New member | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Aug 13 H day

Hi, I am scheduled to have laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy which they will be using a robotic next week on Aug. 13, 2008. Reason being symptomantic menorrhagia. I had cryoblation last October which unfortunately failed. That was the first procedure I had ever had. Now I am having this done. I don't know what to expect for the recovery after. Has anyone experience this kind of surgery?

MaryAnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm not familiar with that procedure, but I wanted to say hi and welcome. Everyone here is so wonderful!! Good luck with your procedure next week!
Unread 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you Amanda, a little nervous not knowing what to expect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Hi MaryAnn,

I had my 1 week post op appt for my laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. I had the procedure due to menorrhagia. The post op testing of my uterus showed that I had adenomyosis.

All I can say is I am so glad I did this and wish I would have done it sooner. I feel so much healthier and happier. I am so glad I did my homework and found a leader in minimally invasive surgery in our area. It was lucky I found him when I did b/c he is moving to AZ next month. He really was a godsend.

I have had no real pain to speak of. It is surgery and you do have to take it slow and stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain medicine before you feel pain and rest when you feel like resting. I only had to be on Vicadin for 2 days and then I was able to switch to motrin for the minor aches and pains. It still helps me to sleep if I take the motrin at bedtime.

I was up walking around the ward the night of my surgery. I think by 10pm. The times are kind of foggy. I took a couple of walks with the nurse and then I did a couple of laps on my own. Before I could be released from the hospital I had to be able to urinate and make sure the digestive tract is working again by passing gas. Once this was accomplished I was ready to go. I was released at 8:00am the next morning. When the doctor came in the following morning to check me out of the hospital I told him how surprised I was that I had so little pain. He said yes that's the advantage to the mininmally invasive surgeries.

I had the procedure on Thursday at 1:00pm and was driving my kids around again by the following Monday. I did have to take it slow and easy. Didn't run any marathons but I got around. I used a tummy pillow while driving up until today. Today I don't even feel like I had surgery.

I think the keys to a quick recovery for me were the things I learned from this website. Walking as much as possible, drinking lots and lots of water. staying ahead of the pain with the pain medicine, taking Gas-X and the stool softeners, resting when you feel like resting, and letting people know when you need help. Also I think a very important thing is to find someone who is very experienced with the procedure.

I wish you the best of luck with your procedure!
Unread 08-08-2008, 03:30 PM

oh yeah and another thing I think really helped me with the problem of the excess air in the system post op was rocking with a tummy pillow for some reason that was so soothing and the movement kept the air from building up. I didn't have the pain in the shoulders like I heard a lot people talk about from that.

My husband was so great he went out and got me the most comfy rocking recliner before my surgery. You really just melt into it.

I really think the movement of that and reclining instead of laying flat really helped with my recovery.
Unread 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Hi Maryanngulla,

I also had a LSH. It is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health. My hyst gave me back my quality of life. I hope you have similar results.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Welcome to HS site. You will find answers to your questions and advice. I am not familar with your procedure, but I wanted to wish you well.
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Hi Mary Ann!

I will be having a different type of hysterectomy, but I will be thinking about you!
Welcome to this site - I am new too and I find it GREAT!
Take care,

Glenda
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:31 PM

i had an lsh too. my recovery was very easy and aside from the first two days being painful from the gas...its been the best thing i could have done for my health. i was happy to be able to keep my healthy cervix and ovaries...i continue to ovulate every month and feel great. i hope everything goes smoothly for you..good luck!
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM

I had an LSH (no robotics) in 2006. It was a piece of cake. Truly. I checked in to the hospital at 7AM. Wheeled toward surgery at 8:45AM and I was "out" before we hit the elevator.

I woke up in recovery at 11:10AM and was in my room by noon. Then back out of my room for a CAT Scan, my Dr. saw something on my liver which turned out to be a benign cyst. I was eating a snack of cheese and crackers by 3PM and walking and using my bathroom by 4PM (my cath came out in the recovery room).

I took half a dose of pain meds (Oxicondone) and twice the normal interval for the first 3 or so days.

I checked out of the hospital the next day at 2PM (could have gone home earlier in the day, but my Dr. told me to stay for lunch as they would charge for it anyway...she also told me that she would approve a second night if I wanted to stay. NO WAY! I slept better at home, even though I had a private room and there were only two of us in the wing I was in. There is still too much noise.

Like dressedupinpurple, I too kept my ovaries and cervix. I too ovulate each month and know when that happens and I can tell, by the way I feel, when I would have had my period. I have weird dreams and, well, get the runs for a few days....that tells me exactly where I would have been had I still had periods. LOL!

Beauty is, no periods, no pain, no hemorraging, no missing things. Since surgery I have been to Argentina and Chile and in a few weeks I will head to Italy. The beauty of that.....NO TAMPONS need go with me....no need to worry that I will be confined to my accommodations.

LSH ROCKS!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register