When did you meet w/anesthesiologist? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you meet w/anesthesiologist? When did you meet w/anesthesiologist?

Unread 10-29-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi

I met him about 5 minutes before I went in to the operating room. Nice guy ( I think) he didn't say much but came in and said hi I am so and so and then he was off.

personal huh.

Betsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2002, 08:32 PM
odd Oregon custom

I had a meeting with an anesthesiologist at my pre-op paperwork festival a week before surgery, but it wasn't the one I got on the day of surgery. That one came in and said hi before any of the IVs got started and I sorta lunged at him with my little list of questions in hand and said I thought I'd been unclear at the previous meeting. Said exactly what I wanted and had him repeat it back to me. He was very cool. Gotta love a guy in a leopard-print surgical cap who plays classical music loudly in the OR. Did a great spinal, too.
Unread 10-30-2002, 09:46 AM
When did you meet w/anesthesiologist?

I met the anesthesiologist just before going into OR. He explained everything to me & asked if I had questions. Nice guy; did a fine job.

If you have concerns & it would help calm your nerves I would give a call to your dr or the castle & see about an appointment. Couldn't hurt!

Best wishes to you!

Mongie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 11:02 AM

I met my anesthesiologist in the holding area before the OR. He was the greatest. I am of the opinion that this is the "norm." I could be wrong....but that's what everyone I know has had happen to them, too.
Unread 10-30-2002, 11:18 AM

Where I live, it's routine to meet with the anesthesiologist at the hospital pre-op, about a week before surgery. As it turned out, there was a different anesthesiologist on duty the day of surgery. Although it was in my chart, I repeated that I am allergic to sulfites (used in some anesthesia drugs), to make sure they used something else.

What I should have also repeated (even though it was in my chart) is that I am allergic to tape. I ended up with permanent scars at the IV site because they did not use non-allergenic tape.
Unread 10-30-2002, 07:19 PM

Hi Emma. I had some concerns due to a bad experience last year coming out of anesthesia during another surgery. The usual procedure is to meet the anesthesiologist just prior to surgery for a quick intro, how ya' doing... and I was not comfortable with that so I called my gyn about two weeks before scheduled surgery and told him I had some questions and did not just want to meet this guy five minutes before he put me under. Within twenty minutes the anesthesiologists called me back and we talked for a good fifteen minutes about my past experience, drug options, epidural versus general. I also went over all the vitamins and herbals I take on a regular basis and he let me know wihich ones to stop taking prior to the surgery. It was great to have peace of mind and to know what the game plan was ahead of time. So, don't be shy about asking for some of the anesthesiologist's time.
Good luck and God Bless!
Unread 10-31-2002, 01:08 AM

HI. I just had my TAH/BSO on 10/23. I did not meet with the anesthesiologist until after being checked into the hospital for surgery and it was about 45 minutes prior to surgery time. He was wonderful and answered all my questions. I had had to be put under before like this and had no bad experience so I wasn't scared.
But as everyone has mentioned...it is your right to know what is going on and I would be calling your doc and requesting a meeting if you are uneasy about anything.
The anesthesiologist also came in later in the afternoon (my surgery was early morning) to see how I was doing. He also visited the following day to make sure that things were going well and if I had any questions regarding my after affects and so forth.
Take care and good luck.

April
Unread 10-31-2002, 05:27 PM

Hi Emma

I wondered about meeting with my anesthesiologist before hand but it was never mentioned by my doctor...and I didn't meet him until I showed up for surgery. He came in and talked to me, got history and made jokes and talked prior to the surgery. Dont sweat it! He will show up!!

Sheri_lp

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register