Scheduled TVH November 22 having second thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

November 22 having second thoughts November 22 having second thoughts

Unread 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM
November 22 having second thoughts

Ok, so I am having second thoughts. I am scheduled for the 22nd and I am not currently bleeding. That is why I am scheduled for TVH is because of Dysfunctional bleeding due to annovulation. I am having severe cramping and extreme fatigue, but am currently not bleeding. I don't know what to do. I am so nervous I really think I am just trying to talk myself out of this. I have delt with girly problems since I started when I was 13. ovarian cysts, severe acne, bad bad bad fatigue pms, bleeding like there is no tomorrow. I just thought it so strange to go from bleeding 27 out of 30 days, and now I have been blood free since October 20th minus bleeding heavy for 24 hrs on three different days. We (my gyno and I) have tried bc pills, mirena IUD (very painful), progesterone pills, and most recently the depo shot. I am almost three months out from the shot now. I just wonder IF the shot is actually working??? My gyno told me we have tried everything really and since the bleeding, cramping, and fatigue have become so bad that the next step would be hysterectomy. I have been dealing with the heavy crazy bleeding since December of 2007. Had a tubal in August of 2007 aftr my youngest baby girl was born and have had problems since. Sorry this is so long. If I talk to my husband about it he just says cancel the appt. but, he also doesn't understand what I feel every day. I know some of you wonderful ladies do, that is why I wanted to get an opinion or thought from someone who may actually understand the girl/woman aspect of it. I honestly can't wait on one hand, then on the other I think, WELL MAYBE this is why I stopped bleeding? That way I can stop the surgery. Ya know? The wonderful women on here are the only ppl I have to talk to about this as, The only person that has had a hysterectomy in my family Is either crazy or "too busy for me". I have an aunt with cervical cancer, and aunt "who is too busy for me" and my MO has her uterus but, has had her thyroid removed. I was told by everyone in my family I would have problems because I am a child of the 'DES' sisters? I dont really know what that is either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Re: November 22 having second thoughts

Well, I guess you may have your answer when you have your first period (if I read all that right) after the shot. I'm kinda confused why you're scheduled already when you don't know if this has worked or not, but also realize I don't have all the info. At the end of the day, the decision is yours. I had similar bleeding to yours (stopped for many months), heavy heavy bleeding, clots, etc. I have/had dominant estrogen/low progesterone. We tried the progesterone and it didn't help at all so I opted for the surgery. I have anemia and can't do that again. I hope you get your answers and peace with your decision.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM

I am with you with all the problems I am anemic, have an enlarged uterus from heavy bleeding, adhesions on my right ovary and also endo on that side which is so dang painful, and PCOS. I know this won't solve all of my problems but I know not bleeding anymore has to make me feel somewhat better. I am scared ok terrified, but I can't even hold down a full time job so something has to be done. I am a single parent so I hope it makes me feel better so I can handle the demands of my life. Good luck with your decision it is not easy I am still second guessing all the time I am sure I will until it is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2011, 08:35 PM

TY JustMe,
I am also anemic. Since it has been going on for so long that is why my gyno said we should do the surgery. I didn't really understand it either. I tried the IUD for two months but it was very painful, Couldn't be intimate w/o feeling like it was going to rip me open. Actually now that I think about it, that may be the reason why she said to go through with the surgery. Every time I have sexual intercourse, no O or with O I bleed very very heavy and pass clots afterwards. I have my pre-op appt. on the 16th so I will be able to talk to her more about it then. My DH and I have just pretty much given up on intimacy b/c the pain it causes during and after with the bleeding. IDK. But thank you so so much for your response.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:39 PM

A lot of us have second thoughts and think seriously about canceling. For me I had to remember just because I was having a short reprieve from the pain right before surgery doesn't mean the problem is fixed. The problem was still there. It sounds like you and your doctor made this decision after careful consideration. But if you're having serious doubts maybe you could always postpone your surgery a month to see if your symptoms recurr. Once the surgery is done, there's no going back.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Thank you AmyLynn. I hope you the best. That's sorta how I feel, No bleeding sounds better to me then the possibility of going through this all again. I know what you mean to with trying to care for your children and work going through all this, there is no way it is easy, I feel for you. I don't know about the endo, or PCOS, I know that what ever is going on it is painful. I have always been a bit of a sissy when it comes to anything abdominal. Had a cyst rupture on my right ovary when I was 13, since I have been a bit paranoid.I have had two diagnostic lapro and they found 'scar tissue' once the first one she said things looked great, but that my 'cultysac' was not properly draining fluids? That was when I was 16. I was like ummmmm okay?!
I wish you the best. I will be thinking of you. I have my pre-op on the 16th.
I know that what is ment to happen will happen, but I just question everything. ALL THE TIME.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM

TY sugarandspice.
I keep telling myself, just because it is okay right this moment does not mean tomorrow will be as great. I have still been having the severe cramping, but I guess my body is giving me a break before so I will know what it feels like to NOT bleed 24/7.
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM

crg553,

Second thoughts are not at all uncommon. I too stopped bleeding, the Lupron started working after a couple months but I knew it would come back all to soon. I was considering canceling too. The waiting was difficult.

Even without the bleeding what about the 'severe cramping and extreme fatigue' you're suffering with. What impact does it have on your quality of life? I thought about what it would be like to keep my rebellious uterus for the rest of my life and I knew I was making the right decision. I knew all my options and decided the hyster was right for me. Have you had a second opinion?

and !

Unread 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM

TY!
No no second opinion. Been to so many gyno docs my life. They all pretty much told me there are these set things we can do, once they are done then out with the uterus it is. So, I didn't really need a second opinion. I switched Gynos in 2006 because one told me that he wasn't sure why I was having the pains, Went in and did a diagnostic lapro and removed a huge amount of scar tissue from my c-section, then It got infected and I was in the hospital for a week, He didn't believe that anything was wrong with me. I was like "seriously dude? I am running a 105. fever and there is nothing wrong?" I don't remember most of it, but I know enough that the switch was needed. Never understood why so many gynos are male. They don't get it!!!! lol WRONG PARTS!
Unread 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Ha Ha I so agree only if u are a women can u truely understand!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register