Decision made!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decision made!! Decision made!!

Unread 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Decision made!!

Today was my appointment with my surgeon. Went in with what I thought I wanted and a list of questions and concerns. Basically making the decision between an ablation and a hysterectomy. Concerned about the ablation due to history of hyperplasia and the chance of it returning without me knowing and then turning into cancer without symptoms.(have family history of GYN cancers) Also not convinced that it would even work for that condition anyway. Surgeon asked what we were thinking and told him all that was going on and my concerns and he said you basically brought up my concerns as well. Said he didn't think an ablation would be a good option for me and it's probably time for a hysterectomy since have tried multiple BCP and D&Cs. Now let's hope he can convince the insurance company. Just taking uterus. Leaving overies and cervix and doing it all laprascoprically. Debated cervix as my mother died of cervical cancer, but it is not genetic he said and could help with support in the future.

Still have some questions, but it is in two weeks which is great since I will be extra busy due to county fair time and should have time to recover as he thought I could be back to light work in 10 days or so. Don't have to be back to school(am a teacher) until the middle of August so even if it takes longer than he thinks, should be ok. Not exactly sure what was said about having to stay as I thought I at one time heard would stay one night and then the next time said go home same day. Will see what is said at pre op dr appt and nurse call. Don't have time right now to stress about it.

Just glad the decision is made and as my sister asked, am basically at peace with it now. The last month with the terrible headaches and other side effects from a last ditch effort birth control that turns out isn't even working has convinced me its time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Re: Decision made!!

I felt making the decision was the most stressful. I am 51 and had a full hysterectomy on June 8. I had to stay overnight but was discharged by noon the following day.

I am on week 3 and just getting back to my typing job only part-time. Everyone heals different. Honoring and listening to your body will be your main goal. You have only one time to heal right. I decided to embrace the recovery time.

Best of luck to you. You will find comfort on this site as I did, both before and after. Quite a few very informative sisters on here. I have gathered so much info on my road to healing. Take care.
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Congratulations on entering the next phase of this journey. Now is the time to start planning and preparing for your recovery!! Check out the hints from members link on the pre op forum. You'll find it packed with threads from sisters giving great suggestions and ideas for preparing your home and family!! Good luck to you!
:cathugs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Congrats on making a decision you feel comfortable with. Sending you good surgery thoughts!

Making the decision was the first hurdle for me, the second was the surgery itself and the last is having a good recovery. I am currently working on hurdle three. My doctor also gave me the choice of ablation or LSH. Initially I said ablation but two days later (after research & lots of pro/cons considerations), I changed to LSH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register