Exercising - No pain, no gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercising - No pain, no gain? Exercising - No pain, no gain?

Unread 06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Exercising - No pain, no gain?

I'm two months post-op. I've been walking in the neighborhood almost every night since about the third or fourth week. The past three weeks, I've been working out in the mornings about three times a week, stretching and doing calisthenics and such. I'm trying to get my body back at least to where it was pre-op, which wasn't all that fit really, but better than it is now.

But whenever I do the stretching exercises, I'm in pain later in the day. It's been different parts of my body, shoulders, neck, butt, and today my mid back. I know if I keep it up, my body will get stronger and it won't hurt anymore, but it's hard when I know something's going to hurt afterward.

I know that whenever I workout regularly, and I get myself into pretty good shape, that if I take a couple of weeks off, it's like starting over again to get back to where I was. (Is this making any sense?) So I think that this is so difficult now, because I laid around recovering for four weeks (not complaining. I enjoyed it!) So instead of just not working out, I set my body back even farther by not being able to do anything. Add to that having major surgery, and my body is doing it's best to play catch-up.

I'm not overdoing it, or asking too much of myself. I'm working out gently, easing into it. (Anyone remember the old Jack Lalanne show? That's what I'm using. I love Jack!) And it doesn't hurt when I'm working out. But later, ouchies! But if I quit, it will be painful longer. I'm taking it easy, but not quitting.

So how about you? How are you doing with getting back to your workout habits? Any pain? Are you getting back to normal as quickly as you thought you would?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Re: Exercising - No pain, no gain?

Well I guess it depends on what kind of pain your having. If your not cramping or having pain near the surgery site I would say your ok. Maybe your just REALLY that out of shape, or maybe if your in that much pain you ARE doing too much. Like muscle soreness or something different?
I know, sorry. But I know what you mean about not doing anything for weeks. I am just about 4 weeks post op. I got back on the ole tread today and walked and even jogged for 10 min. I felt great doing it...no pain near surgery site during or after { so far}. But what was painful was my feet. My feet are so out of shape from the lack of running. I am guessing that our bodys started to go "down hill " fitness wise, and now we are trying to get them back in shape. It's going to take some time to get us back "in shape" like we were before. I think our muscles and bones are just like "what?" LOL
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Oh wow!! YES I remember Jack Lalane!! He was hot stuff...one of the first to use TV to preach the healthy lifestyle
Please listen to your body.....I am coming upon 4 weeks and just now starting to do more walking and a touch of yoga. I actually thought about looking up the 'Sit and Be Fit' schedule on cable - lol. And yes, youa re making total sense....this is what hapens as we get older- if we don't use it, we lose it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies! It was muscle pain, I guess from not being used much for about six weeks. But I'm keeping at it, and it's so much better now! It didn't take long to get back to where I was pre-op, just a couple of weeks! I'm so happy for that. Now if Hurricane Alex would finish raining on us, I can go back to the track and walk in the mornings again.
Unread 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM

I'm a little over two months post op and I started out with a trainer and worked on core strength at about the 3 week mark (DR cleared me to work out at two weeks) So there was cardio and weights three times a week. Now I've added Pilates twice a week and I'm loving it. I leave feeling as though I haven't done much but feeling rejuvinated...however the next day I know I did something. Then I run at least once either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I've only done that twice, setting my base line for 1.5 miles and 3 miles. I'm feeling great and loving the new found independence. You ladies keep it up...it does get easier. And the feet thing...my goodness when I went back to work and wore a pair of heels...My feet were sore for three days even in flats. Even now they get sore. It's amazing how the body reacts to not doing much...Enjoy the holiday weekend
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:48 PM

do you stretch before or after you walk/work out? IF you do a little bit before and then more extended stretching after, when your muscles are warm, you might find that you dont ache and hurt quite so badly...at least that helped me when I was working out and walking....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register