No Sex at 6 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Sex at 6 weeks No Sex at 6 weeks

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
No Sex at 6 weeks

I had hoped that at 6 weeks I would get the okay to have sex but the doctor told me that I need to wait another week. But the doctor does not want to see me again, so I guess I am real nervous that in 1 week nothing will have changed. I am afraid of tearing something. I had a LAVH, so I have like a rebuild vagina with the cuff at the top, which is where the stitches were. I am really afraid that my husband will punch through the new cuff if I am not totally healed. I wanted to hear that I was healed not to be told well you are :confused 98% healed so wait a bit. I think I will be afraid to ever have sex now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Re: No Sex at 6 weeks

Is your husband being supportive... you all have your lives to have sex... you only have one chance to heal... I am having a hard time to slow down myself... not to be crude but you can help your DH with his needs.... You will be able to have sex again... just relax and take care of yourself...
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM

WilmaLeah, I can imagine how you must feel. I have my 6 week appt on 4/20 and am hoping for the green light!

My big plan (for the 're-entry' event) is for me to be on top. That way I get to control - well everything! Depth of penetration, speed, direction,... all the parts that cause me some concern.

If you are worried that you won't be completely healed, schedule another appt with your Dr. just to make certain. It could even be with a nurse practicioner. Frankly, if I could see inside to see what the stitches look like (healed, still healing) I would be able to make the decision for myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 12:25 PM

i have a vaginal cuff too and i've been told not to even think about sex until 8 weeks... my dr will check at 6 weeks to see how i'm healing... its a long time, but i'd rather be safe than sorry...
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Yup, vaginal cuff here too. My doctor gave me the green light at 6 1/2 weeks. But that was after my exam so I felt confident that everything had healed. But my husband and I are still taking it slow, he is very understanding and prefers to wait until I say I have no pain or discomfort before trying lovemaking.
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Wilma -

If you are concerned it doesn't hurt to wait a bit longer. I was a slow healer so at 6 weeks Dr. told me to wait another 3 or 4. We waited about 3.5 but I bled and ended up with a yeast infection. Dr. said wait another 2 so I was closer to 12 weeks.

I do recommend being on top. Even now after all this time that is the best position for me.

G.
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:33 AM

Vaginal cuff here too. I've had sex several times since the surgery and was scared as well. If your doctor says you only need a week, I think it would be pretty safe to say your very close to being healed. But for your own sanity, take it slow the first time (maybe have a drink so that you're not so tensed up that you can't relax) and not too deep. And don't worry if there's a little spotting at first - I and lots of other women here have experienced that with no detrimental effects. I'm still not TOTALLY back to normal after 8 1/2 weeks, but I'm feeling better every day - and so will you!

Hugs,
Sue
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM

i was super freaked out too by the whole vaginal cuff thing and sex. i had to wait 8 weeks. the first time we attempted it, i still was really nervous, but we did lots of foreplay and by the time the actual event occurred i was really ready. sorry if thats TMI. i was still really worried for the next few times, but it went well every time, no pain, no discomfort so now i feel more relaxed. i know we could tell you it will be fine, but you wont feel that until you experience it yourself. and i suppose if you are really worried about how healed you are, you could make another appointment with your doctor to check your stitches again. maybe that would ease your mind. good luck.
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM

I wouldn't be to worried about it. I was allowed to have sex at 3 weeks and my dr said my stitches were still visible. Take it slow and at YOUR pace. =)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register