Going back to work question for sisters 8+ weeks TAH post-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work question for sisters 8+ weeks TAH post-op Going back to work question for sisters 8+ weeks TAH post-op

Unread 02-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Going back to work question for sisters 8+ weeks TAH post-op

Thank you ALL my sisters for your personal sharing.

Today was the first day back on the job. Even working from home today, now at night I know I am tired, but I can't sleep. I am trying to wean myself off of the Ambian, but without it - I can't get to sleep. I hope to regulate my insomnia issue this week.

It didn't help that I took advantage of "jumping" on going through some emails (I have over 3 thousand of them during my disability) that I need to deal with this week). I was up all through the night last night. Worked until about 5:30 a.m. - so I had already put in 10 hours for work.

During the day today, I attended a conference call, reviewed some work, did performance reviews of my staff and processed some database changes.

I am sore again. Physically, my lower abdomen is sore. I have such an issue with sitting for long periods of time, and when I get in front of the computer both home and for work, I forget to take physical breaks and stretch, walk around - and I realize I need to do that only after I start to hurt.

I just feel so overwhelmed, because I am the only person working and supporting my household, I have a full time job, plus I run a part time eBay business. Plus I have a daughter in college, and you know how that is - she has me either physicall or mentally busy or stressed.

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my friends out here on the Hystersister forum. You have all been wonderful and I thank each of you, truly.

At 8 weeks plus post op, I am still having issues achieving the old "O", they say that will get better. I hope so. My 25th wedding anniversary is December this year, and I want to be able to celebrate, you know what I mean ladies.

I think the discomfort in my incision area and my stomach area muscles is aggravated by being "fluffy" as they call it. Weight baring on the incision line, stressing and pulling skin and muscle inside.

I have been having off and on over the past 6 months very strong chest pains that last appx 20 minutes. EKG came out clear, but I have just recently had an echo and a nuclear stress test to rule out any possible blockages. I see a cardiologist tomorrow to get the results. I fear the results because the last 6 months have been horrible for me health wise. I have been through hell.

I had Pneumonia in Aug of 2005, Oct/Nov time frame I was out again for a couple weeks with heavy menstrual bleeding for an entire two weeks, and then had my full TAH on Dec 9th. Now I wonder what else is wrong with me.

If my cardio work up comes out clear, I have no choice but to take on some major challenges with my body and health this year with strict diet and start exercise. I have had knee surgery a few years back, and I think I hurt my knee during the stress test. Knee is sore this week.

Yikes, listen to me complain - I feel so old. Falling apart LOL

What would I do without this forum. My friends out ther have been a Godsend.

This forum is a friend, a sharing, a venting, a place to run with fear, a place to share victory and relief. I am sure you could name several other words to describe what this forum represents.

It's just that at this juncture in my life, at 8 weeks post op, I should be feeling great and was hoping to be bouncing with energy, and instead, I can't sleep, fatigue jumps on me like a wild couger when you least expect it, and things I normally took in my stride before - so I thought, I find overwhelming now. I hope it gets better.

Maybe I am just realizing all I am responsible for, some things are my own fault for taking on too much.

Sorry for the long winded note. Luv you folks out here.

I think that the sisters that were able to go back to work 2 weeks later are the sisters that had the TVH and not the TAH-BSO. Vaginal incision is easier and quicker on the healing process, generally - as compared to a 10 inch incision across your lower belly. I now know what abdominal surgery is like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2006, 10:38 AM

Hi all I was supposed to go back to work this next week. I am 7 weeks post op. Saw dr. yesterday and he said I have 2 hematoma's no work and no sex for 2 weeks. They gave me from work off till march 9, I am so frustrated that i can't work but my job is heavy lifting on feet all day. I don't know why it is taking me so long to heal?
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Darend, it sounds as if you have had a really hard year!
In spite of all that, it actually sounds as if your surgery recovery is right on track. The fatigue is really normal at this point. And I should probably keep my mouth zipped and not mention that staying up until 5:30am doing email would make anyone tired!
I can tell you that when I returned to work after 8 weeks, I found it very difficult to sit at the computer all day. It sounds easy, but the physical act of sitting up is harder than you would expect.

And to be perfectly honest, my first day back I was so exhausted by 2pm that I realized I HAD TO take a nap. I don't know if I really fooled anybody, but there was a corporate meeting I had missed that had been videotaped and was available online that I pretended to watch. Luckily I have a high backed chair. I started the video, leaned back, and closed my eyes for an hour! (dont tell anyone, lol).

For the first week, I worked slightly short days, to ease into things. That helped a lot.

Good luck with the chest pain. It's certainly important to check it out. Hopefully it is something easily treatable.

One more piece of advice that I can't help repeating. Once the cardiologist (and the orthopedist) clears you for exercise, start GRADUALLY. Have you been walking? That's really the best to start with. You sound motivated, so I don't want you to jump in and overdo.

When I first went back to work I decided I had to pretend I was a smoker...just to have an excuse to take a few breaks during the day. I would go out and walk around the block.

Good luck.
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Darend,
I went back to work at 6 weeks. I worked 4 days the first week, 3 days the 2nd week, and then took a week of vacation. I am happy to say that I now finally feel my normal pre-surgery (in fact, better than pre-surgery) energy levels. It took just at 3 months to get to that point. Up until then, I was constantly suprised by the level of fatigue I was experiencing. It seemed to get better every week, and then one day I realized I wasn't tired anymore. I didn't have any sleep problems. I couldn't sleep for more than an hour at a time for about 2 years pre-surgery, so I feel like post surgery I was sleeping like a baby.

Good luck going back to work. It sounds like you are being smart and taking it slow. Don't expect too much of yourself at first. I don't know about you, but my co-workers expected me to pick up right where I left off. I had to gently help them adjust their expectations!
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:25 PM

I am just 6 weeks and have been back to work since week two. I have never had an issue of tiredness. I have arrived home and gone horizontal and been very sore but I have moved forward. I have done no lifting beyond my laptop but I was bored silly. I have no children and I needed the stimulation from my business to keep me moving. I am a princess but needed to get a grip on regular life. Keep moving all..gently!!

Lthootie
Unread 02-07-2006, 08:40 PM

PS I am on Estratest HS and Cenestian .45 This is my third round of HRT and my 2nd week on this combo. So far so good. I probably shouldn't say this but my sleep habits have been pretty good!!! I hope I haven't jinxed myself...Good luck All

Lthootie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register