Scheduled dVH/RALH Why do they tell you to come so early? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why do they tell you to come so early? Why do they tell you to come so early?

Unread 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Why do they tell you to come so early?

I was told to arrive 2 hours early on Thursday. I will have to leave my house at 4:30a.m.! My poor DH... What will they have me doing? I already had a pre-op visit, so I'm picturing myself laying around very nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Re: Why do they tell you to come so early?

Yes, there is a lot of laying around. But they need time to set up the iv. Your doctor will likely visit you again before the surgery, as will the anesthesiologist. They will prep you in other necessary ways for the type of surgery you're having. This may include such things as shaving and disinfecting needed areas.

Ask for something to calm you while they do all this. They are usual happy to oblige. I have to be there at 6:45 tomorrow, so I will be on the road early too it my anesthetist told me to ask for Ativan first thing.
Honestly though, I'm happy I have to be there early. That means that I won't have to wait till later in the day. Waiting awake is a lot worse than waiting asleep.
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM

First I went in to confirm info, give cell number of person waiting with me, and put a nameband on. Then sat in the waiting room until I was called back. There I changed, and got situated. The nurse started an IV. The anesthesiologist came and talked with me. The surgeon came to see me. The OR RN came and introduced herself. Each person asked my name and birthdate and what surgery I was having and did I have medication allergies. In between I waited a bit but mainly I was busy with one staff or another. And the time seemed to go by quickly. I do think having first slot of the day is best. Best wishes for an easy wait and surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
...Each person asked my name and birthdate and what surgery I was having and did I have medication allergies...
I've noticed they do that whenever I go to the hospital for any kind of day surgery or even test. My mother has dementia, so I thought they were checking to see if I'd gone spla on them!

Finally, one day I just came out and asked a med tech, "Are you asking me that to test for cognitive function?"

She looked confused and then started laughing. It turns out that the reason everyone asks you that is to make sure they've got the right patient as you get transferred from one person's care to another!
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM

When my day-of comes, I've got to leave home at 6 AM to catch the 7 AM bus to be at the hospital at 9:30 AM. I've got no idea when the actual surgery will be - not my problem, really. My job is to show up on time!

When the hospital called to give me my time and date, originally they wanted me to be there at 6:45 AM. I said no, not happening, the earliest bus doesn't get to town until 9:10 AM and it's a 20-minute walk from the station. So they changed it to 9:30 AM and tagged my file to make sure no one else tries to change the time at the last minute.

But greyown's right - early slots are best. The later your slot, the more chance that someone ahead of you is going to take longer than expected, postponing your own surgery.
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM

I had the same experience as greyown with the exception of adding blood work and an EKG. My only pre-op consisted of an appointment with my surgeon. You'll see and meet quite a few people and feel like you should have made a sign with your name, birthdate, and procedure. Hopefully, by being first everyone will be lined up to get started and you won't feel like you are twiddling your thumbs. Good luck Ladies! See you on the other side!
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM

The hospital told me to be there at 6am and that my surgery is at 7:30am. Because I am so anemic I have to go for additional labs tomorrow. But no bowel prep or yucky liquids. I have cut back on heavy meals (mostly due to anxiety)
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM

I have to be in at 5:45 for an 8:00 surgery. They normally do that for a 7:00 surgery, but since the one before mine is a planned C-section, they know it may not take very long and they may get to take me early.
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM

I had to be there at 5:00am for 7:10am surgery...first slot. They did pretty much everything already mentioned. The nurse needed pregnancy pee test...I couldn't go quickly, so they did blood work...which didn't get done right...at least by then I could pee.

After the initial set up of IV, TED stockings, etc, my husband could come back. He got to meet all the "players". He stayed up until 5 minutes before since he needed to get breakfast (diabetic).
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM

All I can add to the above is that we also had to leave around 430 am and were told to be there 6.15 for the second surgery of the morning.

I ended up actually being operated on early because the first patient never showed up. This was fine with me as I just wanted to get it over with.

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register