NewBie Hear To upcoming Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

NewBie Hear To upcoming Hysterectomy NewBie Hear To upcoming Hysterectomy

Unread 11-16-2014, 05:32 PM
NewBie Hear To upcoming Hysterectomy

I will have a hysterectomy in up coming Dec. I will be having the Da Vinchi and Im scared to death. I am overweight so I was surprised when they wanted to do this but I had two C-sections and gallbladder surgery so I guess my Dr thought this would be the best way. All info would be appreciated. What to expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Re: NewBie Hear To upcoming Hysterectomy

I had the daVinci last Monday. What are your specific questions?
Unread 11-16-2014, 06:21 PM

I found that the robotic is preferred for overweight women - guess it makes it easier for the doctor. I had 5 incisions and no problems. My doctor released as much CO2 before he closed to eliminate the shoulder pain that often will happen. I had none at all. In fact, I had no intestinal gas pain either. Some doctors seem to prefer bowel cleansing or liquid diet the day before but seems most do not. Mine did not. He only asked that once I got my surgical time (the day before) to stop eating 12 hours before surgery, no liquids after midnight.

I did watch a video of a robotic surgery before. I had some questions to ask him about whether he did things the same way or different at our pre-op.

The worst pain I had was the night of surgery the small of my back hurt horribly that pain meds did not help. I finally changed the bed positioning until it stopped. Then about week 3 it started in again for about 4 days. Doctor said it was due to the position we are put in for surgery. I am sway back so flattening my lower back during surgery took its toll I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM

I guess everything. How long does it take? What to expect? When can you come home?
Unread 11-18-2014, 07:10 AM

[quote=charlotteel;4495253]I found that the robotic is preferred for overweight women - guess it makes it easier for the doctor. I had 5 incisions and no problems. My doctor released as much CO2 before he closed to eliminate the shoulder pain that often will happen. I had none at all. In fact, I had no intestinal gas pain either. Some doctors seem to prefer bowel cleansing or liquid diet the day before but seems most do not. Mine did not. He only asked that once I got my surgical time (the day before) to stop eating 12 hours before surgery, no liquids after midnight.

I did watch a video of a robotic surgery before. I had some questions to ask him about whether he did things the same way or different at our pre-op.

The worst pain I had was the night of surgery the small of my back hurt horribly that pain meds did not help. I finally changed the bed positioning until it stopped. Then about week 3 it started in again for about 4 days. Doctor said it was due to the position we are put in for surgery. I am sway back so flattening my lower back during surgery took its toll I guess.[/

Thank you for responding to me. How long where you in the hospital? They told me 23 hours.
Unread 11-18-2014, 07:53 AM

I was in the hospital overnight. They say 23 hours so the insurance company can't charge you for a whole day. I had my surgery at 1 and was home the next afternoon. I had a spinal pain injection along with my general anesthesia which helped greatly. I didn't have much pain until that wore off the next day. Then I took Percocet and Motrin for a day or two. Now I'm just on alternating Motrin and Tylenol. My actual surgery took about two hours. I have 4 incisions that are about an inch long. But they don't hurt. They actually look really good. I was lightheaded during my first walk around the hospital but the next time I got up I was fine. I had a lot of trouble peeing the next day after they took my catheter out but that was remedied quickly. I had to have another catheter put in to relieve the pressure and then I was fine. I recommend stool softeners and maybe milk of magnesia. Constipation is common after surgery. All in all it went better than I expected. If you have any other specific questions let me know! And good luck!!!
Unread 11-19-2014, 12:32 AM

My surgery took about 3 1/2 hours. He thought 2 going in but I had a mess of scar tissue from infertility surgeries in 1974 and 1975. It took him an hour just to find and cut loose my right ovary. The left was not much better and my bowel was attached to my uterus. I went in at 9:30. I don't remember waking up in recovery even though my OR report says I was woke up in the OR when they replaced the catheter after putting the dye into my bladder to check it and I woke up and answered them in recovery. I only remember waking up in my room. I mostly slept the evening and night away. They didn't make me get up and walk because the cath drained into a hard plastic container that was attached to the bed. They really did not bother me except to check/changed the IV, put the IV drugs in, and when I called them to get me some food out of the frig or tighten the leg compressions which would loosen up when I moved. It was the maternity ward - the first nurse I remember said something like: you have no packing, not sure what we are to do.

I left around noon after getting the catheter out and taking a shower.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register