4-1/2 months post op; still swelling and sore below belly button | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4-1/2 months post op; still swelling and sore below belly button 4-1/2 months post op; still swelling and sore below belly button

Unread 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
4-1/2 months post op; still swelling and sore below belly button

Hello. I am new to this forum and am here for support and hopefully some answers. I had a Divinci style total hysterectomy on December 8th, 2011. I am told that most have a pretty speedy recovery from this, but I am lagging. I have a lot of swelling and soreness just below belly button and most all the way across my belly. I don't know whether I should be concerned about this or not. I have endomitriosis and they had to do quite a lot of lasering on my intestines, so I am not sure if it is that still healing or something I should be worried about. I don't know whether I should be respecting my pain and holding off on my physical activity or pushing myself for more physical activity. ??? I am extremely frustrated and concerned with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Re: 4-1/2 months post op; still swelling and sore below belly button

I had a TAH BSO on November 29th, and I am still feeling tender and sore at times. I also had endometriosis excised. According to what I've read on here, it can take up to a year to be healed from the surgery. I am still doing all that I can. For the most part, I am doing everything that I did before the surgery, I just make sure that I take care of myself, too. I have been back to the gym since 7 weeks post-op, doing weights and cardio. However, I don't push myself beyond my limits. Remember, healing is a marathon, not a sprint.

I hope it helps to know that what you are feeling is probably quite normal. However, if you are concerned about the level of discomfort you have, make sure you check with your doctor. Take care!
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM

What really has me concerned is that there is never a time when I have been pain-free (or comfortable). Is it the same for you? I have not been able to wear jeans that fit me since my surgery. I have to wear jeans that are too big or sweat pants. Thank you so much for your input and help. I feel like I have plateaued & it's been over a month since I have felt like there has been progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:44 PM

I've been able to do everything that I did before, but I have to be careful. My belly still feels like a big bruise. I am lucky that my work clothes are the most comfortable clothes I own - dress pants with built in support, the right combination of support and stretch.

I think we need to be patient with ourselves. I know that getting rid of the endo caused a lot of extra area that needs to be healed. I hope this helps. Hugs to you!
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:27 PM

I had my surgery on Jan 4th and I have a very strenuous job where I occassionally have to lift or push furniture. I have also started working out and using an eliptical machine. I found that the day after doing anything pushing or pulling or elipitical I am having pain in and around my incisions and the other day I had a hard knot around my upper incision, after using the eliptical the day before. I think this is all do to inner healing. So I just try to be patient and listen to my body just as I did before and take time to let my body recover whenever I experience one of these pain issues. I feel like a real wus, but hey.. I'll have to get back to old self one of these days, it just won't be as soon as I wish it could be.
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:02 AM

Thank you both so much. You are giving me so much peace of mind, I cannot tell you how much you have helped.
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm experiencing the same thing at 2months post op. I get a severe pinching feeling arount left ovary area and major swelly belly from time to time...even went in for internal ultra sound thinking a cysts must be growing...all tests came back normal...Dr said its internal ligaments and muscle healing and overdoing it can put pressure on my weak abdomen muscles....its scary and frustrating but it takes months I've read to fully heal and have organs resettle....I even get lower backache with it at times....rest when you can and breath easier...I try to tell myself..This too shall pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register