Hair Hair And More Hair!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Hair And More Hair!!! Hair Hair And More Hair!!!

Unread 02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Hair Hair And More Hair!!!

before I say anything else just wanted to comment once more on how much this site has helped me. I'm now at almost 5 months post surgery, so much back into my normal life that I forget it happened a lot of the time, but I will never forget how the hystersisters helped me through that strange world apart that is the first 7-8 weeks post op.
OK re: hair, I had the same problem and around 8 weeks ago it was really frightening how much hair was coming out - on my pillow, on my hairbrush, on my desk at work, just about every time I ran a hand through my hair. But my mum, who has had major surgery several times, told me that this is universal in women post surgery - doctors don't tell us about it but think of the stress to the body and this is a reaction to it. It seems delayed but actually it shows up when the new hair starts to grow in. And now the rate of fall has slowed down and when I touch the roots it feels all velvety with new hair growth. I think what helped me a lot was stabilizing the hormone situation with daily estradiol 1mg HRT (my doctor experimented with Tibolone but that was not working too well for me). Also don't wash hair so often, be kind to your hair, don't colour it, if you cut it then make sure you explain the situation to a sympathetic hairdresser, eat a balanced diet, take a skin/hair/nails vitamin complex, and just try not to think about it. It almost certainly is not as noticeable to others as it is to you. OK so maybe you will not win any prizes for tresses of the year but it will recover. This is the advice of my mum and me. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 02:01 PM

my hair was always one of my favourite parts of my body. about 2 weeks after surgery i noticed a big change in my hair. it felt like horse hair, all course and unmanagable. i first noticed it when i showered, i couldn't run my fingers threw it. also my hair stopped growing. EVERYWHERE usually my hair grows really fast but not any more. the amounts of it im loosing is scary.im 3 months post op now and it seems to be getting better. still falling out but the texture is better.
Unread 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Also, it is important to remember that people normally lose between 75 and 150 hairs a day, sounds like a lot, it is. But it is true. You can check this by cleaning your brush, brush your hair a few times, then before bed brush it and count the strands. There are also hairs that just plain fall and you don't see them. I myself have never counted 75 or 150 hairs that i have lost, but i have gotten close, and i figured the ones missing were the ones i didn't see fall out. I tested this by a week of checking.....This i learned in beauty school, and it was one of the questions on my boards (test i had to take to get my license). FleurDallas is right with all she said, however i would suggest that you massage your scalp as often as you can, the more the stimulation your scalp gets, the more it stirs up the folicle. Hang in there. As I and several others have said, always talk to your Dr. And check with a GNC store, they are very helpful, and they know their stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2007, 03:35 PM

I don't wash my hair everyday (about every 3 days I shampoo and used a good conditioner and protein treatment). I use a straightening balm and shine booster. All I do is wet my hair, rinse with hot water, and pat dry with a towel. I comb through it once it's nearly dry. I had my hair chemically straightened so I won't have to blowdry and spend an hr each day getting it straight. I love it now because it's soooooooooo straight. I had my hair cut into a bob right before my surgery and I'm working on growing it out to chin length. My hair is still a little thin near my temples but I have wispy baby hairs growing back.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm1125
Also, it is important to remember that people normally lose between 75 and 150 hairs a day, sounds like a lot, it is. But it is true. You can check this by cleaning your brush, brush your hair a few times, then before bed brush it and count the strands. There are also hairs that just plain fall and you don't see them. I myself have never counted 75 or 150 hairs that i have lost, but i have gotten close, and i figured the ones missing were the ones i didn't see fall out. I tested this by a week of checking.....This i learned in beauty school, and it was one of the questions on my boards (test i had to take to get my license). FleurDallas is right with all she said, however i would suggest that you massage your scalp as often as you can, the more the stimulation your scalp gets, the more it stirs up the folicle. Hang in there. As I and several others have said, always talk to your Dr. And check with a GNC store, they are very helpful, and they know their stuff.
Thanks TLM for the validation. I have been through hair loss so many times I stopped freaking out over it. Once I thought I was going to lose my entire bang area plus the all over thinning. I am a person who can lose hair over anything. Hormone change, hair release, thyroid swing, hair release, get a divorce, hair release, have stress on the job, hair release, every single surgery (and there have been three), hair release, lose 100 pounds in a year, hair release, medication reaction, hair release, you name it hair release. I have learned to identify it early, baby my hair to reduce the loss and just wait it out. I have cut my hair above my shoulders more times in the last 15 years than I care to count to deal with hair loss. I did experience some hair loss after my surgery, in fact coming off the last part of that cycle of loss, but it's wasn't significant this time around. On a positive note after all those loss cycles my hair today at 49 is very nearly as thick as it was 20 years ago. So it can regrow after losing it.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:14 PM

FleurDallas, do you happen to have alipicia, not sure i am spelling it right. It is hair loss due to a disorder. It sure sounds like that may be your case. I know that stress, hormone change, and everything you mentioned can cause hair loss, but some people just have the disorder. There is help for it if you can identify the clinical problem.. And i may be able to help with suggesting a product that some of my clients used and it worked for them.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM

TLM, suggest away. I am always open to suggestions.

I don't believe that I have alopecia because I have never gotten bald spots, just overall thinning. Also my hair has always grown back in just as thick if not thicker after each hair loss. I have girlfriends who have had alopecia who continue to have the same bald spots with little relief or regrowth. I could be wrong though.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Alopecia,(thanks for the spelling) is not the same as alopecia areaota, which is the balding spots. Alopecia is just loss of hair due to a disorder. I suggest to anyone that has major hair loss to do exactly as you said in your last post, also go to a good hair salon and ask for Nixion, if they don't sell it, then ask where you can get it. We have beauty supply stores here that you do not need a license to buy stuff, unless it is chemicals. Every client i have had that used it liked it. Good luck, and if you can not find it, let me know and i will help you.
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm1125
Alopecia,(thanks for the spelling) is not the same as alopecia areaota, which is the balding spots. Alopecia is just loss of hair due to a disorder.
OK, I thought there was just one kind. Can you tell me more?

Thanks
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:45 PM

I suggest to anyone that has major hair loss to do exactly as you said in your last post, also go to a good hair salon and ask for Nixion, if they don't sell it, then ask where you can get it. We have beauty supply stores here that you do not need a license to buy stuff, unless it is chemicals. Every client i have had that used it liked it. Good luck, and if you can not find it, let me know and i will help you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register