A Few Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Few Questions A Few Questions

Unread 03-14-2003, 04:50 AM
A Few Questions

Hi, I am having a complete hysterectomy 3-24-03, and I will be cut from side to side, my doctor can not do it lap, because I have too much scar tissue due to previous surgeries.
When will I be able to take a shower? When will I be able to drive? How long will it be before I can have sex? Can someone give me info on this, and any other things I might need to know? I have two daughter (11, and 9) they can do some things on thier own, but I cook, make lunches, laudry, housekeeping, etc) My husband is taking 2 weeks off from work to help out, but he is in the military, so he is very busy. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 05:15 AM
A Few Questions

Hi GlendaLea,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm very sorry that you are facing surgery, I am so glad that you found us and posted.

Here are links to our pre-op and post-op hints, which I think will answer alot of your questions:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

Since your DH can be with you for the first two weeks, and your girls are the ages that they are, you should be just fine. But, it's always a good idea to alert your neighbors, friends and other family members that you are having surgery and may need them to help out some.

Since you will be restricted on lifting, bending, twisting, stretching, etc. for at least 6 weeks, now would be a great time to teach your DD's how to do the laundry, run the vacuum, and make their own lunches.

Please keep on reading and posting - we'll do our best to help. And here's an extra of thanks to your DH and all our military members and spouses.

's

Karen
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:09 AM
A Few Questions

Hi, GlendaLea!

I had pretty much the same surgery 10 days ago. Here are the instructions my surgeons and the hospital nurses gave me, but be aware that you may be given different instructions, so be sure to ask your doctor.

* Once your IV is out and you're steady on your feet, you'll probably be allowed to shower. I took my first shower 2 days after surgery. It's really not as hard as you might think to keep the incision clean.

* For driving: My doctor told me to wait at least 7 days, then drive as soon as I could confidently stomp on the brake without pain. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do some short drives this weekend. (After a similar surgery in '97, I was driving again in 9 days.) Do note that some women have been told by their doctors to wait much longer than this.

* I was told to wait at least 4 weeks before having sex, and that if I didn't feel up to it yet, to wait a couple of weeks more.

Good to hear that your husband has some time off to help, and that your kids are of an age to do some things on their own. If you're the primary cook in the house, you may want to make larger-than-usual quantities of food and freeze them. That was really helpful for us; my husband cooks occasionally but slowly, and having some "home cooking" ready helped both of us through those first few slow-moving days after I came back home.

Good luck!
Juliepede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 05:35 PM
A Few Questions

I had a TAH and rested completely for 2 weeks. At my check-up at that time I asked my DR what I could do. She said I could load/unload dishwasher, do laundry, and light cooking. She emphasized no lifting over 8# and to listen to my body. So, 2 weeks post I started getting up at 6:30 am, making lunches, and getting my 3 kiddies off to school. I started doing 1 load of laundry a day and dishes. I cooked a bit a night. At 3 weeks, I again questioned the DR on how much I should be doing. She encouraged me to gradually start doing more and more, no lifting and always listen to my body. I started doing a couple loads of laundry a day, dishes, and a little more housework; gradually. At 3 weeks, I could drive and started running errands, no big shopping trips, just the minimum amount to survive. I remember scrubbing the bathrooms at 4 weeks post. 1 on one day and the other the next day. Gradual was the key to success, because at 6 weeks I resumed everything. Work, intercourse, and exercise with no limitations and all has gone well since. Good luck on your castle visit and recovery. Always follow your instructions because he/she knows your physical condition best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register