2nd thoughts due to too much research | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd thoughts due to too much research 2nd thoughts due to too much research

Unread 02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
2nd thoughts due to too much research

Ok, so I did way too much research on pelvic pain, adhesions/scar tissue, appendicitis, etc. I'm due for this laparoscopic surgery next week, and I think I've scared myself even more than I was. I've read that most of the time a surgeon does laparoscopic, that they don't really find the problem. Then I read where it could be psychological pain. I know it's not all in my head. What if he can't find anything? Has that ever happened to anyone? He know's I'm not seeking drugs, because I don't like taking narcotics around my kids, or any other time for that matter. Can't stand the hazy feeling and the nausea I get. Anyway, if he doesn't find anything, does that mean it doesn't really exist? I KNOW IT EXISTS! I so need to just calm down, have the lap, and wait for him to tell me what is going on. He thinks it's scar tissue. I just hope he figures it out, because I can't live this way for the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM

Tara -

It's not in your head. The internet does give us too much info sometimes. I'm just going to think positive thoughts for you that your Dr is one of the ones whoe does figure it out and that your pain can be easily fixed as a result.

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM

I don't know if this will help or not but I just had my TAH on 2/21 and happened to mention to the Dr. that I always felt pain in my lower right side. I asked if he could take a look there during the surgery and tell me if there was a cause. Sure enough, afterwards, he told me I had a lot of scar tissue in that area from a tubal ligation and ovarian cyst removal I had 10 years earlier! Mystery finally solved. Once my recovery period is over, I won't miss that nagging "mystery" pain I carried around all those years! Irony is, I saw many doctors over the years who could never diagnose that pain until one finally looked under the hood.

I know these decisions are difficult. I will send positive thoughts your way that you can make the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2008, 09:58 PM

you should not worry at all. If you feel pain, you are having pain. The internet can just be a source of stress anyway. it can also be very helpful, too, on the other hand. I know for me it was.

I can relate to bellaluna.... I had my hyster scheduled, but I also had pain all month long in my abdomen. I first told my doctor and he said that it's probably just the issues in my uterus radiating all month long. But, then I started to do some research and decided that what if there is someting MORE than just my uterus causing pain. So, i went back to the doctor and I requested a CT Scan. He was fine with that because I pretty much told him I wanted it no matter what. I really wanted to see if there was anything else going on in my abdomen before my surgery so they could take care of anythign else.

Well, guess what... they discovered through the CT that my appendix was inflammed, and my doctor was somewhat surprised and he said he'd definitely take it out. So, I did research on appendicitis before my surgery (after I knew about my appendix), and what I was feeling all month long pointed to appendicitis!! Well, I had my hyster, and they took out my appendix, and the path report came back. We all thought my appendix was just inflammed. But, the path report showed I actually DID have appendicitis! I was NOT dreaming up this month long pain, but at first my doc was just saying it was my uterus. But, my gut feeling told me it was more than my uterus.

I'm SO glad I pushed all of this, because if I had not not requested the CT, and my surgeon had not looked at my appendix while he was in there during surgery, i would without a doubt be back in surgery sometime in the near future... not only that, I'd recover (which I'm not fully recovered yet), and still have pain because of the appendix.

So, if your gut is saying somethign is wrong, follow your instincts. :-) I don't know if CT Scans show scar tissue, but I know mine showed my something was wrong with my appendix. I wonder if you could request someting like a CT or another type of scan before the lap just to put your mind at ease?

hang in there... they'll figure it out!!
Unread 02-29-2008, 01:40 AM

You will read a lot more negative than positive out there! I did so much research my dh asked if I was doing the surgery myself.....

Be sure to address all your questions/concerns with your dr. That's what he's getting paid for!
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Laparascopic is so much easier to recover from, that in my mind it makes sense to see if he can find the problem laparscopically. If he can't you can then think about opensurgery...
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:01 AM

(((Tara)))
I can relate to your feelings. After years of many tests, pain meds, and more surgery I finally convinced my doctor to do a lap to look for adhesions. I was very hopeful that he would find the problem and my pain would go I was so certain that my pain had to be from adhesions, especially as most of my previous surgical reports indicated adhesions.

Unfortunately the doctor found nothing I was devastated to say the least. I know most would say I should've been happy as I did not some life threatening tumor or other things. But I was back to square one, in pain and struggling for answers. So yes, it does happen.

Hang in there, even if the doctor does not find anything, it does not mean that you're crazy or that the pain doesn't exist, it means that there may be other causes for it.

Has your doctor done any tests to look for other causes for your ongoing pain?

I would like to comment that a lap is still surgery. While not as invasive as an open surgery, that does not mean that one will be up and bounding about the next day. It's been my experience that each additional surgery, lap or otherwise, takes me longer to recover from. Recovery time also depends on how much work the doctor has to do during the surgery.

in there Tara! I will be praying for good results and painfree days and nights for you.
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Sometimes it's not good to have so much information readily accessible, is it? I like to do my research too, and I almost always end up having second thoughts. In fact, if I am not mistaken, when I was preparing for my TVH and I was watching the internet surgery videos and freaking out, I think you were the one Sweetbeetle who calmed me down and told me it wasn't that bad.

I don't know about most of the time the surgeon not being able to find the problem with laparoscopy. I've had laparoscopic surgery twice and both times they found a problem. But, I do know what you are saying about wanting a cause and a cure for your pain. In my case, it's not that I'm hoping they find a problem, but if there is a problem, then I feel a certain legitimacy to the pain.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If there is a cause, they will most likely find it. As others have said, they may even see something else going on -- I know that's happened to me. Don't let it get you down. I hope everything turns out okay for you.
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm quite the popular person today. LOL First my gyn called to say my primary wants me in his office as soon as possible. Surgery is delayed a little due to the fact that I'm on coumadin, and will have to have daily levels done to make sure it's safe for surgery.

My primary's office called immediatly after my gyn called. My appointment with him is not until next Thursday. I have to say, in a way I'm relieved that it's being pushed back a little.

[quote=CAmich] In fact, if I am not mistaken, when I was preparing for my TVH and I was watching the internet surgery videos and freaking out, I think you were the one Sweetbeetle who calmed me down and told me it wasn't that bad. [quote]

That most likely was me. I don't practice what I preach apparently. LOL I think the main thing that really has me freaking out, is the PE I had after the hyst. I have been promised though that both doctors will do whatever is in their powers to make sure that does not happen again.

[quote=Kim M]Has your doctor done any tests to look for other causes for your ongoing pain?[quote]

When I was talking to the girl at my primary's office, I asked her if I will be able to request a CT of my pelvis before I allow anyone to poke a bunch of holes in me to look around, and she laughed and said that he will probably order more than that. My gyn is basically leaving those tests to my primary, seeing as that our first theory of a cyst was ruled out. They are wanting to make sure that the pain is something that my gyn is allowed to handle I guess. The pain radiates to my hip at times, so they want that checked as well as my back, etc.

I have to say, I'm so happy with both doctors. They are wanting to rule out anything and everything before they go throwing me under the knife.

I was offered pain meds, but I don't like them. The gyn made me promise that I will call him if something is needed. I won't. I never do. Tylenol and a heating pad take the edge off when it does get bad. I hate not being in control, and that's exactly what narcotics do to me.

Soooooo, maybe the tests that my primary will do will show what is wrong, then I won't be so freaked out if I do have to have the surgery. I'll let you know as soon as I know!
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM

i recently heard that a friend of a friend suffered from chronic pain to discover after hyster for suspected adeno or endo...can't remember which....that she had a hip fracture...we're talking about a young woman, too...maybe early 30's. Don't give up until you get some satisfactory answers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register