surgery dilemma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery dilemma surgery dilemma

Unread 05-30-2005, 09:28 AM
surgery dilemma

Thank you all for responding. I think what is bothering me the most is that I really didn't have any major horrible problems like so many others have described. In the past year my periods had gotten very erratic and it was painful the first day or so. I assumed it was menopause starting. I am 51. The last period I had was very painful and woke me up for three nights in a row, and kept me up. That's why I went to the Dr. Normally I would have thought nothing of it, and never bothered the Dr. with that. He did an ultrasound and said I had some cysts and he thought endometriosis. He did a Laparoscopy and said he would clean it out if it was minor. He found the endometriosis all over and said there was too much, and also I had a fibroid, I can't remember if he said there was more than one, in my uterus. He recommended a TAH with tubes and ovaries also taken out. I was so shocked, it was the last thing I expected. This always happens to other people, not to me. So, I agreed to do it because I figured he knew what he was talking about. My husband and I have a big trip planned in October, which will require me to be in good health, and I thought the earlier I did this, the better I would be. Also, because my daughter would be here to help me. If I delay it, she wouldn't be here. Now, I just go back and forth about if I really should do this or not. I feel ok, but would my symtoms get worse if I don't have the surgery? It is such a drastic operation. If the trip wasn't planned would I have agreed so easily? I am sure I will go through with it, I just wish I didn't have all these mixed feelings. In the past week my father-in-law passed away and we just returned from flying him to his home state to be buried, and my daughter got gastro-enteritis, so obviously, I am kind of in an emotional state. Normally, I never would have even told my story, I would just have been reading everyone elses posts. My husband is very supportive, I just hate to keep whining about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
surgery dilemma

I'm 52 so I can relate to your problems. I didn't realize the endo and fibroids had gotten so bad until I went in for my yearly. The fibroids can grown to the point that the doctor had a difficult time finding my uterus for my pap. The pain I was having was bad, but I never put 2 and 2 together. He asked if I would have a hysterectomy and I asked him if the pain would go away and he said yes so I said OKAY!!!!!!!. My surgery was 04/26 and my son is getting married 6/11; my problem? I bought the dress before surgery and now I'm not so sure I can wear it because of my belly. BUT, it was worth it. I've had no pain and not period and my headaches are gone. Was it worth it? YOU BET!!!!!!! Recovery is different for everyone; you could be just fine by October and your trip. I had vacation planned for July, but I cancelled it; husband understands; this surgery was more important. I don';t know if I helped you or not. If your trip can be cancelled or pushed later, maybe you might want to do that. On the other hand, you may be just fine. Keep a positive attitude and that always helps. I feel almost normal again. I'm 80% better than the day I came home from the hospital. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.
Unread 05-30-2005, 10:32 AM
surgery dilemma

Hi Clancey,

I do not think you are whining at all. Debating about what to do is pretty healthy, in my opinion.

Have you considered seeing another doctor to get a second opinion? You can get copies of your medical records, especially any test results and the surgical report from your laproscopy for the second doctor to review.

I didn't have much of a problem deciding because my symptoms were heavy bleeding, near constant pain, and my fibroids were many and fast growing. Each of us has our unique set of signs and symptoms, though, so seeking that second opinion if you are unsure can be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 11:16 AM
surgery dilemma

Clancey;

By no means are you whining. I too had no symptoms until recently. After two months went to the doc and was given and ultra sound. Which proved nothing. It was normal. He sent me to an OB/GYN who performed a Lap and Cystoscopy. My diagnosis is in my signature.

Not every one has symptoms. And when they find out something is wrong it is a shock because they have no symptoms.

Be thankful you weren't having symptoms like many others. And be thankful you are getting the care needed to help with the problems.

Ces.
Unread 05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
surgery dilemma

clancey,
I also only have pain a few days each month. I have endo/adeno and I am having a TAH/BSO on June 16. I've been scared that the "fix" will be worse than the problem itself since my symptoms are not that bad.
I finally decided to go through with the surgery because I know that the endo will only get worse over time. There are so many women who go through lots of surgeries/treatments and then still end up having a hysterectomy.
Now that is just my personal way of thinking. It is a very hard decision and I went through a time where I felt like I should just wait until the pain got to be unbearable, but I felt like I was just prolonging the inevitable.
My husband and I also have a trip scheduled for the first week in October. I am hoping that I will be feeling good and somewhat back to normal by then.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide. You are not whining. It is normal to feel confused. I went back and forth for a while (and alot of tears) about whether to have the surgery or not.
Best wishes,
Cheryl
Unread 05-31-2005, 12:21 AM
surgery dilemma

Hi sisters,
I have been in a lot of pain for a couple of years now and been living on pain meds. I figure the pain that I have after the surgery will not be any worse than the pain I have now(up to 3 Darvocets a day to function) The *biggest* difference in the pain now and the pain then will be that it is a *healing pain* not to mention getting better every week instead of staying the same or getting worse each week. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am looking forward to the pain but I am looking forward to feeling better and the only way to do that is to go through the *pain* of healing.

and to all of us. Keep talking, it helps!!!
Debbie
Unread 05-31-2005, 06:37 AM
don't rush

Clancy,
I was also 51 when the hysterectomy was first brought up to me as an option. But the ob/gyn said we needed to try lots of other things first. There are possible complications from the surgery and it would not be wise to go into this without a lot of research. You need to be very comfortable with your decision before surgery. My ob/gyn said it was NOT an emergency and I could wait as long as I wanted before doing this.

Fibroids alone are not a reason to have a hysterectomy unless they are causing intolerable symptoms. They will shrink with menopause-at least some. They can also shrink with other treatments. I waited 3 years (for menopause) before my Hysterectomy, until it was intolerable, I was in constant pain, and everything prolapsed, and I was still not in menopause. So at least I knew it was the right decision. And I had 10 fibroids.

If you go up and Click on Hysterectomy Information above the purple menu bar on any page, it will take you to some sections of information. One is about Options and Alternatives for endo and fibroids, etc. At least you will know more.

No matter what anyone says, there are no guarantees that this surgery won't change your life-it could be wonderful, alleviate your symptoms, but it could also change your sex life, your libido, and not solve your initial problems.

I don't want to scare you, but just want you to not feel pressured into this decision. It can be done at any time. My doc told me I could cancel anytime up until the final dose of anesthetic no matter what I signed before that.

I cancelled mine once to get another opinion and was really glad I did because the second doctor also found a rectal prolapse and was an excellent surgeon.

Unread 05-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Surgery Dilemma

I am on day four after a LAVH/BSO.....I had MORE pain with my periods. I feel great. I was home at 5:30 PM the day of my surgery. If I had realized how easy everything would be, I would have done it sooner. I only took a 1/2 dose of the Lortab not because I felt I needed it but because I wanted to avoid the pain getting ahead of me. I have been taking it easy, but since my surgery on Friday, I went grocery shopping with my husband on Sunday along with walking about 1/2 mile around our neighborhood. My doctor told me just to take it easy, but don't sit around. Your recovery is more determined by your pre-op health and stamina than anything. My sister had the same procedure but with totally different recovery as she is about 150 lbs. overweight and very inactive. Good luck and keep a positive attitude!!!
Jackie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register