Just home from surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just home from surgery Just home from surgery

Unread 04-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Just home from surgery

Had surgery afternoon of 4/13. Robotic assisted LAVH w/bilateral salpingoophorectomy...basically everything gone! I'm 55 but not thru menopause and never had any symptoms or a hot flash in my life. Sailed thru surgery, not much pain. Came home the next day...a little pain but not bad. Took tylenol. Worst of it is constipation and really bad gas pains. Trying to walk around a bit. Kind of fearing what comes next...not seeing dr. for one month and no plans of any HRT. I'm in a wait and see mode I guess????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Re: Just home from surgery

Welcome . Glad to hear that everything went so well with your surgery. Now is the time to take it easy and please accept all of the pampering that is offered. Have you looked at the "Hysterectomy Checkpoints" on the top left of this page. They were so helpful to me. As far as gas pains....maybe try gas-x. Many women here have found relief with it.Also lots of water and walking helps. The constipation can be miserable. Did your doctor suggest stool softeners? I ended up using Miralax for some time. It is gentle but maybe call your doc office. They have heard every question you can imagine. Any other questions....ask away! Happy healing!
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks, just saw your reply since I'm not too good at figuring this all out! I was prescribed stool softeners and I'm doing better with all that...not completely normal, but doing OK. Thanks for the advice. I'm still wondering when the 'hot flashes' might start....one week tomorrow for my surgery and nothing yet! I'll check out the 'Checkpoints" because it is hard to know if i'm doing too much or not enough! It will be one week tomorrow for me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Sounds like you are doing pretty good! I don't know anything about the menopause symptoms, I kept my ovaries. This site can be overwhelming at first. Go on the top right of this page & click on FORUMS. I think there is a menopause area you can ck out. Best wishes and keep me updated or if you have any questions.
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Just to let you know I'm 2 weeks 4 days post op. They took everything. Overies etc.... I'm 37 and still have had no menopause symptoms and not on hrt yet. Due to hbp so doc wanted to wait a few more weeks since I have no symptoms. I was wondering when it would start as well....
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks...I'll keep you posted. Guess I'll wait until I have a problem and then start reading up...I'll be 55 this month, so have to believe my ovaries MUST have been partially shutting down before they were taken out. Never had a hot flash before, so I'm not sure what I'm in for...not too many women that I've seen on this site had a hysterectomy at 55 NOT HAVING already gone through menopause. Anyone with any advice about hormones or replacement (don't even know if it's called replacement at age 55!)....let me know!
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM

I am 54 and was not in menopause. The Dr. said one ovary was shut down. I didn't have any hot flashes or night sweats until my third week after the TAH/BSO. My body is in great transition and I am waiting until a June 1st appt. with my regular Dr. to see if I need anything. I can't have HRT because of blood clots I had and breast cancer in family. I had night sweats for two weeks after a breast surgery I had in Dec. 2009 and then they quit. My family Dr. said he has success treating with real low doses of antidepressants to stop hot flashes and night sweats. I am on Coumadin so I don't do herbals. I have read that they slowly get less frequent. I still feel so much better without the bleeding, the huge uterus, and the fibroids.
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Today has been a week since my surgery and doing okay. Resting, walking and definitely taking it easy. I had a few hot flushes in the hospital but none since then. I am 55 and was in perimenopause when I had my TAH/BSO and the doctor doesn't seem to think I'll feel anything drastic and I was having some menopausal symptoms already, so I'm hoping she is right. I don't want to go on any HRT if not needed. If anything, I am glad I am all cleaned out.
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks for your input...I'm right with you mcds78...one week out and so far so good. I don't want to go on anything either, but am wondering what will happen. I haven't had many symptoms, but def. was not thru menopause before my surgery. I guess I can always see my regular dr. if things get worse...my surgeon was kind of like, 'oh you'll be just fine'. I guess I'll keep a positive attitude. I don't have my 1st preop ck until one month.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register