Panic about surgery, potential weight gain with PH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Panic about surgery, potential weight gain with PH Panic about surgery, potential weight gain with PH

Unread 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Panic about surgery, potential weight gain with PH

I am scheduled for a partial hysterectomy on 9 January. I've felt pretty peaceful about until this evening. I was reading some articles on-line about partial hysterectomy and alot of ladies said that they gained weight - a substantial amount - after the PH due to decreased blood flow to the ovaries. I feel very stressed over this.

I'm also reading everything from, "you'll be feeling pretty good within a few days" to " It took a year to feel well again." I understand that everyone has different experiences, but I just don't know what to think anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Re: Panic about surgery, potential weight gain with PH

Well, I can reassure you that I haven't gained at all. I am down about 20 lbs from my pre-op weigh-in. Some of that was stress before the surgery (7 lbs during the week prior) some after surgery (7lbs but I gained it back in recovery) and the rest is me walking and watching my calories. I was on a weight loss journey before the surgery and it really didn't change a lot. I continue losing at a slow but steady rate and I am within 10 lbs of my second goal. I have also gone into menopause according to my blood work and whether it was due to my surgery or it was time for my body at this age, I will never know but that hasn't impacted my weight either. I hope this reassures you so you can focus on your recovery and getting well after your surgery.
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm second guessing myself and my decision to have the surgery this evening ;the added stress of potential weight gain was the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, and I am pretty sure I have lost weight. My scale is not super accurate (can get a 15 lb spread depending how you step on it), but I can just tell. I have been making a point to watch what I eat, though. I kept my ovaries and they seem to be working - no hint of any hot flashes. I wouldn't let weight worries keep you from doing in it, if you really need it.
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:07 AM

I have lost weight, since my surgery. By my 5 month mark I had lost 14 pounds. I've lost a total of about 20 lbs, but in the last month, I haven't been as diligent as I should have been and have gained a few of those pounds back. I haven't been exercising as much. I don't own a scale, so I just wait to be surprised when I go to see my doctor evrry 3 months. LOL I know that I should by a scale, but I don't want to be obsessed with it. I'll let you know on Fri. I have a doctor's appointment

Every person is different. Try not to let the weight that you may or may not gain be your main focus. Try instead to focus on the better quality of life that you will have.

((HUGS))
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:13 AM

I lost 14 pounds IMMEDIETLY after surgery. Couldn't keep my underwear up leaving the hospital. Had my 6 week check yesterday, lost another 3.
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Hi,

I can also chime in with a loss. Down about 20 lbs. I'm stuck at the moment due to bronchitis limiting my physical activity, but as soon as it clears out, it's full steam ahead for more loss!

It actually is easier for me to lose now. I guess that big hunk of disease inside my body was impacting my ability to lose weight!
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM

I sincerely appreciate y'all sharing your experiences. I had been so nervous about the actual surgery that I hadn't given the after affects any thought. I'm not overweight now - was underweight before and have put on fifteen pounds since I hit my forties. Putting on more wouldn't be good though and the thought really upset me. I've always been active and will continue to be as soon as I'm able after surgery. Working on getting my body as healthy as possible leading up to my surgery also.

I know that everyone has a different experience with surgery/recovery,but what advice can you give me on pain management. Getting rid of the "gas" that I hear so much about after surgery.

Also: what did you do to prepare for surgery the night before and day of? I normally am a pretty calm person, but surgery and actually walking into the hospital the day of surgery causes me major anxiety.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice.
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM

I didn't have any gas. I don't know if some folks who have lap procedures have more gas? Don't they pump the belly full for those to see better? I do know they gave me Gas-X in the hospital, so must be something they try and mitigate.

As for pain, I had Morphine pump for first day and Toradol in IV every 6 hours. I was still pretty crampy for maybe first 24 hours. After that they put me on Percocet, which did a good job. Never had a problem managing pain at home with Percocet and Motrin. Didn't really need Percocet after a week.

I didn't really do anything to prep for hospital other than paint my toenails pink and think positive thoughts. Oh....and the ordered enema the night before
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Painting the toenails sounds great...the enema, not so much I will keep that in mind for prep though since I'm sure that it is important. I hope to be so prepared for the surgery that I'll be up an within a few weeks after surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register