Keep Cervix or Not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep Cervix or Not? Keep Cervix or Not?

Unread 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Keep Cervix or Not?

Hello Ladies,

I need to get a hysterectomy because my body keeps growing fibroids. My doctor wanted to do the surgery last year but I just could not do it. This year when I went for my annual they found 2 new fibroid and the others have grown when they did an ultrasound. My doctor said if I wanted to do the surgery laparoscopic it has to be done now. I will be able to keep one ovary maybe both depending on how it looks when they do the surgery.

Not sure when surgery will be yet, but will be starting the Lupron Depot shot next week. Will be taking it for 3 months then a new ultrasound will be give to see if the fibroids have shrunk. (sure hope it works)

My doctor has given me the choice of keeping my cervix. He said the recovery would be much easier then if they take the cervix.

I was wondering if any one of you who kept there cervix has had any problems and wished they would have had it taken out when they did the hysterectomy?

I do know that with some people they do bleed during the month just like they would have there period, but just a little spotting. I also know I would still need to have the annual pap exam.

Other then that is there anything I should ask my doctor before I make my mind up to keep my cervix or let it go.

Any suggestion would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Re: Keep Cervix or Not?

I had no desire to keep my cervix. It's not like the cervix is a separate organ - it's the bottom of the uterus which is being removed anyway. There is no evidence that keeping the cervix has any medical benefits.

From my reading on the post op boards I find it difficult to believe that having the cervix removed leads to a more complicated recovery. Some women have tougher recoveries than others but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the cervix.

My recovery was very easy and uneventful and I am quite happy to no longer have any hint of a period - mini or otherwise.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Its really a personal preference . I had no choice and honestly I can say im not sure if I would have kept it if I did have a choice. Do some research and I am pretty sure some ladies here will be able to help you with desicion making good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2013, 03:55 PM

it really is personal preference with me i have had questionable paps before so he really didn't give me the option he said it would be best if he took it all. he did leave both ovaries though. he took uterus,cervix and tubes. i would say if you have had normal paps then you may want to keep it, i however had questionable paps in the past so he opted to take everything he also said less chance for cancer that way. you could make the decision to keep it and then when he gets in there he decide to take it. you if you keep it will also have the chance for mini periods as well. i did not want that chance since i ended up in bed for almost the whole month with blood pressure issues.
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Keep Cervix or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieadela View Post
Hello Ladies,

I need to get a hysterectomy because my body keeps growing fibroids. My doctor wanted to do the surgery last year but I just could not do it. This year when I went for my annual they found 2 new fibroid and the others have grown when they did an ultrasound. My doctor said if I wanted to do the surgery laparoscopic it has to be done now. I will be able to keep one ovary maybe both depending on how it looks when they do the surgery.

Not sure when surgery will be yet, but will be starting the Lupron Depot shot next week. Will be taking it for 3 months then a new ultrasound will be give to see if the fibroids have shrunk. (sure hope it works)

My doctor has given me the choice of keeping my cervix. He said the recovery would be much easier then if they take the cervix.

I was wondering if any one of you who kept there cervix has had any problems and wished they would have had it taken out when they did the hysterectomy?

I do know that with some people they do bleed during the month just like they would have there period, but just a little spotting. I also know I would still need to have the annual pap exam.

Other then that is there anything I should ask my doctor before I make my mind up to keep my cervix or let it go.

Any suggestion would be great
Since your cervix is part of your uterus, anything affecting the uterus like fibroids can still happen if you keep your cervix. Benefits of keeping cervix don't seem that strong. So I guess it comes down to personal preference and whether you want the risk of mini periods or more surgery later. People seem happiest after surgery if they are sure they have made the right decision for themselves. Good luck.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM

marieadela,

Thought you might want to hear from someone who kept their cervix. I kept mine for the shorter recovery. Keeping your cervix eliminates the need for a vaginal cuff (stitched up top of your vagina). Vaginal cuffs take, typically, at least six weeks to heal. I had a very easy recovery and was cleared for everything at three weeks.

It's important to have a healthy cervix--no bad paps. The mini periods are experienced by very few women and are usually only slight spotting or staining.

I'm six years post op and have no regrets having kept mu cervix.

Unread 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM

I didn't keep my cervix. I didn't want the risk of cervical cancer down the line and I didn't want any type of period. Also, I had such a problem with fibroids I didn't want to chance that they could grow back on my cervix. My doctor left it totally up to me though. None of this is any easy decision. Good luck.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks to everyone. It is so hard to decide. I do like the fact of the sorter recovery time but do fear of fibroids growing on the cervix.

I go back to the doctors next week and I will talk to him some more.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM

I didnt keep mine - I, too, had issues with fibroids and I also had issues with bad paps and cervical pre-cancer cells - I just felt it was time to let it "all" go I have both ovaries for hormones - and am just 5 days post op and feeling fabulous (even with having the cervix removed).
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM

PattyPat,

My I ask you if you also had a lot of fibroid's and that is the reason for your surgery?

Since it has been 6 years since you had your surgery, do you get the mini periods?

Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register