Painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids... Painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids...

Unread 01-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids...

I have had painful periods since I first started having them at age 13 (I'm 34 /12 now). I was first diagnosed with ovarian cysts at age 16. I had my first of many (I've lost count ... at least 12-15) ruptured ovarian cysts at about age 20 or 21. These have been primarily on my right ovary. In 11/1995 I got pregnant but miscarried in 1/96. In 1999, during a laparoscopic appendectomy, my doctor found fibroids in/on (not sure which) my uterus and removed a hydatiform cyst from one of my tubes. My periods have gotten so painful now that this month even percocet did not give enough relief to let me sleep through the first night. During the first couple days, Super Tampax lasts for about 3-4 hours before I've bled through it (sometimes less... yesterday it was less than 2 hours ... and that was on the 5th day of my period!) When the cramping gets really bad, I get sick and throw up.

I see no reason to keep these offending organs in my body. I have been married for almost 2 years to a man who is older than me, has a grown child and has had a vasectomy. Pregnancy/children are not a part of my future. I just cannot take the pain anymore. I am thinking that I want to have a hysterectomy and have my right ovary removed as well. (I do NOT want my left one removed, as I am WAY too young for menopause!)

I've tried acupuncture, herbs, painkillers, massage ... none of it relieves the pain at any significant level. As far using as birth control pills / patch / shots, it has not worked for me for controling my cysts. All it did was mess up my periods even more (more pain and heavy spotting mid-month) and made me feel sick all the time. I know it works for some people, but it hasn't worked for me, and it's not an option I am really very interested in trying again.

For me, most of my cysts are smaller (2-5 centimeters), and they just rupture. I often don't know for sure that I even have a cyst before it ruptures, since I have so much abdominal discomfort all the time. The pain from a ruptured cyst can be excruciating. I end up doubled over in a ball and unable to move, sometimes for hours, and no painkillers that I take by mouth do more than barely touch the pain. I basically have to go to the emergency room and get a shot of something (like Dilaudid). The severe pain can last from a few hours to a couple days. Then I have a few days of a rather high level of discomfort (but not pain, per se) before starting to return to "normal".

I guess my biggest questions are:

Vaginal vs. Abdominal Hysterectomy and Laparoscopic vs Open - pros & cons of each? (I did read the article ... I'd like real-life experiences)

Keep my cervix? What is the benefit to that? Any drawbacks to keeping it?

What can I do to help my pain levels in the meantime?

I also have problems with my bladder control (started in about 3rd grade), so I am interested in getting that fixed/improved as well. I've done kiegels for years with no real improvement. Has anyone had a bladder repair done with their hyst?

Also ... has anyone had a tummy tuck with their hyst? I'm interesed in this as well. Was it very painful? Was it worth it?

I have an appointment with the OB/GYN on the 24th, and I will be bringing up all of this with him at that time. I'd just like to go in there with as much information as possible.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids...

Hi Curveylady,

I had a laparoscopic hyst for two large fibroids. I got two opinions. My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) due to the size of my fibroids and my 2nd Dr. suggested a LSH.

I opted for the 2nd surgery type, a less invasive hyst. A LSH generally requires less post-op time and today, I just have two small hip scars as a reminder of the surgery.

I am also glad I was able to keep my cervix. To be a candidate, I had to have had normal pap smears for years and a sturdy cervix. My Dr. also felt the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst to prevent a mini-period in post-op. If one or both ovaries and the cervix are retained after a hyst, there is a chance of a mini-period.

Here is a H.S. link that goes over the ~different ~ types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

At any given time, you will find Hysters Sisters who have had a bladder sling an/or a tummy tuck with a hyst. Hope they can answer your questions.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register