TAH 16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better? 16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better?

Unread 05-29-2016, 10:30 AM
16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better?

My doctor said I'm over doing it! I'm having this burning pulling sensation on 1 side of my incision. Last 2 days I've spotting brown, which I've heard is normal, I'm back on heavy pain pills to get relief through out my day...... Belly band seems to offer support , when will I feel like myself again?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Re: 16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better?

No one knows exactly when they will,feel,better. Everyone heals differently. If the doc said you overdid it, then you should be relaxing and walking only, nothing else. I used a warm heating pad and ice pack to help,with the pain. I am not sure why you would be spotting with a Tah. I didn't spot after day one. However, it could be normal and I was one of the lucky ones. I think if you are still in a lot of pain, then something else may be going on and should be seen by a doc.
Unread 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Even with a TAH, you have stitches across the top of your vagina, i.e., the vaginal cuff. If you're doing things that don't allow the cuff to heal, you're going to have spotting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2016, 03:19 PM

You are still early in your recovery. You will have days in your recovery during weeks 3-4 where you will feel somewhat normal, but just remember you are still healing and try not to overdo it. It will feel like three steps forward and two steps back. At least you are still moving forward. If you are spotting it is fine. My doc had said that I can expect to spot until my cuff stitches completely dissolve which could be into week 8-9 for me. I have been noticing less spotting.

Things do get better each week.
Unread 05-29-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedwards69 View Post
My doctor said I'm over doing it! I'm having this burning pulling sensation on 1 side of my incision. Last 2 days I've spotting brown, which I've heard is normal, I'm back on heavy pain pills to get relief through out my day...... Belly band seems to offer support , when will I feel like myself again?!?!
I started to feel better at Week 5, but until then I did absolutely nothing apart from short walks, building up to longer ones.

I took lots of rest and was fortunate to have a helpful husband and friends who all pitched in - I realise everyone isn't as lucky as I was.

Take it easy.

Unread 05-29-2016, 07:20 PM

You are only in week 2, which is so early in recovery. You should only be resting, little walking & rest again. Keep rotate thru the day..I was able to wash some dishes on day 6, but then i took a break & rested. No house cleaning, no driving till youre off pain meds & no longer having pains. Any time you over do it, your body will protest w aches, pains, swelling, bleeding. Ice packs, heating pad help. I had a set back between week 2-3 & it kicked me back to week 1.. It took me a week to pull out of. Week 4 I felt human & then much better @week 5. This is a slow long recovery with inching forward & back.. Stircrazy can kick in, so find somethings to keep you preoccupied.
Unread 05-31-2016, 10:25 PM
16 days Post hysterectomy. Dr. says I overdid it. When will I feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
You are only in week 2, which is so early in recovery. You should only be resting, little walking & rest again. Keep rotate thru the day..I was able to wash some dishes on day 6, but then i took a break & rested. No house cleaning, no driving till youre off pain meds & no longer having pains. Any time you over do it, your body will protest w aches, pains, swelling, bleeding. Ice packs, heating pad help. I had a set back between week 2-3 & it kicked me back to week 1.. It took me a week to pull out of. Week 4 I felt human & then much better @week 5. This is a slow long recovery with inching forward & back.. Stircrazy can kick in, so find somethings to keep you preoccupied.
Thank you for your comments. I am 8 days post op and needed to read this today. I realized earlier that I am way early in my recovery and need to slow it down. So your comments were right on target!
Unread 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone. Im spotting today at day 14. first time Ive had any spotting PO. So it's disturbing. I feel crampier too, so of course Im blaming myself for 'overdoing'.
I drove to visit a friend, and walked in her garden. And Im bending a little , around the house. Is this too much?
STIR CRAZY already!
Unread 06-05-2016, 01:32 AM

Really avoid bending for a few weeks & when swellIng is down. Squat to pick things up.. Drs say no to driving until all pains are gone & off meds. A little activity or walkjng then rest, rotate thru the day but be sure to rest. If you do 1 big outing activity & dont get rest till later, your body will protest. I did dishes day 6, then rest. Dont sweep, vacuum, bend or lift. Youre going to have to put blinders on around the house for a few weeks unless you get help. Get preoccupied with an activity bc stircrazy kicks in.
Unread 06-05-2016, 07:14 AM

My easy TAH breakdown...

Month one, everyday was a new hell.
Month two, I continued to be careful, but could still overdo so easily.
Month three, finally feel almost normal.

Right up until you go tubing at almost 4 months out, have to swim against a current, then end up swollen and sore again. That only lasted a day though.

This is a long recovery. Hang in there! Take care of yourself. You only have one chance to heal right!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register