Swelly Belly! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly! Swelly Belly!

Unread 06-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Swelly Belly!

hi- More swelly belly questions- I had my TAH May 10th- I feel pretty good but my swelly belly is not going away. It continually hangs over the incision. Does anyone know why sometimes it feels like it is getting smaller and other days it feels bigger than before? Is there an average time as to how long it should last? I have been moving around more and am assuming that could be the reason. Any thoughts or experiences are welcome! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Swelly Belly!

I'm 3 mo. out, and still have it. I don't think anyone can tell you when it will go away. I do know that there are several things that cause it: standing too long, sitting too long, too much exercise, etc. It is really a *no win* situation. So, get used to it, wear it proudly, and don't sweat the "small" stuff! I still say it's a small price to pay to be *pain free* and *period free*! Enjoy your new adventure in life! I am soooooo looking forward to my vacation this fall knowing that I don't have to pack pads and tampons, *black* pants, and old panties "just in case"! Life is good! Take care and hopefully our bellies will get better!
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Swelly Belly!

So -
Basically what you ladies are say8ing is that this new found friend of mine is gong to be hanging around for awhile?

What a bummer - but you are right, it's better than pain!

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Swelly Belly!

Its really strange as I havent done anything different. Two days ago flattish tum, yesterday and today swelly tum! No real reason though. Really sticking to a good diet as well. Oh well like is said no more periods or cramping pains to put up with.
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Swelly Belly!

Yes, I am glad to not have the bloating, discomfort, periods, etc as before the surgery. I guess I am just bummed that I go back to work next week and can't wear a bunch of my clothes. I have been given the ok to exercise, which is a great thing as I miss working out. I am trying to take it gradually so I don't hurt or damage anything, but I think the extra moving around may contribute to the swelly belly. Seems like such a Catch 22!
Thanks for the input!
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Swelly Belly!

I have some recent experience that I'm hoping will give others a bit of optimism re swelly belly.

I am 3 months tomorrow, and have noticed a dramatic change for the better re swelly-belly, which began for me at about the 9-to-10 week point. I noticed that it began to not happen nearly as often, and when it did, it didn't get as big or last as long. It's not to say that I never have an occurrence of it anymore, but I certainly don't notice it as much as I used to, and my clothes are fitting much more comfortably throughout the day, every day.

it's enough of a reduction that I truly can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So hang in there!
Unread 06-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Swelly Belly!

has anyone that had the TAH used the swellybelly band? i thought of buying it, but thought by the time i get it i wont need it. 1 week post op.....but what does everyone wear? i havent worn nothing but gowns...etc...and nothing i have fits due to the swelly belly. i thought about going out and buying a few moo moo dresses...LOL whats everyone else doing?
Unread 06-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Swelly Belly!

Hi all,

Swelly Belly suc*s!!
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Swelly Belly!

I had 2 c-sections last one was 12 yrs. ago. I never got rid of the extra skin hanging over the incision. I was a tad over weight but I think that the incision was pulled tighter or no fat accumulation there and so it bulged over. This is not the same as swellybelly is it because, no matter how much weight I lost that little bulge was always there. I had my TAH-BSO on June 6th,2005 and the swelly belly is there only alot worse I exspect for myself that the swelling will go down but until I decide to have a tummy tuck and remove that extra fat accumlated there it will nerver be flat for me again. My sister gained a lot of weight like 80lbs. with her pregnancy and no c-section, she has stretch marks but no hanging flap or skin. It stinks. Not sure if this is the same thing some of you are experinecing or if I am just one of the few who will probably never get rid of the extra flap there with out surgery.

Marty
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Swelly Belly!

My first 3 wks, I wore no underwear and comfy nightshirts that were loose fitting. Got them at WalMart for about $6, and they are just above the knee length. Loved them and nothing was rubbing on my tummy. If I went anywhere, I only wore big T shirts and stretchy pants or capris. I had some dresses that were really big on me before surgery...once in awhile I wear one of those to work now. I look like an orphan when I get here, but they fit lots better by the end of the day! LOL Sure wish I had one of them on right now! My belly is screaming to get out of my pants this afternoon! I agree with B2B2 "Swelly belly suc*s!!"

Take care ya'll!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register