problems with sex... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

problems with sex... problems with sex...

Unread 11-22-2008, 06:53 AM
problems with sex...

i am now about 10 weeks post-op (LAVH). have only had sex 3 times, once with me on top which went well. However, with my dh on top, especially this most recent time, I had a lot of irritation and pain where the vaginal cuff is and some at the entrance. afterwards, there was some very light spotting - light brown color as when the stitches were dissolving. Should i be concerned? it seems like a lot of the posters are able to have comfortable sex earlier on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 07:54 AM
problems with sex...

I have read some posts that it takes time to stretch out the vaginal cuff in some cases. I wouldnt be too concerned. And I spot also after sex. I guess it is all part of the healing process.
Unread 11-22-2008, 08:02 AM
problems with sex...

Oh, (((sister))) I hear you. It can be very frustrating to have a situation like this come up and feel you're not "part of the crowd" .

What I can tell you is something you've read many times before. Here it comes -- everybody's different. (I said you would have read it here before.)

Many (((sisters))) do report that their return to intimacy happens with no real issues. No pain, no bleeding, no need for additional lubrication... etc. However (and this is a big "however") many sisters DO have some issues.

I wonder if the irritation might be caused by a decrease in natural lubrication? This decrease may very well be temporary, but for now it might be a good idea to look into using a personal lubricant. There are lots of them available, and the HS store also offers an excellent product.

If you're concerned about the pain, I would advise you to call the . That is what they are there for! It's only natural that you would have some issues when you had a vaginal surgery.

Hope you are doing much better soon. Please let us know how everything turns out, OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 11:15 AM
problems with sex...

Hi Bwonk

It took us a few goes to get it right!

The first three times I was definately too nervous of how my body was feeling to relax and get in to things. We did try several positions and me being on top was easily the best.

I was warned by my Gyn to expect some spotting the first few times and it really has been minimal.

Happy practising!

Katy
Unread 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
problems with sex...

No physical relationship for me until I hit the six week mark, which was just recent. My Doc advised us to use a lubricant, and no swinging off the chandeliers when my partner and I did get together.

Patience, time, and caring will go a long way into easing you back into a physical relationship. If it hurts, then either go slowly or stop and try again later. You are still in healing mode!
Unread 11-22-2008, 04:32 PM
problems with sex...

I am 5 months post op and I still have bleeding. The dr thinks its ok and I will be seeing him again to get checked. I personally think it is part of the healing process.

Call you dr but don't worry too much about it.

Tophatt10
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
problems with sex...

I have had intermittent bleeding since I had the surgery. Doc says its most likely because there may still be some endometrial tissue left, even though the cervix top was cauterized. Its apparently difficult to get it all!

I don't have near the amount of bleeding I had, prior to surgery. For that I am grateful. Its gotten less and less each week. Doc says we will leave it alone. There is no pain and no clots.
Unread 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
problems with sex...

Surprisingly, sex is not nearly as painful as I thought, it is the few hours and day's after were I am sore and that's abdominally not vaginaly and I think thats because I had a TAH, I would assume that a LAVH would be a little more painful the first few times, as you had a vaginal surgery, I agree that a lubercant might help you, and may cut down on the spotting.
I hope this issue resolves itself quickly.
's
Diana
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
problems with sex...

There are still times when I have some pain and lubrication is certainly needed. This is something fairly new and I am NOT liking it one bit! My libido is not what it was, even a month ago! Having major issues also

To those that said they were still spotting months out, does your dr. know? I was told to expect spotting the first few times only.
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
problems with sex...

My partner and I have frequently used organic coconut oil for comfort!

As far as spotting goes, as long as there is a small amount of endometrial tissue remaining, and you have your ovaries, you can still spot. Everyone is different and one size does not fit all.

I can live with light spotting. After six weeks post surgery, I have none. But that could change around the time my cycle would have occurred prior to surgery. Only time will tell.

Best wishes and patience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register