dVH/RALH post daVinci hysterectomy pain: Is it all in my head? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post daVinci hysterectomy pain: Is it all in my head? post daVinci hysterectomy pain: Is it all in my head?

Unread 04-04-2015, 09:56 AM
post daVinci hysterectomy pain: Is it all in my head?

So I had the DaVinci surgery and now I'm hearing others tell me they had the "Old fashion big rip in the gut scar surgery" and my pain is nothing compared and healing should be quick. But yeah it might be a better surgery and less recovery time but why do the make it seem like I'm in no pain because this is pretty painful. Is it in my head? I feel doubted when asked and like a baby when I say yes I'm in pain and sore. They just stare at me or get quite on the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Re: Is it all in my head?

It's not all in your head. Whether or not you had an open incision, you still had major surgery, it still hurts, just smaller incision lines. I understand what you mean though, I had the same surgery and was told by a few others that they were surprised I wasn't able to to get back to my normal routine directly after because when they had the "old fashioned" surgery they were able to bounce back pretty quick. Everyone is different and will heal at different levels, it's frustrating when other people doubt you though!
Unread 04-04-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny-Lane View Post
It's not all in your head. Whether or not you had an open incision, you still had major surgery, it still hurts, just smaller incision lines. I understand what you mean though, I had the same surgery and was told by a few others that they were surprised I wasn't able to to get back to my normal routine directly after because when they had the "old fashioned" surgery they were able to bounce back pretty quick. Everyone is different and will heal at different levels, it's frustrating when other people doubt you though!
Makes me feel so much better thank you! Last couple of days I hear so much and I think it makes me want to push myself more because of it. I just need to listen to my own body and not anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julespz View Post
So I had the DaVinci surgery and now I'm hearing others tell me they had the "Old fashion big rip in the gut scar surgery" and my pain is nothing compared and healing should be quick. But yeah it might be a better surgery and less recovery time but why do the make it seem like I'm in no pain because this is pretty painful. Is it in my head? I feel doubted when asked and like a baby when I say yes I'm in pain and sore. They just stare at me or get quite on the phone.
I had the exact same type of hysterectomy with the da Vinci and on the exact same day. It is absolutely not in your head. It is painful. We had a major operation done. Just know that the people who really love and care about you know that you have had a major surgery and that you are in pain and it's going to take time to recover. Stay strong
Unread 04-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse0226 View Post
I had the exact same type of hysterectomy with the da Vinci and on the exact same day. It is absolutely not in your head. It is painful. We had a major operation done. Just know that the people who really love and care about you know that you have had a major surgery and that you are in pain and it's going to take time to recover. Stay strong
Wow we are definitely hystersisters😊
Thank you and I wishing you speedy recovery
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:06 AM

I had a da Vinci done on the 25th and was literally coming here to ask your same question! I feel like such a big baby. I take a shower and am wiped out. I went to lunch with my mom yesterday and had to come home to nap. I hate feeling like this. I feel like it's a week and a half out so why am I still feeling crummy? I've been in my bed a majority of the time. I ran out of pain meds and called the doctor on call, and she was all confused about why I was still having pain! Then I felt stupid...glad to know I'm not the only one feeling bad.
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmel View Post
I had a da Vinci done on the 25th and was literally coming here to ask your same question! I feel like such a big baby. I take a shower and am wiped out. I went to lunch with my mom yesterday and had to come home to nap. I hate feeling like this. I feel like it's a week and a half out so why am I still feeling crummy? I've been in my bed a majority of the time. I ran out of pain meds and called the doctor on call, and she was all confused about why I was still having pain! Then I felt stupid...glad to know I'm not the only one feeling bad.
Omg don't even get me started on my doctor he literally yelled at me in the hospital day after surgery and told the nurse to get me off my pain meds,nausea meds and get me up walking now and make sure I'm discharged that night. I told him excuse me but you don't what I'm going though, the pain ,you just do the procedure you are not in this bed. I was furious! I know woman who have had surgery 3-4wks and still getting tired and just feel worn out going to the store. Be safe and get your rest don't push yourself.
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:35 AM

Ladies, don't worry about what others say, I had mine 3 months ago and was in quite a bit of pain for about a month you ladies are not even a week post op. Yes DaVinci is less invasive, but definitely not less painful. It also depends on why you had the surgery as well. And most people don't know that with DVH your positioning on the operating table is somewhat awkward and causes more pain in your back and possibly hips. I had a great recovery with no complications but definitely had pain. You also need to keep in mind that you probably have lots of internal stitches that need time to heal. Don't push your limits because of others. Listen to your body. I did nothing for the first 2 weeks. Not because I didn't want to but because I couldn't. Just climbing the stairs was a challenge. And yes taking a shower wiped me out, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel I do feel wonderful now. Just stay positive and take very good care of yourselves.
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimo184 View Post
Ladies, don't worry about what others say, I had mine 3 months ago and was in quite a bit of pain for about a month you ladies are not even a week post op. Yes DaVinci is less invasive, but definitely not less painful. It also depends on why you had the surgery as well. And most people don't know that with DVH your positioning on the operating table is somewhat awkward and causes more pain in your back and possibly hips. I had a great recovery with no complications but definitely had pain. You also need to keep in mind that you probably have lots of internal stitches that need time to heal. Don't push your limits because of others. Listen to your body. I did nothing for the first 2 weeks. Not because I didn't want to but because I couldn't. Just climbing the stairs was a challenge. And yes taking a shower wiped me out, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel I do feel wonderful now. Just stay positive and take very good care of yourselves.
Like like like! Thank you and explains why my back hurts sooooo bad!!
Unread 04-04-2015, 12:15 PM

No, it is not all in your head. There was major internal cutting, stitching and removal of your organs! No matter what route inside they took - open abdominal, lap/dv, or vaginal, it's all major surgery! The internal cutting and stitching still hurts just as much, and takes as long to recover.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register