How long until housework? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long until housework? How long until housework?

Unread 11-07-2011, 04:10 AM
How long until housework?

The jeans thread made me remember I wanted to ask this.

I am having a TAH, (abdominal)

I have a 4 year old dd with special needs too!

When did you all start doing various household tasks, such as ironing, washing, hoovering, cleaning etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Re: How long until housework?

It was about 3 weeks before I got the go ahead that I could start light house work but still no lifting...such as laundry baskets,trash bags, etc. You're Dr. should give you guide lines to follow and its really important to follow them even if you feel better because internally you have alot of healing to do. If he/she doesnt give specific instruction then ask for your own sake.

Tracy
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:27 AM

I'm not quite 3 weeks out and the only thing I've been able to help with is folding laundry. My instructions were I could resume light activity at 4 weeks. I did try to vacuum a bit because the dog tore up some trash in the kitchen, but that was not a good idea. You have no idea how much you use your abdominal muscles in everyday tasks until you use them post-surgery. Take the time to heal, and ignore the dust bunnies & clutter. You'll be back to cleaning soon enough. Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:06 AM

It will be months before you can do everything as you used to. Vacuuming is one of the last things to return.

I found I can do parts of tasks before whole tasks. For example, if someone else carts down the laundry, I can take the day and complete the rest of it, as long as someone else carries it back up. I can cook, as long as someone else heaved any heavy pots (water for pasta, etc). With planning and help at the right time, this works.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM

I had TAH and I started ironing about 3 weeks post op, putting up dishes and doing some small loads of laundry.

At 4 weeks, I tried to mop..........that didn't feel good. It made me use my abs too much so I waited until 6 weeks out.

I still haven't vacuumed yet, but have returned to all of my other normal chores.

Oh, my husband still goes with me to buy groceries to pick up any heavy things (cases of water, cokes, gatorade, etc.) or in case the buggy gets too heavy for me to push.

I'm trying REALLY hard to take it easy.

Its true what all of the ladies have said. You only have one chance to heal correctly..........so don't mess it up.
Unread 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM

okay thank you that was helpful
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Just take it slow and steady. The physio at the hospital told me that you can still do most things as long as you keep the loads light, eg carry a few things to the washing machine, just hang them over an airer, just iron a couple of things at a time. I am leaving all heavy stuff to my husband - vaccuuming, making beds etc, but I can cook a light meal. If it feels too much don't do it and just break things down into small chunks with big rests in between.
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Check out the hysterectomy checkpoints they give you some ideas on activity levels at various stages.

Unread 11-08-2011, 04:33 AM

oh thank you, where can I find the hysterectomy checkpoints on the site?
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:38 AM

Here's a link to them:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/mycheckpoint.php

They are also on the blue menu bar on the left.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register