Endometrial Ablation Questions | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation Questions Endometrial Ablation Questions

Unread 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Endometrial Ablation Questions

For those of you who have had an endometrial ablation could you please help out with some questions?

I am considering getting the ablation for my extremely heavy periods. I am currently on BCP which controls the heavy bleeding, but I still get some of the other fun symptoms that go along with my period.

If you had the ablation, did it also help with the bloating, cramping, breast tenderness and headaches, or does it only address the issue of the heavy bleeding?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Re: Endometrial Ablation Questions

It only helps the bleeding. I had it July 2008 and ended up with a hystrectomy March 2009. Please look at the side effects and consider it before hand. I ended up with andemosyis(very painful) I am not tryig to pursade you but consider everything.
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:36 PM

Hi Tia

Here is a link to a website with info & message boards on ablation: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/

I hope you are able to find the right answers. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Just had my EA on Friday, but I plan to send updates on how effective it is. My next "scheduled" period is in late December. I have read so many things that say yes, it helps bleeding AND more, and other things that say bleeding only. I hope you can find good, solid info that will help you make a good decision.

Best,

dee
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM

Kudos to you for exploring your options. I have family, friends and co-workers who've successfully avoided hysterectomy by having an endometrial ablation. My older sister was angry that her doc insisted she try ablation before hyst ~~~ but hers was an absolute success story. Not even one period afterward! Mine was a breeze. I would have gladly tried for a repeat if it had been an option.

Out of all my "ablation friends," so far I am the only one who had to go on to have a hysterectomy. There are many success stories thanks to E.A., but keep in mind that most of those women are off enjoying their improved health, rather than posting on the boards. We love it when they come back or stick around to tell their success story though!
Best wishes to you as you explore your path to better health.

Beth
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:45 AM

I had an ablation in November 2005 and had no problems at all for about 2 years. Then the bleeding and pain, etc. started up again. I have many friends who have had ablations and are fine years later. The decision is very personal and there's really no way of knowing how well it will work for each individual. It is a much less invasive procedure; however, so many women try the ablation in hopes of avoiding a hysterectomy, or at least buying some time.
good luck
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:08 AM

I had an ablation july of 2008. When I went back for my post op, 6 weeks later, I was still bleeding from the surgery. At the time it was a success to me, b/c I was bleeding lighter. I didnt need to wear a pad and tampon together. My doctor though said the surgery was a failure and that it would be a matter of time before I needed a hysterectomy. He was right, by dec/jan I was bleeding extremely heavy again. I had my TAH on October 2nd. I chose the ablation first b/c I needed to mentally distance myself from the possibility of not having anymore children. I also had a tubal when I did the ablation. You have to either have a tubal or still be on BC, b/c when they destroy your lining, if by chance you get pregnant, the baby will grow into the muscle wall...and that is dangerous. Hindsite...I should have done the hysterectomy first...but mentally I was not prepared for it at the time.
I am happy w/ my TAH.
Oh..and the ablation only helps w/ bleeding, I never had any relief from the cramps...but then again..the surgery was a flop for me...
Good luck to you....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register