang it ladies I know your right but it reeeeaaaallllyyyy needs to be done. Its driving me nuts. I did it very time it snowed last year it was great excerize. I will wait and call doc tomorrow and ask, but just to let you know we are getting quite a few inches as I type this There is probably about 6-10 inches already that needs to be shoveled away and no one else to do it. Well my kids might do it but they dont do it right, and hubby has a bad back and shoulder (he broke his back a few years ago and has never been the same) so hes out. So I am doomed to wait yet another day and yet more snow before I can even find out that "I shouldnt do it quiet yet" this sucks big time I wish I could just be all better already.
And thank you ladies for your concern
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM

OK - so hubby has a bad back, and you have a bad crotch
i guess that leaves the dang kids to do it all wrong!

A messy driveway is better than a hemmorhaging Mom

kisses from Florida
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:54 PM

I live in Wisconsin and had to suffer with a less-than-idea driveway last winter. I love shoveling snow, but it was too much. Even at two and three months post-op, I would find that just pushing about half an inch of snow off the driveway caused pain and swelling. There was no way I could lift the snow.

I know it's so hard, but this is a time to ask for help. If your family isn't able to do it, ask your neighbors or co-workers. If you need to, try a barter system--"if you shovel for me, I'll address your holiday cards."

You are still healing, and it's important not to strain any of that internal tissue right now.

I'm sending I know it's hard to not to what needs doing--but it can't be done by you unless your says it's okay.
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:05 PM

[quote=bronx6t6;3056766]OK - so hubby has a bad back, and you have a bad crotch
i guess that leaves the dang kids to do it all wrong!

A messy driveway is better than a hemmorhaging Mom

LMAO that is to funny, thanks I needed that today I always get a little depressed when it snows. I ssssoooooooo hate winter, yes I know I live in Alaska, but I still hate winter. Now its just a matter of actually talking the kids into doing it. We'll see!!! Who knows maybe doc will say that its ok if I do it, one can hope

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register