What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like? What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like?

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like?

So I'm less than two weeks from my surgery, and still questioning what the heck am I about to do to my body!

When the doctor asks about periods, yes, I say very painful and heavy bleeding, but to be honest, I can't remember what a normal period is supposed to feel like. And of course, there are medical reasons for that, or surgery wouldn't be recommended.

But now I'm thinking...I can't remember how a normal period feels. How painful is it? Do women actually take Midol or Pamprin and their pain completely goes away? I mean - they feel NOTHING? It does absolutely zero for me, yet every month, I try it once anyway, I have no idea why.

Are women normally miserable during their period, and if so, to what degree? I have nothing to compare what my period is to what a normal period is. What if what I experience is not that different than what "normal" is?

My doctor said I could get an ablation for heavy bleeding, but the pain would still be there, and the idea of what would be left inside to continue growing is not a pleasant thought.

Can someone please tell me what is "normal"? I'm questioning everything - right now I'm wondering if I am over-exaggerating my symptoms! Maybe during my period I'm SUPPOSED to be absolutely miserable and others suck it up while I'm just a wuss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Re: What is a normal period SUPPOSED to feel like?

My periods were very heavy but I never had pain really. I occasionally would get a headache and once in a while I'd get mild cramps (not painful enough to take anything). Does that help?
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:04 AM

Yes, thank you JAguirre. : ) It's amazing you didn't have to take anything for pain, or at least it didn't hurt enough to do so. I guess I'm not over-exaggerating my symptoms and am simply over thinking this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:25 AM

Runningwoman,,,I saw on Dr. Oz what most "normal women" bleed during their cycle. He held up a cup--it was the size of a small medicine cup that comes with Nyquil--and it was about 3/4 full.

Well, I bust a gut laughing thinking that was a joke. NO WAY. I mean,,I do that in a 1/2 hr some days. EASY. It was a SHOCK, beacuse you are right, we have nothing to compare it to...

My "normal period" is pain, cramping, diarrhea, LOTS of bleeding and clots and lasts a minimum of 10 days, on a regular month. Ive also bled for several months continuosly.

Not to mention, I could always feel pain when I was ovulating & always get the monster headache a day or 2 before the bleeding starts with the usual bloating. My melasma also darkens a week before my period. (Thanks birth control pills,,you ruined my skin as well)

So--you are NOT alone BY FAR!!!

Blessings
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:52 AM

Pain and misery before, during, and after is not normal. Losing dangerous amounts of blood every month is not normal either.

I can't tell you how many times drs told me women are meant to suffer and I was just a wuss. For a while I went to the ER every month to be treated for unbearable pain and shock. I could stop going to the ER only when some of my nerves were cut in a controversial procedure (psn).

Now I am FREE! Pathology report revealed endo, cysts, precancerous cells, and inflammation of the cervix. Definitely not normal. Don't live in pain. You deserve better!
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Melasma - it didn't even fill up a Nyquil medicine cup??? That's crazy! While I'm sure women had no idea it was such a small amount, and there's no way I could measure my period, but the biggest tampon and pad together and still changing them every two hours seems like it would fill that medicine cup pretty quickly several times over? You're right, that is a joke!

You period sounds absolutely awful! Mine lasts for 6-7 days, but I just had surgery to remove the "village" growing inside of me two years ago and this is the THIRD time it's all come back! I don't understand why it gets so bad so quickly and am really confused. Even after every surgery, I still never had what I "think" a normal period is supposed to be, but am unsure - just take Midol and be fine? Really? Yet it's been sold for years, so I can only think it must work for women.

I hope we won't feel anything when we ovulate after the surgery! I've read sometimes people do, and my doctor warned me of that, and a bit of cramping around my period time, although I don't understand that? What would I be cramping from exactly?
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM

ActIII -

Are you kidding me? You would go to the emergency room from being in so much pain and that that is what they would tell you? That women were made to suffer? They didn't give you an ultrasound at the very least? That is horrible!! I thought an OB/GYN *had* to be staffed at all times in a hospital or they would have to close, but maybe I'm wrong. Well, obviously I have something, but whether or not it was an OB/GYN or a family physician, I think that is negligence!!

I love how you sound so much happier after your surgery. That makes me feel a lot better. I keep thinking of worse-case scenarios, and of course reading post-op questions in the forums scares me. I realize women are usually going to post questions when something is concerning them and won't really post to say, "Hey, I'm doing great! This is a breeze!", although you did, and thank you! : )

I'm going to go forward with the surgery, I am just very hesitant and, I'm sure it's normal, scared! Thanks ActIII! : )
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Back when I had "normal" periods, I experienced a day or two of being a bit crampy- seldom severe enough to even involve advil, had to retire my skinny jeans for 3 or 4 days and wanted chocolate.
Every few months, I'd have what I oh-so-niavely called a "bad" period and would need advil for the cramps and be wildly crabby. (If only I'd known what a "bad" period" *really* was, I'd have felt grateful for how moderate those were).
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM

For comparison, I think I had normal periods. Except I had prementrual mood issues in my 30s. My periods were regular, and 4 days. I can count on my fingers the number of times I had enough pain for tylenol or any med at all, usually no pain. I used "regular" tampons day 1 and 4, "super" days 2 and 4, changed them every few hrs. In perimenopause I added a pad or liner because they got a bit heavier due to a fibroid, and I had one super heavy period, ever. I had no idea ladies suffered like you do, and I'm appalled Drs expect you to tolerate that nonsense. I believe my periods should be what Drs expect women to tolerate, not pain and heavy flow. No one should be expected to endure that. I'm so sorry you are subjected to that attitude. If I'd suffered like that my uterus would have been long gone. I could not have gone on like that, my heavy period was probably nothing compared to what many of you have, and I couldn't have lived like that monthly. Do not feel like a wuss. Your Drs just don't get it.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM

RunningWoman (I used to run 5k, lol until it got really bad), gyns and gps told me to suck it up. At the ER, initially I was treated like a drug addict until my pee test came back and then I got a shot of toradol in the hip. Relief was IMMEDIATE. To be fair to the hospital staff, there is a drug culture in the community.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register